What is opeth's best guitar CD

Ok so I went out and bought Blackwater Park (the store I went to was out of Still Life). I'm listening to it now. I love everything but the heavy vocals I will need to get used to (they sing great in the parts they actually sing on). I can see why so many of you like them their kinda like Dream Theater but much heavier and not as much keyboards. Really very cool. I will check out the other album next week.

BTW, Damnation is pretty much a prog rock album if you want to know. It's nothing like their other albums and my fav. But as far as the heavy albums go I prefer Blackwater Park.

I vote for Still Life also. Just seems like Mike and Peter really went after it, particularly on Serenity Painted Death and White Cluster. Listen carefully, though, because the solos on White Cluster are tragically buried in the mix.

Moonlapse said:
Still Life is Opeth's most challenging guitar-wise. It is also coincidentally their most layered and quite possibly most mature album. If you want a CD for a guitar instruction thing, then I would heartily suggest you look at Still Life first.

Still Life is a winner for this, and I agree also with risquit.

Ok so I started this post asking about Opeth's guitar playing because people have asked me to add them to the sugguested listening section of my site. Well after listening to Blackwater Park about three or four times I just wanted to let you know I have updated my database to include Opeth (this will not show till about 3am when I upload the db). I thank you all for your help. If any of you need help with anything guitar or music theory related please let me know.

By the way I will be getting other CDs by them soon too. Opeth is REALLY GOOD, I only wish I knew about them sooner.

Mike

The Best Opeth cds are, My arms your Hearse, Still Life, Damnation, Blackwater park. Deliverance is very good also.

Couple of things

1) Mike7771, how have you gotten used to the growls? I used to think I'd never like them, as most of us did with death metal, but eventually grew to love them as much as if not more than clean singing :)

2) No one's ever gonna agree on anything about which Opeth cds are better, so just get them all and judge for yourself :) .. except a lot of people seem to agree that Still Life is the most technical/proggy.. i'm with them on that

IAmEternal - yeah, I've been listing to the it almost everyday so the growls are growing on me. I really like the guitar work and the changes from heavy to melow. I just got paid today so I'm going out to get still life.

IAmTheAntichrist - Hey thanks man.

Moonlapse - you know I really am getting into this band more than I have any band in a long time.

^^ I am amazed that you have heard of A. R Rahman. That guy had some exceptional early film songs though he's become terribly redundant and medicore of late.

I got hooked the same way Mike. The songs are arranged as such that you pick up more each time you listen to it. If you read some background at opeth.com, you'll see that they create most of their stuff in studio. They don't rehearse or write beforehand as much as they would like, so they end up just performing all sorts of wizardry until they come up with the songs they like. Crazy, but it works, and it makes for some deep listening.

Mike7771 said:
Hi all,

I run a guitar instruction site and have a sugguested listening section, about 10 people have requested I put Opeth on the list but I've never even heard them before (I'm sure in this room that makes me a real dork... but what can you do.). Is there one or two CDs you could sugguest I listen to first. If there is one with really cool guitar stuff on it that would be best.

Thanks,
Mike
Fuck me...is this a blatant plug for your website? In any case, I'm no guitar player but the guitar in all the albums sounds good to mine ears.

Cutter said:
Fuck me...is this a blatant plug for your website? In any case, I'm no guitar player but the guitar in all the albums sounds good to mine ears.
wait...just realised your site was free, so ignore my idiotic post. Its good to see you've found Opeth Mike, they're very rewarding...I must say. At any rate, I am trying to string a few chords together on an old acoustic so I will check out your site.