What languages do you speak already and which would you like to learn? (and why?)

tyskfödd said:
Surly not, but for the second one you dont have to learn anything new, thats the point. :cool:
So its gotta be the first one, but maybe the ONE we are talking about will tell us finally :Spin:

Of course I know Futhark isn't the only nordic alphabet... but I guess it's the most famous one. There's also a Fuparc and some others... (if I'm right)
The first script was handwriting of "old German" script, the second one the printed letters for this script. "Altdeutsch" =) There are many nice old books printed in old german, I love these letters. I just cannot read the written ones, although I could write it myself, most letters... -.-

Re: Frostheim

Oh well, my mistake, of course. I searched in Internet for some more information about runes, and someone called it Fuparc. I realized too late that it's just wrong reading.
There are several evolutional steps of runes... I don't know if there're etxra names for them.

Zacharias: don't worry, everything's okay, heh.

The absolut origin of the runes is unsolved, but theories are many, here are ie. tree of those:
1) The runes were developed from the Hellenic and Roman alphabets in 500BB till 400AB (before and after the bastard, haha)
2) The goths developed the runes from the Etruscian alphabet in 200BB-100BB
3) The runes were developed in the Stone- and Bronze Ages from the ancient Hallristningor-engravings found in the regions of northern Italy, the southern Germany and Austria

But again, nothing can be said for sure, go figure, hehe.

Numerous sorts of runes has been in use, but the biggest and the best-known runic alphabets are germanic, anglosaxic and scandinavian runes, of which the germanic is probably the oldest, which can be seen when looking at the movements of germanic people taken as a whole.

One should still be careful and sceptical when searching after information about the "magical" meanings and functions of the runes, because every sorts of new-age crap lies behind every corner. All that can be said for sure nowadays is that the runes have been a means of writing and even every day work, but much of the real and veracious information has become destroyed and/or become crooked by a way or another when time has passed.

It's pretty funny how ie. the net is full of "information" about "rune magic" etc. but there is nothing about such at the Nordica, the library for Scandinavian languages that is probably one of the best, widest and most trustworthy databases in the whole Finland when it comes to everything that has something to do with Scandinavian countries, languages, culture, history, arts etc.

Off topic, sorta....
Rune reading doesn't really depend on tradition, it's all about how you personally interpret the results. Just like any other sort of fortune telling tricks. It's really just a way of observing your subconscious, based on how you interpret what you get. The runes/die rolls/whatever you use, themselves, are quite meaningless.
That said, if you insist on trying this, use the 8x8 I Ching table. :p

Rune reading is based on national romanticism from the 1800-1900's and new-age movements for this and that; all the "meanings" and magical descriptions of runes - after which one could be able to "read" and "interpret" them - are nothing but false information and fiction that has nothing to do with the ancient traditions. Meaningless, useless and unessential new age crap which I despise from beginning to end. :hotjump:

Frostheim said:
Hehe, I'm pretty sure that You can't find songs in the net from most of the bands I mentioned earlier, for most of their albums are available only as cassettes and are not easy to be found in usual. But, good luck! :)

Yeah, I ordered the Metsatöll cd and it was just a burned cd with no cover.

Frostheim said:
When I talked with Varulven last time when they were here in Finland, he said to me that they haven't got money for going to studio at the moment, but we'll see. Hope they succeed in bringing the album out some day. Their gig in Tavastia in Helsinki was absolutely great; traditional folk elements are involved nowadays even more, and they've got ie. bagpipes, kantele, recorder, mouth harp etc. in their new songs. Extremely good stuff! :hotjump:

Damn, for some reason Baltic folk metal bands never seem to play around baltimore. I am eternally jealous.

uh, I'm olny speaking swedish and english. wait, I can't speak swedish anymore, I'm speaking on my accent (the same accent as Vintersorg... :loco: )

BUT I want to learn finish, for some strange reason...

Frostheim said:
Rune reading is based on national romanticism from the 1800-1900's and new-age movements for this and that; all the "meanings" and magical descriptions of runes - after which one could be able to "read" and "interpret" them - are nothing but false information and fiction that has nothing to do with the ancient traditions. Meaningless, useless and unessential new age crap which I despise from beginning to end. :hotjump:

I agree wholeheartedly.

About dialects: In addition to the Finnish spoken in the area of the capital region, I speak also a variant of Pöytyä-dialect that is quite similar to Turku-dialect. (Pöytyä is a small rural district of Turku in south-western Finland, from where my father's family comes, whereas my mother's family comes from eastern Finland, namely south-Karelian region) :)

Frostheim said:
About dialects: In addition to the Finnish spoken in the area of the capital region, I speak also a variant of Pöytyä-dialect that is quite similar to Turku-dialect. (Pöytyä is a small rural district of Turku in south-western Finland, from where my father's family comes, whereas my mother's family comes from eastern Finland, namely south-Karelian region) :)

...and about Swedish dialects: I'm from the northen Sweden, I can't understand people from Skåne (the far south of Sweden), they're nearly talking Danish...! ^^

The south of Sweden was Danish for a very long time :mad: but then you took it. Just like you took Norway away from us :err:

I remember learning to write in Runes when I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade but now I've forgotten it :yell:

I just enrolled for my 3rd Swedish course starting next week. Needless to say I again have to attend a new course with new teacher and new classmates. Pisses me off a little but I'm not giving up yet. :)

@ station82o: I don't think there's an universal answer to your question ;) It depends on so many factors.......French certainly isn't the easiest language I can think of though. I remember it was ok for the first two years in school but then it got worse. Heads up! ;)

I speak English, because I am from the US.

I know bits of French, even though I took 3 1/2 years of it in High school. I know a little bit of Spanish, because there are a lot of Mexicans and Latinos where I live. I also know a very little German, mainly from listening to German bands like Kraftwerk and Rammstein for years.

I'd like to learn more German, perhaps more Spanish and French since I'd like to visit Europe someday, and I'd hate to be the typical clueless American tourist.

I'd also like to learn some other non-European languages like Japanese or something like that.

Illnath said:
The south of Sweden was Danish for a very long time :mad: but then you took it. Just like you took Norway away from us :err:

I remember learning to write in Runes when I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade but now I've forgotten it :yell:

You can get Skåne and Halland back... Still I can't understand theirs dialects. ;)

(well, I KNOW that my english sucks. But I don't have my loved dixonary- hard to spell-)

I speak portuguese (because I'm brazilian), english (everybody speaks), spanish (I learned at school) and I'm starting to learn german !

cya...