What if....?

Necuratul said:
What if Rob Halford never tried to keep his sexuality hidden?

Actually a very interesting question. As the early look of Priest was driven by Robs gay S/M lifestyle, the whole leather and spikes shtick was inspired by the marmite miners.

So, given the general homophobia in metal, leather and spikes would have been roundly rejected, and everyone would have reverted to faded blue denim waist coats and bell bottomed jeans.

However, given that the extreme look of JP clothing attracted so many fans, including many of the people who would later influence thrash and therefore death metal, you could indeed extrapolate that if Rob didn't like it slammed up the wrong 'un, extreme metal, as it exists today wouldn't. (Exist, that is).

Already asked on the first page, I think. But my response to that is still Maiden wouldnt be half as good as they were today. Iron Maiden and Killers were great albums, but i dont think they could have put out as many good albums as they have with him. It would have gone out fast. Nobody, and i mean nobody, beats Bruce.

Iron Maiden certainly would not have become as big as they did, what with Di'Anno's more punkish vocals not appealing to many fans. The more intriguing question, however, would be how the songwriting would have been impacted without the more dynamic vocals.

Reactions: Ender Rises
The Greys said:
Countdown To Extinction is Megadeths sellout album. It's not as bad as all the following cds but it's still the bands first sell out attempt. I think this is around the sametime as the black album.

Both bands are sell outs. If you have heard Dave he's always angsty about never making as much money or selling as many records as metallica so it's obvious he's into dollars signs just as much as lars and metallica. Metallica was always a step ahead of him in selling/commercial success during the 90's. Megadeth has more crappy albums than metallica making them suck more.

what has that got to do with the fact that i said "the black album" is when metallica were officially labelled sell outs?

aside from that, comparing the number of shit albums each have released is pretty pointless. megadeth have relased more, yes (5 v 3), but metallica is soon to release a 4th, and the quality is much worse. and even then megadeth's best albums kick the shit out of metallica's.

Necuratul said:
Iron Maiden certainly would not have become as big as they did, what with Di'Anno's more punkish vocals not appealing to many fans. The more intriguing question, however, would be how the songwriting would have been impacted without the more dynamic vocals.

Perhaps we would have missed out on many of the gems on Powerslave and Piece of Mind, not to mention the prognosity of Seventh Son et. al...

but...

On the other hand - no Blaze Bailey, dance of death or the new-one-so-tedious-I-can't-even-remember-its-name.

Tough call...:erk:

The Greys said:
What if Halford sang for iron maiden and bruce sang for judas priest.

Then we would have had "Breaaaaaaaaaaaaking The Laaaahaaaaahaaaaaaaaw" and "Bring you son to the slaughter" ?

Mort Divine said:
What if ... Possessed never released 7 Churches?

Are you expecting someone to say death metal would not exist ?. I don't believe that looking at some cds and demo's that came out pretty much all around the sametime.

If possessed never released 7 churches they never released seven churches.

I think the only thing that would be different would be that no one would be able to cover "Death Metal"(track) again, and people wouldn't be able to go on and on and on about how influential they were.

The Greys said:
Are you expecting someone to say death metal would not exist ?. I don't believe that looking at some cds and demo's that came out pretty much all around the sametime.

If possessed never released 7 churches they never released seven churches.

No, I just wonder what people think would happen. Death metal coming about is eventual, but how long until it happened?

What if Dave Mustaine sang and played guitar in metallica and james hetfield played leads.