What is your favorite song of In flames???

I think age also comes into play with these types of things. When you mentioned betrayal, it really made me think back to those times. When you're young and stupid (at least some of us), you have this feeling of entitlement -- 'this band is mine, it's for me and me only! -- and then you get older and you realize that it's the music BUSINESS. When I was 13, 14 years old listening to In Flames, I didn't really think about the fact that people were making this music and wanted to make a living from it. They didn't want to spend time in the studio and tour and also work a day job so they could pay their rent, eat, provide for their families. That just never registered to me as a kid. Obviously I understood the idea of having a job and paying your bills, but it seemed way more important that these bands maintained a specific style to suit my tastes. It's a truly selfish, stupid way of looking at things. But alas, that could be part of growing up and being naive.

But in maintaining that mindset, you do feel a sense of betrayal when these bands you love who create music you love no longer tailor their sound to a style you enjoy. At this point in my life, I understand it. I just don't listen to music that I don't enjoy. It's pretty simple. Would I have loved if In Flames continued their progression differently? Sure. But it isn't some devastating blow like it was to me as a teenager. And it did feel devastating and disappointing then. I still hold their early work in high regard, I just don't really look forward to new material, especially because when I look at In Flames, I don't see/hear In Flames anymore. Although I love The Jester Race/Whoracle days, I will always think of the Colony-ASOP era as In Flames (even if I didn't particularly enjoy some of that work). In Flames will always be Jesper, Anders, Bjorn, Peter and Daniel to me. Right now, as talented as they may be, I think of the current line up as Anders & Bjorn & Company. They just feel like stand-ins. I truly hope that when the day comes that In Flames calls it quits, that we get to see those five guys together at least one more time.

I think you're spot on here. As you get older your perception changes, your idealism becomes cynicism and rather than becoming outraged or angry you just become bitter over what you see and hear. When STYE came out I was pissed off. When Battles came out I was just annoyed and rolling my eyes at its stupidity - but I'm also now analysing things, as you say, from a business perspective. It's not that 'this music isn't tr00 IF, arrghhh', it's more like, 'who exactly do they expect to sell this music to? Nobody is going to like this'. Even so, I wasn't about to go to IF social media and rage at them about it. I was fine to just rip on it in this tiny corner of the internet and leave others to be outraged on my behalf if they felt so entitled to do so.

Pretty much agree with you regarding IF perception. To me the 'real' In Flames was 1996 - 2008, irrespective of how the output sounded. That was the core group of guys who made the band what it was, and what I had loved. After that IF slowly became less and less themselves, and nowadays I'd just refer to it as 'Howard Benson's In Flames' as to me that's all it is. Howard Benson's version of the sound, totally devoid of any authenticity. Fake as can be. Still shits out some decent music sometimes, because Anders and Bjorn do have that ability, but not remotely similar to the OG In Flames.

Speaking of Benson, how the fuck did this guy become the phantom 6th member of In Flames? Dude is producing Three Doors Down, Daughtry and Saliva, how the hell did he end up writing songs with Anders and Bjorn?

I can only assume it's because Anders like the idea of working with a 'big name' producer - maybe Bjorn too, I dunno.

Normal band would find a band member who can help write music (let's just call him Niklas) and let him influence the songwriting process.

IF found a bunch of random dudes and a producer guru.

This thing alone tells you a lot.

Reactions: eochaid
Nah Niclas can't write songs for them because he doesn't understand 'da hits'. Gotta know how to make the crowd jump up and down and sing in the california sunshine.

Reactions: eochaid
How I'd personally fix Mirror's Truth:

Chorus as before, but 'disappear' again should be screamed not yelled.

So, I was actually able to do this using UVR and some editing software :D

Also got rid of the 'killing the last scene' vocal as I always thought that sounded shit... fuck yeah :cool: AI Deep Learning rules.

Aw man, but I like the "killing the last scene" part -- it adds a melodic touch that I think brings the first part of the chorus together. But yeah, definitely like that screamed "disappear" for sure. Works much better.

