What about Arcturus new album? Better than Opeth...

pfft, Arcturus is only for the pure open minded. If you just want metal, then why would you want this?

I am sure we will have nothing to worry about

Ikil

I don`t expect very much from an UK mag.

Sideshow album is great. I thought so about Orchid also when it was released...but it took 10 years before mags thought so to...

annt said:
Didn't Simen sing a couple of songs on Masquerade too?

Yes, he certainly did... The Chaos Path for one off the top of my head.
Sweet, sweet Simen... :dopey:

:yow: he's a hottie.. and his voice... *melts* Yes please!

Yeah, he featured on 3 tracks, Master of Disguise, The Chaos Path and Painting My Horror. Amazing vocalist , he is going to waste in Dimmu Borgir.

Ikil

Darren White used to be my neighbour, he is a top bloke...

If you like the early Anathema stuff, you should check out his later bands (The Blood Divine, Dead Men Dream and Serotonal). If you need additional information, let me know and I will point you in the right direction.

FUBAR said:
I just bought Rocksound the UKs best rock/metal mag and heres their review of 'sideshow symphonies';

'Who?
Norwgian death metallers gone soft
Sounds Like?
A dumb west end metal show
Standout track?
'Hibernation SIckness complete'
Verdict?
Lesson in metal #1368) you can be too prog to be metal. Painful listening'

Oh well I'm still buying it...I like prog

that's probably some guy that listens to drivel like Killswitch engage, superjoint ritual, and lamb of god 24/7. People that don't like Arcturus are fucking retarded in my opinion, some of the best music put out today. :Spin:

i've alway seen Arturus as a twin-band to In The Woods. these two are amongst the most original and brilliant bands i've ever listened to...

Is the new Arcturus anything similar to The Sham Mirrors? Is the new singer doing all clean or also extreme vocals? I thought Garm's singing was amazing and his first replacement, the Spiral Architect dude, would do great as well. I've heard the new guy before but can't bring myself as a sole front man.

Also what label sent out those promos you're talking about?

Those who've heard the new Ulver, how would you compare it to the new Arcturus?

Vortex use to front Borknagar, and he did very well for them as well. His performance on The Archaic Course was senstional! An amazing vocalist, one of my faves. Still, I think Garm is better.

Ikil

bball_1523 said:
question: why are you guys concerned about what's the best album of the year? Can't you guys just enjoy the music for the music without worrying about what's best?

Becasue if there`s a album almost as good as Ghost Reveries or even better i need to fukkin know it now!!!!!!!!

:wave:

Deadlift said:
Becasue if there`s a album almost as good as Ghost Reveries or even better i need to fukkin know it now!!!!!!!!

:wave:

lol, it's all subjective. There's many that love Dream Theater's Octavarium and probably think it's album of the year. IMO, not even close to Opeth's GR, but who cares. Listen and love what you want.

Thats cool that darren white used to be your neighbor. I just bought Pentecost3/Crestfallen EP last night. now, this is more my taste i definitely like their older work more than the newer stuff.

batmura said:
Someone answer my question at the end of page 2.

"Is the new Arcturus anything similar to The Sham Mirrors?"

I think "Sideshow" is better. Better songs/melodies, better structure and just simply better overall. The album is overall better and has no weak parts that "Sham Mirrors" had.

"Is the new singer doing all clean or also extreme vocals?"

Some extreme vocals, but mostly normal vocals.

"Also what label sent out those promos you're talking about?"

I don`t know.

"Those who've heard the new Ulver, how would you compare it to the new Arcturus?"

I can`t compare thoose albums. Ulvers new one sucks. "Bergtatt" was really good. "Blood Inside" is just weird and fucked up.

Arcturus "Sideshow" is really good. It`s an album were you want to listen to every song on it and not skipping any.

I guess a few others here will have another opinion. But for me Ulvers new album isn`t even close to be as good as "Bergtatt". Far from it.

Conclusion: Arcturus is much much much better.

:p

Deadlift said:
"Is the new Arcturus anything similar to The Sham Mirrors?"

I think "Sideshow" is better. Better songs/melodies, better structure and just simply better overall. The album is overall better and has no weak parts that "Sham Mirrors" had.

"Is the new singer doing all clean or also extreme vocals?"

Some extreme vocals, but mostly normal vocals.

"Also what label sent out those promos you're talking about?"

I don`t know.

"Those who've heard the new Ulver, how would you compare it to the new Arcturus?"

I can`t compare thoose albums. Ulvers new one sucks. "Bergtatt" was really good. "Blood Inside" is just weird and fucked up.

Arcturus "Sideshow" is really good. It`s an album were you want to listen to every song on it and not skipping any.

I guess a few others here will have another opinion. But for me Ulvers new album isn`t even close to be as good as "Bergtatt". Far from it.

Conclusion: Arcturus is much much much better.

:p

Agreed on pretty much everything, I just got the album in the mail today ( :hotjump: ) and even though i've heard it already, it's just fucking awesome.

The only thing I don't agree with you on is Blood Inside sucking. It's a great album, but of course not for everyone. Bergtatt as well is fucking amazing. Anyway, yea.

Best 2 tracks are Shipwrecked Frontier Pioneer and Evacuation Code Deciphered. The new singer takes some getting used to, but it all works out in the end. Definitely one of the more exiciting albums put out this year.

One thing to note about the female backup singer, Silje Wergeland is truly amazing. The way she harmonizes with Simen on the last minute or so of "Evacuation Code" is probably the best moment on the entire record. I wish they would use more of this technique on the next album!

She also sings in this all girl goth metal band called Octavia Separati. Not my cup of tea though. Sounds way too much like Mandylion-era Gathering.

Ahamkara said:
Best 2 tracks are Shipwrecked Frontier Pioneer and Evacuation Code Deciphered. The new singer takes some getting used to, but it all works out in the end. Definitely one of the more exiciting albums put out this year.

One thing to note about the female backup singer, Silje Wergeland is truly amazing. The way she harmonizes with Simen on the last minute or so of "Evacuation Code" is probably the best moment on the entire record. I wish they would use more of this technique on the next album!

She also sings in this all girl goth metal band called Octavia Separati. Not my cup of tea though. Sounds way too much like Mandylion-era Gathering.

THANK YOU! for saying something about the end of "Evacuation Code", I also agree that it is probably the best moment on the album.