What languages do you speak already and which would you like to learn? (and why?)

amf said:
Depends on the dialect. People from Stockholm for example tend to pronounce it "e", for which we others rightfully make fun of them. :p

But as the matter in question was about the Finnish language; the letter "ä" is always pronounced as [æ] and has nothing to do with dialects.

Illnath said:
What the giant cookie said: Finnish sounds nothing like the Scandinavian languages. It has more to do with Hungarian than the Scandinavian languages.

Finnish = finno-ugric
Hungarian = finno-ugric
Scandinavian languages = (north) germanic

Finnish and Hungarian are very far from each other, so called distant related languages; the Finns don't understand Hungarians and vice versa.

Illnath said:
Finnish is the funniest sounding language in the world :loco: :loco:

After studying and being in contact with nearly 16 different languages by now, I consider my mother tongue being the most nicest language in the world, although the other languages are of course interesting and nice too, heh. :)

Thorin Oakenshield said:
Then check this Croatian word: ZAŠTITITI :D

Or these Finnish words for being drunk in Turku-dialect:

1. aines
2. ankkuris
3. eetteris
4. elementissäs
5. fyllinkeis
6. fyllis
7. fööris
8. hapos
9. hianos
10. hiprakas
11. honkkelis
12. huikas
13. huppelis
14. hutikas
15. häpäs
16. hönös
17. hörpyis
18. höyrys
19. jallus
20. jalmaris
21. juavukkse
22. juavuksis
23. kaasus
24. kaatokännis
25. kaffes
26. kaljas
27. kaljois
28. kekkulis
29. kiärtes
30. kiljus
31. konjamiinis
32. krouvis
33. kunnos
34. kännis
35. laitatuules
36. lastis
37. latinkis
38. liäväs
39. lämmikkees
40. lääkkes
41. mehus
42. napanteris
43. nestes
44. nousuvires
45. perskännis
46. piänes
47. piukas
48. piänes siäväs
49. plöröis
50. pommakis
51. pontikas
52. poros
53. pyärtes
54. pätkäs
55. pöhnäs
56. räkäkännis
57. sauhus
58. saves
59. seilis
60. siäväs
61. siiteris
62. siirapis
63. sikakännis
64. simas
65. sivulaitases
66. sivumyätäses
67. soosis
68. sumus
69. taikinas
70. talkkunas
71. tentus
72. tikus
73. tinas
74. tinois
75. tintteris
76. tipois
77. tokkuras
78. tranttalis
79. tropis
80. tsempalois
81. tuiskes
82. tuiteris
83. tunnelis
84. tuules
85. tuuteris
86. tuutinkis
87. tällinkis
88. tällis
89. tämminkis
90. tänttäris
91. tönös
92. umpitunnelis
93. vesilastis
94. viinas
95. vinetos
96. voites
97. änkyräs
98. ölvis
99. ihavvaanpikkasenottanu

And this isn't even all yet. :tickled:

EDIT: typo

Frostheim said:
Or these Finnish words for being drunk in Turku-dialect:

1. aines
2. ankkuris
3. eetteris
4. elementissäs
5. fyllinkeis
6. fyllis
7. fööris
8. hapos
9. hianos
10. hiprakas
11. honkkelis
12. huikas
13. huppelis
14. hutikas
15. häpäs
16. hönös
17. hörpyis
18. höyrys
19. jallus
20. jalmaris
21. juavukkse
22. juavuksis
23. kaasus
24. kaatokännis
25. kaffes
26. kaljas
27. kaljois
28. kekkulis
29. kiärtes
30. kiljus
31. konjamiinis
32. krouvis
33. kunnos
34. kännis
35. laitatuules
36. lastis
37. latinkis
38. liäväs
39. lämmikkees
40. lääkkes
41. mehus
42. napanteris
43. nestes
44. nousivires
45. perskännis
46. piänes
47. piukas
48. piänes siäväs
49. plöröis
50. pommakis
51. pontikas
52. poros
53. pyärtes
54. pätkäs
55. pöhnäs
56. räkäkännis
57. sauhus
58. saves
59. seilis
60. siäväs
61. siiteris
62. siirapis
63. sikakännis
64. simas
65. sivulaitases
66. sivumyätäses
67. soosis
68. sumus
69. taikinas
70. talkkunas
71. tentus
72. tikus
73. tinas
74. tinois
75. tintteris
76. tipois
77. tokkuras
78. tranttalis
79. tropis
80. tsempalois
81. tuiskes
82. tuiteris
83. tunnelis
84. tuules
85. tuuteris
86. tuutinkis
87. tällinkis
88. tällis
89. tämminkis
90. tänttäris
91. tönös
92. umpitunnelis
93. vesilastis
94. viinas
95. vinetos
96. voites
97. änkyräs
98. ölvis
99. ihavvaanpikkasenottanu

And this isn't even all yet. :tickled:

I can't believe! We also have a lot of words that can describe your "condition", but I don't think there's that much!

