what are you reading?

I think James Clavell wrote a few critically acclaimed political/social/military thrillers. They're complicated stuff though, not easy reading.
indeed, and far more going on than just military operations/incidents that it sounds like he's looking for. i'm actually about halfway through the final book Whirlwind (i read them by time-setting, not publish date) of Clavell's Asian Saga, which has gone from 1600s japan thru the Iranian civil war in 1979. most of the books follow a british trading company as they grow and battle their hated rivals, but as a top company they of course get wrapped up in politics, wars, espionage, and all that good stuff. pretty excellent series.
Shogun FTW
hells yeah! id recommend that book to anyone, also the tv miniseries is definitely one of the best adaptations ive seen

besides the hyperion cantos (which became my favorite book series ever last summer), what dan simmons books are worth reading?

A few years ago, I read The Hollow Man, and while I can't remember too much about the story, I remember I enjoyed it (even though there were bits that were a bit too scientific for my understanding).

I'm tempted, TEMPTED.....to risk wasting my time by reading some fantasy stuff. I could never get into them before. What's a good book or series to start with? Everyone raves about the Game of Thrones. Should I get book 1? Is there better stuff out there? I don't want any fucking childish shit. I want adult themed, hard hitting, hard reading prose (if it exists within the fantasy genre).

Game of Thrones is pretty much the prime example of what you are looking for from fantasy, and I cannot recommend it heartily enough. Other authors who fit that description: Joe Abercrombie, Scott Lynch, Daniel Abraham, Robin Hobb, R. Scott Bakker, KJ Parker. That said, if you're going into it assuming "This is probably gonna be a waste of my time," you're gonna have a hard time with initial genre conventions.

besides the hyperion cantos (which became my favorite book series ever last summer), what dan simmons books are worth reading?

The Terror was pretty good, if clunky. Ilium was fantastic, totally worth the huge letdown of Olympos following it up.

I don't think I've read any of his other stuff. I heard good things about Drood.

I'm tempted, TEMPTED.....to risk wasting my time by reading some fantasy stuff. I could never get into them before. What's a good book or series to start with? Everyone raves about the Game of Thrones. Should I get book 1? Is there better stuff out there? I don't want any fucking childish shit. I want adult themed, hard hitting, hard reading prose (if it exists within the fantasy genre).

the wheel of time series was really good