What albums that the more you listen...

Immolation- Harnessing Ruin
The Chasm- The Spell of Retribution

Both of these should have been fucking excellent albums... but no, both of them made mainstream bids. What makes it worse is that the two best bands going in death metal sold out within a period of a few months.

And to make it worse, Varathron also decided to sell out at about the same time with "Crowsreign"- but at least they did it somewhat gracefully, creating a solid epic "heavy metal" album that's still good, just not a patch on "His Majesty at the Swamp". Also, in their case, it was sort of expected.

The Spell of Retribution is fantastic.

* All of Bloodbath - irritating and generic
* I find My Dying Bride to be very mood orientated music.
* Blut aus Nord - TWWTG is massively overrated and can get boring quickly.
* Suffocation can become intolerable after over-play. Although Effigy is fantastic.

Thats all for now.

Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache
I work at Target and they play these guys video in the Electronics department. I thought one of their songs was pretty cool. I think it was "Rose of Sharon". I ended up getting the album as a free selection from BMG. One of the most annoying and horrid bands ever. The clean vocals make me wanna rip my skin off. Sold this one back to FYE used.

The Darkness - Permission to Land
I'll admit I really dug "I Believe In A Thing Called Love". I wasn't obsessed with it but it was catchy. So along with the Killswitch album I got this as a free selection from BMG. ANNOYING and HORRID. I was expecting something cool and a nod to Queen and Thin Lizzy. I was wrong and I also sold this one back to FYE. Luckily for this one they gave me $6.25 when I only payed $2.79 for it as a shipping charge from BMG.

Obituary - Back From The Dead
This was my first Obituary album. I was familair with their older stuff and loved it but this wasn't even close. Every song has a similair vibe and it was just a mess. I tried so hard to let this one grow on me but it only got worst so I sold it to FYE. Suprisingly when I saw them live with Testament and Vital Remains last year some of the songs off this album weren't that bad live but off the album they sound horrible.

Forbidden - Green
Some friends of mine meant to get me Twisted Into Form for my birthday 2 years ago. They got confused and thought I had Twisted Into Form so they got me this one instead. I had never heard of it till they got it for me and this one was a mess. The first song was pretty cool. Had a Nevermore/Sabbath doom vibe to it. Then the album went into a hardcore disaster. I also tried to let this one grow on me but there was no shot of that happening and after awhile I got rid of it.

KISS - Carnival of Souls
Not the KISS that I have come to love. Very grunge and moody. Could not get into it at all. Sold it.

Dokken - Shadow Life
I'll make this one short and simple... Worst album EVER.

I haven't heard Chasm's early works mainly Deathcult, but is Spell of Retribution their weakest effort and does the album led the way of them being "sell outs"?

I mean, Spell of Retribution i think is a good album. But why guys? Is there some horrible news i must read? links please.

The Spell of Retribution is BY FAR their weakest; they've gone from a damn good DM band that was sort of reminicent of TKI-era Amorphis halfway to a Dissucktion clone.

"The Spell..." is mountaineous. Just listen to the swirling epic masterpiece that is "Retribution of the Lost Years", or the thunderous "The Omnipotent Codex". You thought Fortress was the best on it, and that's possibly the shittiest, so I've no idea where you're coming from, honestly. The melodies are as explorative as ever, there's a greater feeling of relentlessness than on Deathcult without ever losing drive or direction, there's great climaxes and reflective passages and ambience, it whirls chaotically along an epic ancient journey with even more intensity than anything they've written before. As a conceptual expression it's pretty much flawless. Certainly better than anything that isn't "Deathcult..." and CERTAINLY better than "Procession of the Infraworld", christ that's appallingly flat in comparison (even though I like it).

It's reminiScent btw. ;)

edit: I realise the irony of my mispelling of mountainous.

Guardian of Darkness said:
"The Spell..." is mountaineous. Just listen to the swirling epic masterpiece that is "Retribution of the Lost Years", or the thunderous "The Omnipotent Codex". You thought Fortress was the best on it, and that's possibly the shittiest, so I've no idea where you're coming from, honestly. The melodies are as explorative as ever, there's a greater feeling of relentlessness than on Deathcult without ever losing drive or direction, there's great climaxes and reflective passages and ambience, it whirls chaotically along an epic ancient journey with even more intensity than anything they've written before. As a conceptual expression it's pretty much flawless. Certainly better than anything that isn't "Deathcult..." and CERTAINLY better than "Procession of the Infraworld", christ that's appallingly flat in comparison (even though I like it).

It's reminiScent btw. ;)

edit: I realise the irony of my mispelling of mountainous.
Do you realize the irony of your misspelling of "mispelling"? How about the irony in your misspelling of "realise"? Or, perhaps the irony in your verb/number disagreement on "there's great climaxes..."? ;)

Anyways, back on topic- I can't exactly listen to those songs now, since I recently deleted it off of my hard drive, as I don't keep shitty albums around for long. "The Omnipotent Codex", though, is some decent Slayer/Vader worship; however, last time I checked, the band's strength wasn't in that area. Isn't "Retribution of the Lost Years" the long-as-fuck rock ballad that they put about half way through the album? I'd much rather not listen to that; if I want them playing a slow epic song, I'll listen to just about anything off of the first two albums, or even something from the majority of Deathcult, rather than that piece of watered down tripe. It's also not their most intense to date in any way excepting production.

The fact that a few metric assloads of those riffs are stolen straight from their previous album does nothing to endear it, either.

I don't regret on buying The Spell even though my original orders were Deathcult and Incorrigible. I mean, the first track, From the Curse, a Scourge..., is already a great track to me and kicks ass, and so is the rest of the tracks. I still have to listen to their early works to compare it to the new one. But i still say that The Spell is one great album, thanks for the info guys.

Cynical said:
Do you realize the irony of your misspelling of "mispelling"? How about the irony in your misspelling of "realise"? Or, perhaps the irony in your verb/number disagreement on "there's great climaxes..."?

Realise is the English spelling of 'realize'. And fuck off, it was 1am. :(

Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God (what a fucking disappointment)

Jag Panzer - Casting the Stones (I initially thought it was okay, but upon listening to it more, I just haven't grown. This is odd)

Iljarn - Det Frysende....(I was hoping for more. Maybe I'll have to listen to it a few more times, but damn. Nothing)

Grave Digger - The Last Supper (what the FUCK. This pissed me off to no end)

Satanic_Queen_666 said:
Stay Brutal and Hail Satan!

HAHAHAHAHAA