Thorin Oakenshield said:
I can't believe! We also have a lot of words that can describe your "condition", but I don't think there's that much!

And every-one of the words above does each have their own volume and tone of being drunk; besides these kinds of words can be developed and constructed from almost anything, hehe. I truly like the productiveness of the Finnish language. :cool:

Finnish is VERY beautifully sounding language, to my mind!(Though it's not my native one at all.)
Especially in lyrics! It's a real pleasure to read them, even almost without understanding. Wow... It sounds like a melody.. :)

I'm currently in my 3rd university year of studying Swedish, next year maybe i'll get the chance to go to Sweden for 6 months to do research for my final paper there :tickled:
Doing 2 optional courses too: Old Norse and, in the 2nd semester, Finnish! Looks like a real challenge, having read some Finnish here on the forum, but really looking forward to it anyway ;)

omfg!
And you call yourself "Tuatha", have you thought about doing Irish, too?

Do you wanna do the same as Franz Bopp? If you don't know him, he was the first to re-invent the Indogermanic Language by comparing different ones like Albanian with old Indian, Latin and Old Norse, for example :D

Ireland is actually on my favourite-countries-list :p and, well, yeah, I try to read up on Celtic and Viking culture on the side, it's all terribly fascinating.
And I have in fact heard about Franz Bopp a couple of times, butteuhm, I'm afraid I don't share his ambition to that extent ;)

The thought that every European and some Asians once spoke one language is fascinating. Indogermanic should be told in schools when it's done :D

But.. did you get through Irish pronunciation? It's fucking hard. I once got a book from the library and read a couple of internet pages about this but it was just to complicated. You ask 100 people and get 100 different answers :D

I see you can speak very languages, (I alrealdy asked this in another post). I'm making a web of translations songs but I can't translate songs that are in German, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish because I have no idea :S so if anybody of you is so kind to send me song's translations from those languages to english or spanish I will be very grateful :)
Thanks!!!

Thidrek said:
The thought that every European and some Asians once spoke one language is fascinating. Indogermanic should be told in schools when it's done :D

But.. did you get through Irish pronunciation? It's fucking hard. I once got a book from the library and read a couple of internet pages about this but it was just to complicated. You ask 100 people and get 100 different answers :D
No, sadly enough we didn't get to Irish pronunciation! But we did have an Irish teacher for 2 years though, so we basically picked up some typical sounds through him, like the 'i' that's pronounced more closed if you know what I mean, or the 'th' that's pronounced with the tip of the tongue behind the teeth instead of between them, or something like that! Saying these thing is a lot easier than explaining them in writing ;)

But Irish is probably as internally different as any dialect, it probably has heaps of variations from one place to another too, but that's not very helpful to get a general idea of the whole thing is it :ill:

My mother tongue is German, and I speak English also and a little bit French (but not so good). I have learned Latin in school for 4 years, but cannot remember it anymore.
For now I try to teach myself Polish.

Tuatha said:
No, sadly enough we didn't get to Irish pronunciation! But we did have an Irish teacher for 2 years though, so we basically picked up some typical sounds through him, like the 'i' that's pronounced more closed if you know what I mean, or the 'th' that's pronounced with the tip of the tongue behind the teeth instead of between them, or something like that! Saying these thing is a lot easier than explaining them in writing ;)

But Irish is probably as internally different as any dialect, it probably has heaps of variations from one place to another too, but that's not very helpful to get a general idea of the whole thing is it :ill:

the "th" feels funny :D
But what I actually meant is if you get the articulation of all those "db", "mh", "dh" and stuff like that and of curse "ea", "ai" and so on.
Or did you mean this by "Saying these thing is a lot easier than explaining them in writing"?

And if you know how to pronunce these thing do you know what "db" is? Like in the name "Medb". I can't imagine that this should be spoken out as it's written o_O

Hey, thanks, I'm up to watch it^^

edit: hey, that was interesting, but way too short^^
The most interesting thing was the article about that language of that African tribe.. leob, or so^^
They have one word for "to carry a thing between two persons using a stick" :D