The potential for In Flames song edits...damn. Wish I wasn't juggling so many projects at the moment because I would make this my summer hobby. :D

Yeah, after today I'll be back to work so no more time for play until next week... just created Behind Space '99 with 1994 vocals though which was pretty neat!

That all actually makes a ton of sense. I think it's kinda funny that the band was recording STYE as their sort of nu metal album while the subgenre was somewhat alive, but then it fucking died in the mainstream midway through due to Wes Borland and Head leaving Limp Bizkit and Korn respectively, as well as bands like Mudvayne and Slipknot putting out more standard, slightly more alt metal/less stylized releases. It's not to say anything on the band's nor STYE's part, I just find it funny.

It's funny because of all songs, it was "The Truth" that made me discover the band (It's fucking shameful to look back at, but I was into really shitty music at the time- I'm talking my favorite band was Disturbed and generally loved alt metal kinds of shitty), but it was Come Clarity, Clayman, and Colony that made me really get into them, and into heavier music as a whole- Music was always an art, but I didn't have any idea just how little I understood it beforehand, and the sheer dichotomy of melodic death metal, particularly Jesper's interpretation of it, gripped me overnight. Ironically, the only sort of betrayal I feel from the band is shacking up with Benson in the first place, but I do understand it. When you have an album as maligned as Siren Charms, it makes sense why you'd have such little confidence, but I wish that they did because there were so many more routes they could've gone down than what they've been doing with Benson, and I say that as someone who really likes I, the Mask.

I don't really know all too much about Anders' composition skills, nor quite much about Bjorn's composition style, so I don't know exactly where they could've gone. I absolutely loved Down, Wicked, and No Good (Fuck, I forgot this in the favorite songs list), but those can't really speak to their ability to compose synth pop/rock. Anders has only done much more lo-fi stuff with If Anything, Suspicious, which is completely different than something Depeche Mode-inspired. I'd love for them to do some fully acoustic stuff, but that would likely entail Anders only doing clean vocals and the songs not translating well to live venues whatsoever. As much as it's a pipe dream, I'd kill for something shoegaze-y from them, but those sorts of guitar layers are exactly why they stopped doing the harmonized guitar leads. I'd say that if they put more faith into Niclas, we could've had something pretty akin to Passenger- And that's the only other one I'd feasibly seeing them going towards.

I guess all that's to say, yeah, I guess I don't know where else they'd go, and I kinda get it, even if I don't like Benson's influence. Even if you're a new fan, you can still very much see that it's the most anti-In Flames thing they've ever done. I do think that, yeah, they make the stuff that they like, but it's just what they like at the moment. Maybe that's why they're not proud of it (Ex. Battles) in retrospect, which now that I think about it, seriously sounds like a midlife crisis sort of thing. I dunno.

They're doing what they want, they're successful, they're happy, they're supporting their families, so fuck it. I've never really been one to demand anything in particular (Except for you, Hundredth, please go back to shoegaze), I just want the bands I love to make good music. That's pretty subjective, but I dunno, that's just how I feel.

I'm gonna seriously question this 5 AM ramble tomorrow, I can feel it in my fucking bones.

Hey, I resent the implication that singing in the California sunshine is a bad thing. I'm doing it right now.

In general, no.... but when In Flames do it, yes :D

I guess all that's to say, yeah, I guess I don't know where else they'd go, and I kinda get it, even if I don't like Benson's influence. Even if you're a new fan, you can still very much see that it's the most anti-In Flames thing they've ever done. I do think that, yeah, they make the stuff that they like, but it's just what they like at the moment. Maybe that's why they're not proud of it (Ex. Battles) in retrospect, which now that I think about it, seriously sounds like a midlife crisis sort of thing. I dunno.

They're doing what they want, they're successful, they're happy, they're supporting their families, so fuck it. I've never really been one to demand anything in particular (Except for you, Hundredth, please go back to shoegaze), I just want the bands I love to make good music. That's pretty subjective, but I dunno, that's just how I feel.

