What band could be bigger than Strato?

ReaLM

Sep 17, 2002
SF Bay Area
Visit site
So, I know this has been discussed here and there in a few threads, but I feel it is a discussion worthy of its own thread.

Apparently Stratovarius is not the main headliner/biggest news.

This has really got me thinking, and I want to hear more discussion about what band is big enough to get headlining slot over Stratovarius.

Here are my thoughts and some other's thoughts that I've seen so far...

Ayreon/Star One, as people have mentioned before, could probably pull it, especially with the famous guests they'd bring. If this happens, I will die of excitement long long before PP.

Demons and Wizards? I don't think they'd quite be big enough to headline over Strat., but I'd love it if they were.

Iced Earth - They just toured through here... unimpressivly I might add.

Accept Reunion - Would it be big enough?

Conception Reunion - I doubt seriously that it would headline over Strat. without pissing Tolki off majorly.

Bruce Dickinson solo or Halford solo - That would be awesome!

Iron Maiden, Judest Priest, or DT - They are TOO big.

Savatage - Wait, did them last year.

Avantasia with everyone - WOW.. that would be too much.

Helloween? - They just toured too.

That is all I can think of; although I'm not as familiar with the prog side of things...

What do the rest of you think?

Robin

Assuming I got what Glen said earlier correct, its a returning band. In another thread (the one about It always happens) Glen said that if he didn't confirm band #1 then it was leaning towards an all original lineup for prog power. He also never said that this was a US debut for the band as he did with other slots. This is why I'm led to believe that it could possibly be Angra. And Because of the post on the Rhapsody homepage about not being able to disclose details about a tour date because the festival's lineup hadn't been secured yet... I'm led to believe they're the number 3 or 5 slot. Not sure if this would be taking us into the realm of "too much cost", but hey, you never know!

I think Rhapsody could be considered bigger because they are only playing 2 other shows and haven't played any shows, before this year, in 3 years. Plus they are pretty well known over here. Many of my friends that aren't huge power metal fans like me all know & love Rhapsody.

Not saying they would be my pick (although I do love them), but I could see how Glenn would think it's a bigger announcement than Strato playing.

I agree with the above post. An intersting dilemma regarding Rhapsody though is that they have vowed to have a truly elaborate stage setup which to me means that they would HAVE to be a headlining band due to the amount of time to erect and take everything down. In addition, they would probably have to start their set a little late based on the amount of time it would take to set things up - unless the only way they could play would be if they agree to scale the setup back a bit.

Rhapsody just makes more sense for me as a number 3 slot, a big name but not big enough to take the Strato spot. And yeah it would be nice to see a big stage show, but as Glen has pointed out in other posts, sometimes bands couldn't bring their entire set because it wouldn't fit in the venue stage, and that turned them off of participating in PP. Rhapsody however seem like a group of enthusiastic guys who would be willing to sacrifice a few extra swords and banners and whatnot in order to play a festival. Of course we could just be barking up the wrong tree entirely by even suggesting Rhapsody will show up ;p

No, I meant Number 3 as far as the listing of bands 1-10 with 1 being headliner on Friday (not confirmed), 2 being stratovarius (headliner saturday) and 3 being 4th band on friday night, which would mean I agree that they would be the forth band. But I still don't think they're bigger than Stratovarius world wide.

Landisb said:
Assuming I got what Glen said earlier correct, its a returning band. In another thread (the one about It always happens) Glen said that if he didn't confirm band #1 then it was leaning towards an all original lineup for prog power.

I went back and read what Glen said again, and I believe that he said that if he DOES confirm the number one band that we are discussing, then it will be an all original lineup, not the other way around.

I don't think Rhapsody could headline over Strat.
I used to love Stratovarius and Rhapsody when I first got into the scene; however, they are both so cheerful, formulaic, and cheesy that I can't listen to them anymore (I think the vocal styling has something to do with it too).
I would like to see both of them eventually for nostalgia purposes, but not both in the same year - too much cheese (and not in the awesome Edguy way).

Robin

Doesn't it seem strange that the Saturday headliner got announced so early. Not that I'm complaining. I was shocked.

ReaLM said:
I they are both so cheerful, formulaic, and cheesy that I can't listen to them anymore (I think the vocal styling has something to do with it too).
...too much cheese (and not in the awesome Edguy way).

Robin

My thoughts exactly....

I do have a friend who would get a boner from the day they are announced up until the end of PP weekend if he saw both Strato AND Rhapsody....

Word of an official Therion tour was leaked....Therion confirmed.

Word of a potential Stratovarious NA tour was leaked....Stratovarius confirmed.

I'm tired of losing publicity to leaks so I put out the ones that people were already thinking about.

I will say that as of now, no other bands have tours/other shows planned around the festival. That could change, but not anytime soon.

Glenn H

Of course it's Running Wild.

Over 20 years in the business, strong and steady sales, historic. It's DEFINATELY Running Wild.

not happening, but Fates Warning and possibly any of their sideprojects (esp OSI) would no question Usurp them.

Also any Dream Theater sideprojects I would think financially might, but I dunno what Glenn's effort is and obviously DT's schedule would to ever allow a show there. With the upcoming James LaBrie Band shows however, who knows. JellyJam, Frameshift, etc

Kyle

ReaLM said:
=
Ayreon/Star One, as people have mentioned before, could probably pull it, especially with the famous guests they'd bring. If this happens, I will die of excitement long long before PP.
Robin

AAHHH!!!! Now this is twice someone has mentioned Ayreon!!!!!! I, too would probably die of excitement if they were announced.....that would be even better than Arcturus.