What is your favorite song of In flames???

Do we have enough active people here to do one of those Reddit style survivor polls for each IF album? It would be pretty interesting to see how that turns out. But if only 5 people vote, not so much :D

Hmm, well, in terms of somewhat active users we have me, you, Eochaid, Jabi, A88, galvanized, Xpyro, mindd, Ciko, Slave, Krofius, Phobiac, TheJestersDoor, CladinShadows971, shadow_, ilias7, cobra8472... plus maybe a couple I've forgotten and some lurkers, so probably enough if the majority of them could be bothered to vote :D

The MDM subreddit recently did a best IF album poll and these were the results:

upload_2022-6-27_22-52-21.png

I actually find "Drained", "Wallflower", and "Save Me" to be the tolerable ones on Battles. That's it, that's all the positivity in my bones for that album.

Siren Charms was a bit more of a hard rock In Flames album- Even moreso than SoaPF was. It's a bunch of decent to good ideas with mediocre execution, but it's a lot more generous than I'd ever be about Battles.

Do we have enough active people here to do one of those Reddit style survivor polls for each IF album? It would be pretty interesting to see how that turns out. But if only 5 people vote, not so much :D

My list goes like this:

1. Come Clarity
2. Sounds of a Playground Fading
3-5. Clayman, Colony, & Whoracle
6. The Jester Race (I listened to it again a couple days ago, and yeah, I think I prefer it pound to pound over I, the Mask, but that's simply the fault of "House".)
7. I, the Mask
8. Reroute To Remain
9. Lunar Strain
10. Soundtrack To Your Escape
11. Siren Charms
12. A Sense of Purpose
13. Battles

If we're including the EPs, I'm tempted to put Subterranean above TJR, but I'd have to listen to it again. I generally include Black Ash Inheritance with TJR, but if we're not, then it's probably going just above or just under it, Down, Wicked, and No Good is probably going above TJR, and Clayman 2020 burns in Hell where it belongs.

So for the EPs:

1. Down, Wicked, and No Good
2. Black Ash Inheritance
3. Subterranean

I am not putting Clayman 2020 here.

Probably a controversial list, but the only albums that I can't bring myself to like are the bottom two.

Last edited:
Hmm, well, in terms of somewhat active users we have me, you, Eochaid, Jabi, A88, galvanized, Xpyro, mindd, Ciko, Slave, Krofius, Phobiac, TheJestersDoor, CladinShadows971, shadow_, ilias7, cobra8472... plus maybe a couple I've forgotten and some lurkers, so probably enough if the majority of them could be bothered to vote :D

The MDM subreddit recently did a best IF album poll and these were the results:

View attachment 31429

It's incredibly depressing to say that Sounds of a Playground Fading is higher than I expected it to be, and Come Clarity is lower than I expected it to be.

Come Clarity
Clayman
Reroute to Remain
Whoracle
Soundtrack to Your Escape
Colony
The Jester Race
Sounds of a Palyground Fading
A Sense of Purpose
Lunar Strain/Subterranean
I the Mask

It's incredibly depressing to say that Sounds of a Playground Fading is higher than I expected it to be, and Come Clarity is lower than I expected it to be.

I was surprised that Colony won - fully expected TJR or Clayman. Still, the 1996-2000 albums were always going to be the top four.

My list isn't a million miles away from yours honestly. I posted it in the new album thread but from memory it was something like...

Clayman
TJR
Colony
Whoracle
Reroute
SOAPF
Come Clarity
STYE
Lunar/Sub
ITM
ASOP
Siren Charms
Battles

Might have mixed up some in the middle, but that was the jist.

Come Clarity
Clayman
Reroute to Remain
Whoracle
Soundtrack to Your Escape
Colony
The Jester Race
Sounds of a Palyground Fading
A Sense of Purpose
Lunar Strain/Subterranean
I the Mask

Oh, SOAPF has moved back above ASOP? Good :D surprisingly high ranking for STYE. I like that you just straight up fail to acknowledge SC and Battles :cool: even worse than being bottom of a list? Not being on it at all.