I'm gonna seriously question this 5 AM ramble tomorrow, I can feel it in my fucking bones.

At this point it feels like Anders has been going through a midlife crisis for 15 years or so :D but yeah, if they're happy then so be it. It would just be nice for him or Bjorn to at least admit they understand where the older fans are coming from, even if they disagree with those fans' view of their music these days. I wouldn't say any IF album truly bothered me until Siren Charms. Even with STYE I didn't hate the overall sound, it just wasn't what I wanted them to do in 2004. Siren Charms however is something I'd never want them to do... ever. Same with Battles. I think Battles was when, to me, they lost their identity... and I don't think they've ever gotten it back. ITM was an improvement but still very much HB's In Flames. SoSD just feels like an attempt at saying "hey, we're still heavy, we're still metal" - even though ATG ripoff isn't what anyone has really been asking for. Plus for all we know next song could be a cover of 'I Shot the Sheriff'. IF are so strange these days it's impossible to tell what will come next.

Can't argue with that whatsoever. I used to hate Siren Charms almost as much as I hated Battles, but I dunno, it's grown on me in the past couple years. Couldn't tell you why, I don't even think it's good. I don't think Battles is something I'll ever lose my hatred for though, it's just antithetical to everything In Flames was and is. I'm excited for the new album, but certainly still wary.

I hated Siren Charms a lot until Battles came out. Then I realised it wasn't that bad. Siren Charms was a misstep but it still has a soul, some authenticity. I don't think it's a good album at all, but I appreciate that Anders at least was trying to create something unique to him. Battles is just fake from start to finish, I can't stand it. We still talk about Siren Charms on here every so often, but we rarely discuss Battles. Siren Charms isn't well liked but it's interesting enough to discuss in some depth. Battles is just nothing, a total void of creativity and passion.

Reactions: mindd
You know, that pretty much sums up my feelings on both of those albums. Don't really have anything to add.

I hated Siren Charms a lot until Battles came out. Then I realised it wasn't that bad. Siren Charms was a misstep but it still has a soul, some authenticity. I don't think it's a good album at all, but I appreciate that Anders at least was trying to create something unique to him. Battles is just fake from start to finish, I can't stand it. We still talk about Siren Charms on here every so often, but we rarely discuss Battles. Siren Charms isn't well liked but it's interesting enough to discuss in some depth. Battles is just nothing, a total void of creativity and passion.

The only thing about Siren Charms that I like is the album cover. :p

I remember when they released Rusted Nail. I was very confused.

It's weird. I dislike both of those albums greatly, but I do find myself putting on a song like Wallflower occasionally, so technically Battles gets more play over here than Siren Charms does, even though its probably a worse album in general.

Siren Charms is shit. The main difference with Battles is that the latests is even shitier.

The only thing about Siren Charms that I like is the album cover. :p

I remember when they released Rusted Nail. I was very confused.

It's weird. I dislike both of those albums greatly, but I do find myself putting on a song like Wallflower occasionally, so technically Battles gets more play over here than Siren Charms does, even though its probably a worse album in general.

The End and Wallflower are basically the only songs on Battles with any merit, but I don't really listen to either nowadays.

SC... yeah, it's shit, but at least it's an In Flames creation rather than a Howard Benson creation. That's all I got really. Instrumental SC is mildly interesting every so often, whereas instrumental Battles would be boring af the whole way through.

Ultimately SC & Battles always come in the bottom two of IF album polls and it's well deserved (sorry Phobiac :D), I'm more disappointed in how underrated SOAPF is.

at least it's an In Flames creation rather than a Howard Benson creation.
I don't really see the difference. SC is the band trying to be many other bands. Battles is about them pretending to be an American band.

The producer? I bet that SC wouldn't have been that different with HB on charge.

I consider SC Anders album in the same way SOAPF was Bjorn's album. Their ideas of what they want IF to be. Battles is what Howard Benson thinks IF should be. To me that's a big difference, irrespective of album quality.