What languages do you speak already and which would you like to learn? (and why?)

Heh, now is the situation that I'm going to change my Nordic languages' studies into my secondary subject, and take the Finno-Ugric linguistics as my main subject here in the university. Last week I started the basic courses not only in Latvian and Polish, but also in northern-Sámi language(!). Next week the basics of Russian is about to begin, plus also the basics in Finno-Ugric linguistics and Samoyedology(!). :hotjump:

My native tongue is Dutch.
I speak English and French good to very good. My German is pretty basic.
I want to speak Swedish too, that's why it is one of my subjects at university next year, together with English.

Which leads me to this question: are all of Vintersorg's lyrics "normal" Swedish or are there some dialect elements in it? It's just that I don't have a clue. ;)
It would be cool though, to test my knowledge of Swedish after a year or so atuniversity by listening to the Swedish songs :)

I speak Icelandic (because I live in Iceland :Smug: ) and I also speak english really well, danish (and I understand really well and partly can speak norwegian, swedish and forojan because the languages are so alike :headbang: )
I'm learning spanish and I'm going to learn chinese, russian or japanese and maybe italian or french soon :Spin: and of course I understand old icelandic because it's like new icelandic... in a way at least :p

The Usurper said:
Which leads me to this question: are all of Vintersorg's lyrics "normal" Swedish or are there some dialect elements in it? It's just that I don't have a clue. ;)
It would be cool though, to test my knowledge of Swedish after a year or so atuniversity by listening to the Swedish songs :)
They are in modern swedish, but with many dialectal elements and older and not so common words. Especially in the Otyg lyrics.

The lyrics are also written in a style (hard to describe, but lots of long, co-joined words for example) that I can imagine some urbanised people might have trouble understanding. ;)

hello well i speak spanish, and some english.... also i need your help here for you who speak scandinavian lenguages

i have a Finntroll tshirt and some words in i dont know what lenguage(some scandinanvian) it says this:

"Försvinn du som lyser över mitt folk..."

so if any you could help would be nice

Every time I read this thread it really saddens me that there is almost no tradition of multilingual education in the US, thanks for ruining my day guys. :erk:

I'm learning Swedish on my own and having a difficult time. Not so much the language as with the book I'm using and planning to learn Finnish, Norwegian, German, French and what ever other I can get a hold of.

I speak english (of course) and i took 4 years of spanish in high school and was fluent when i graduated. i don't get to use it much though, so i'm a little rusty. i also recently decided to start learning norwegian because i have norwegian roots. (my whole family is from minnesota) :Spin: i love it, but it is nothing like learning spanish. anyone who wants to send me a message in norwegian is welcome to. i try to learn it wherever i can. :dopey:

*first post* I speak english, a majority of japanese and i have just started taking german. I want to learn Norse, Swedish and norwegian.

I speak norwegian of course, english, and I understand a bit deutch but I can`t speak.
And of course I understand swedish and danish

I want to learn finnish, old norse, deutch, latin, french(can a little bit).

I'm pretty good in German (although Germans would laugh at me) ;-)
In school I learned English, French, Italian and Latin. Now I'm trying
to learn Swedish for one year in university.
Hm, I want to learn a "strange" language like Chinese or Russian... we'll see