What do you want/expect from the next DT album?

Ormir

Oct 11, 2001
Espoo, Finland
Since enough time has passed for everyone to digest their newest release, I think it's prudent to start discussion on the next one (let's hope we get a follow-up as quickly as we did to Projector). So, if you were the evil slave-master whipping DT into action in Studio Fredman, what kind of music would you like to hear? And what do you expect from the next Dark Tranquillity album?

I'd like to see the same aggression as in DD but with clean vocals, and female vocals would be really nice too. But DD was such a masterpeice its hard to envision something superior.

Well the latest release was good enough. I'd like to see them continue in that style, maybe writing a song like something along the lines of an Opeth-style, that is extra long and very focused on the playing, even a keyboard solo in the middle, and maybe a nod to the old days as well with a super-fast thrasher.

But I thought DD was one of the best albums of 2002, so I can't really see how they'd improve on it.

something closer to the sound of Projector, but still moving forward. if that makes sense.

well, first of all i'd like their next album to be sometime away in the future. i wouldn't like them to put out one release after the other, i prefer they take time for more revisions and reflections.
i'm hoping to see a dvd and a rare tracks compilation a year or less from now, and maybe a four-tracks ep, a teaser, something with a couple of smashing new songs paving the way to a new change. but no full length until 2004 for me. ;)
of course i would like them to remember their skydancer days, like thanatos. and their projector days too (they already did, at least here and there, but more nether novas, please). but i'd also like to witness a new level of change, a more complex structure to work on for years to come.

rahvin.

Another vote for remembering Skydancer and Projector a little...

Also, I'd like to see them remember the Gallery... I want more Gallery style guitar leads!

So, overall...

Longer songs, with gallery-esque guitars and the use of acoustic as well as electronic breaks, which can be used to add the odd piece of clean vocal aka Shadow Duet style.

I expect the unexpected

I trust Dt that they will do the best they can do and they never did any bad in their long history
but as rahvin mentioned,the dvd would be cool(with all their clips and some other stuff like other liverecordings,all lyrics and a big booklet with a lot of niklas magic artworks and pictures-If someone has the salivalbox of tool you know what I mean and want...)
and this omnius rare traxcd why not?
perhaps with their demos,all covers,all japanese bonustracks not avaiable in the rest of the world and some new songs??
but what I dont want is a rerelease-overkill of their old albums like the inflamesreissues(the old IF had been sold out that was the reason but the whoraclere-release is not necessary)

and no live album like the stupid tokioshowdown(this is the only IF album I will never buy because it sucks,just 14 songs,bad quality and no old stuff...)
I do not want a simple livealbum of DT from centurymedia(like the gathering or sonata arctica bullshit,just one cd with just about 10 songs)(the osmose thing wasnt good 2) in the next 3 years and if they decide a live album than just a doublealbum with songs of all their records(skydancer/the gallery/TMI not forgotten) or better the ultimate live legacy like iced earths "live in athens(the best liverecord ever,3cds 3hours of music, all hits and much non expected songs)

let see what the future brings...

Originally posted by Dmanx Pit
Well the latest release was good enough. I'd like to see them continue in that style, maybe writing a song like something along the lines of an Opeth-style, that is extra long and very focused on the playing

Oh dear god :eek:
You wish them to lower their standards then, huh?

Something in the way of Skydancer would be cool, I think that album was pretty much perfect, would have been better with Stanne on vocals of course, but you can have everything, can you?

I'm going to have to agree with Salamurhaaja, no Opeth style songs pleeeease :cry: :p

But as for what I would look forward to is of course the return of clean vocals. Also as wanderinblade said, Gallery style guitar leads would be a welcome change as well.

I'm also curious what you peopl want as a "nod" to the Skydancer days. What in particular? The blast beats, shadow duet style songs, variation, female vox?

Rahvin's plan for the future seems wise I must say. An EP would definitly be interesting. As would a DVD. Live clips, interviews, a day in the (ala Maiden on RiR), they could pull it off really well me thinks ;)

Yeah I repeated what was already said, but thats my story ;)

F_V (*yawn*)

I would love a return to the guitar style of old, with the "riff-salad" principal of throwing loads of riffs into a single song, while still staying very coherent (TMI arguably has more riffs than The Gallery in that sense). Martin Brandström could ease a bit on the keyboards and let the electric and acoustic guitars do as much of the melody work as possible. It would be great for Mikael to use his clean voice again, and with what they learned from Projector, I'm sure they will meld into the songs even better. Also, this would finally have DT challenge themselves, which I don't feel has happened for a long time. Haven and DD were the product of a band that is very sure in themselves, and perfected what they do, so a risky, challenging take on songs is just what they need. Hours Passed in Exile is a perfect example of old-style DT riffing coupled with their modern approach, and it's a path I would like them to take for the next one.

Something about the Skyfdancer sound just clicked. It was probably the guitars and drums combined, the way the songs just had that groove that they did.

And as for Opeth, well, I'm not saying to write an Opeth-like song, I'm just saying write a song that just stretches out, allows both guitarists and Martin to show off, and maybe allows Mikeal Staane to show off as well on the vocal end of it.

Blastbeats would be cool, variation... I want the majority of clean vocals to be Skydancer style - briefly thrown in as contrast, with only a couple of songs making major use of them.
Female vocals would be good.

I'd like to see some older style lyrics too... and male backing vocals. Hasn't Henriksson done some...

I'm somehow surprised by how the same people who want a return to Skydancer-days dislike Opeth so much. After all, I think Skydancer is stylewise the DT-album that is closest to Opeth - longer songs with lots of contrast between acoustic and distorted guitars and vocals (okay, not as much repetition as with Opeth, but anyway). What it is actually that you are afraid of in the word Opeth? :confused:

About the topic, I'm pretty much on the same lines with Rahvin - the DVD is a must now that I too have a DVD-player. :)

-Villain

Originally posted by Wanderingblade
I'd like to see some older style lyrics too... and male backing vocals. Hasn't Henriksson done some...

Not that I know of. Nicklasson, however, has done some live (plus on Zodijackyl Light - long before he became a band-member).

-Villain

First of all, I would find another studio than Fredman. Not because he isn`t great, but maybe it`s time for some changes in the sound...?

I think they could move on with the Damage Done style, but maybe look a bit back at Haven (especially Stanne, I think Haven is his best).

But I am sure the quys can figure out this themselves, and hopefully we can look forward to another masterpiece within two years, or so....