There's a long standing problem that I have with Colony. And it might just be me because I've never seen anyone mention it. And it is the primary reason that I have been trying to get the stems from that album for years. Desperately. Let me tell you a tale.

As the years have passed, I have become somewhat of an audiophile. Not in a weird elitist way. I just know what I like. As a drummer, I enjoy a nice hard hitting kick drum in my mixes. Growing up, I told myself that when I got my own car and had my own money, I would put a nice system in that car and enjoy all of my favorite music in a new amazing way. And that's what I did. I spent $4000 US to get a sound system installed. A really nice one if I'm being honest and I haven't looked back since. I've gotten new cars and that sound system went into those cars. Eventually I had to spring for a new system, so the cycle continued. But I digress...

As a kid, In Flames was my absolute favorite band. I couldn't wait to crank that fucker up to 10 and drive around enjoying some prime MDM. And let me tell you something, I was appalled when I put Colony on for the first time on something that wasn't computer speakers or mediocre headphones. That kick drum was almost nonexistent. The low end was a jumbled mess of pure Peter and something I could barely make out as a kick. And now that's all I hear any time I listen to Colony. I love the songs on that album, but I need it remixed for my own sanity.

My list goes like this:

1. Come Clarity
2. Sounds of a Playground Fading
3-5. Clayman, Colony, & Whoracle
6. The Jester Race (I listened to it again a couple days ago, and yeah, I think I prefer it pound to pound over I, the Mask, but that's simply the fault of "House".)
7. I, the Mask
8. Reroute To Remain
9. Lunar Strain
10. Soundtrack To Your Escape
11. Siren Charms
12. A Sense of Purpose
13. Battles

Probably a controversial list, but the only albums that I can't bring myself to like are the bottom two.

Controversial indeed. But... you like what you like.

There's a long standing problem that I have with Colony. And it might just be me because I've never seen anyone mention it. And it is the primary reason that I have been trying to get the stems from that album for years. Desperately. Let me tell you a tale.

As the years have passed, I have become somewhat of an audiophile. Not in a weird elitist way. I just know what I like. As a drummer, I enjoy a nice hard hitting kick drum in my mixes. Growing up, I told myself that when I got my own car and had my own money, I would put a nice system in that car and enjoy all of my favorite music in a new amazing way. And that's what I did. I spent $4000 US to get a sound system installed. A really nice one if I'm being honest and I haven't looked back since. I've gotten new cars and that sound system went into those cars. Eventually I had to spring for a new system, so the cycle continued. But I digress...

As a kid, In Flames was my absolute favorite band. I couldn't wait to crank that fucker up to 10 and drive around enjoying some prime MDM. And let me tell you something, I was appalled when I put Colony on for the first time on something that wasn't computer speakers or mediocre headphones. That kick drum was almost nonexistent. The low end was a jumbled mess of pure Peter and something I could barely make out as a kick. And now that's all I hear any time I listen to Colony. I love the songs on that album, but I need it remixed for my own sanity.

How do you find the Clayman mix, out of curiosity?

Oh, SOAPF has moved back above ASOP? Good :D surprisingly high ranking for STYE. I like that you just straight up fail to acknowledge SC and Battles :cool: even worse than being bottom of a list? Not being on it at all.
Yes. ASOP is not entirely satisfactory mostly due to Anders work. In that regard, SOAPF is more consistent as a work. I don't care about SC or Battles so mentioning them is just a waste of space.

Reactions: DE4life
How do you find the Clayman mix, out of curiosity?

There really isn't much about Clayman that I don't like. The mix can be a bit muddy for my taste at times, but overall I think it's mixed fine. I always notice the drum production first. The drums aren't mixed amazingly to me, but definitely better than Colony. I know a lot of people don't like that super clean, crisp mixing style because it can sound too sterile and fake, but I really do like it. I feel like most metalheads will tell you that 80's production is the be-all end-all but I'm one of the ones that loves modern mixing styles. Your UK boys over there, Architects, do it right in my opinion.

Oh God, now I'm terrified to listen to Colony again. I don't think I'll be able to unhear that if I do.

Controversial indeed. But... you like what you like.

And yup, can't say I'm too ashamed of it either. Aside from Battles and Clayman 2020 being in second last and last respectively. I'd rather them be lower.

There really isn't much about Clayman that I don't like. The mix can be a bit muddy for my taste at times, but overall I think it's mixed fine. I always notice the drum production first. The drums aren't mixed amazingly to me, but definitely better than Colony. I know a lot of people don't like that super clean, crisp mixing style because it can sound too sterile and fake, but I really do like it. I feel like most metalheads will tell you that 80's production is the be-all end-all but I'm one of the ones that loves modern mixing styles. Your UK boys over there, Architects, do it right in my opinion.

I can't say I've ever really noticed those kinds of details when listening to Colony, but I do have some high-end headphones so next time I listen to a song from that album I'll probably hear this as well :D as for Clayman, I love the mix on that. Did you listen to the remastered tracks and notice any difference, or just not heard them?

Oh God, now I'm terrified to listen to Colony again. I don't think I'll be able to unhear that if I do.

And yup, can't say I'm too ashamed of it either. Aside from Battles and Clayman 2020 being in second last and last respectively. I'd rather them be lower.

For Colony... honestly it's probably me being a snob :tickled:

I forgot about Clayman 2020. For good reason.

I can't say I've ever really noticed those kinds of details when listening to Colony, but I do have some high-end headphones so next time I listen to a song from that album I'll probably hear this as well :D as for Clayman, I love the mix on that. Did you listen to the remastered tracks and notice any difference, or just not heard them?

I really didn't hear much difference in the remastered tracks but I also haven't analyzed them super closely. I have high end headphones as well... maybe I'll do that tonight. Speaking of, I backed HEAVYS on Kickstarter. Anyone see those? I'm very interested to see if they're as good as they claim.

I really didn't hear much difference in the remastered tracks but I also haven't analyzed them super closely. I have high end headphones as well... maybe I'll do that tonight. Speaking of, I backed HEAVYS on Kickstarter. Anyone see those? I'm very interested to see if they're as good as they claim.

I didn't hear much difference either, but as I don't pay much attention to those details I'm not the best person to judge. I'm always curious if people who focus on these things more than I do notice a difference.

I've seen those headphones, but considering how widely metal production varies I'm curious as to whether they can live up to the hype. I'm cool with the sound I get from my current headphones, but it'll be interesting to read how HEAVYS performs.

For Colony... honestly it's probably me being a snob :tickled:

I forgot about Clayman 2020. For good reason.

I get sort of the same way with albums these days, though I try to err on the side of positivity, so I totally get it. I just don't want to tarnish how I perceive Colony sonically, you know?

It sounds slightly sharper, slightly less compressed, but it's so miniscule that it really doesn't make a difference. I don't even think that those aspects makes it better or worse than the original version either. The lower end is slightly quieter, but the drums are a bit clearer, so that sort of evens out. The vocals are also slightly more forward in the mix (Or perhaps everything ever so slightly back?), but they don't sound any louder. Overall, it's a bit of a looser mix, which might actually somewhat damper what made the original's production and mixing so good. Depends on who you are, I suppose. It just feels like it exist so that they aren't just selling four shitty remakes and a nice medley.

Never heard of them, but I'll have to check them out.

Never heard of them, but I'll have to check them out.

Supposedly they are headphones made for metal. It could be a gimmick and they might end up being trash. Who knows? I think they're supposed to ship in August. Right now I'm using Sony WH-1000XM4s and I find them to be very good. We'll see.