What languages do you speak already and which would you like to learn? (and why?)

Goch said:
Czeshoslovakian doesn't exist, there's either Czech or Slovakian for you to learn ;)

Well see I really have a lot to learn then! :p It's Czech!

My family on that side (that spoke the language) have all passed away now so I can't ask any of them, I guess I've lost all ties to it now :(

His Divine Shadow said:
Well see I really have a lot to learn then! :p It's Czech!

My family on that side (that spoke the language) have all passed away now so I can't ask any of them, I guess I've lost all ties to it now :(

well, you can always take a language course, can't you? ;)

Mantraschism said:
I am proud to say that I Do Not speak Spanish, French, or Italian. I'm also happy to report that I do not speak any Asian language (although Japanese wouldn't be bad).

Well you shouldn't be proud of it, neolatin languages are beautiful and anyone who's interested in learn some good litterature should know them, not to speak how many french words are in the "melting pot" english

Mantis

I only know english fluently, but I'm starting my 2nd year of German and I took 3 years of spanish when I was younger.

I would like to learn Latin and old Swedish, possibly present day Norwegian, and of course I would like to get more fluent in German.

I speak english and german quite well (I would dare say fluent in both)...also some croatian, a tad bit of swedish,spanish, finnish...but nothing special..i am however starting to learn italian next year...in School..but I'm planning to learn more foreign languages by myself. Gonna be a Tourist Guide/Informator one day...

(sarcastically) We'll in the US since we're so much better than the rest of you we dont need to learn your stupid languages, all of you need to know english though.

My school has that mentality so i got to take 1 whole year of french. Thats it. I think I was one of 2 kids in the class who actually learned anything in there, so i can speak some basic french, but unless I was spoken to very slowly i cant understand anything just because all french flows together so well. With german and stuff i can kinda tell the seperate words, I just have no idea what they mean. I want to learn french, german, and maybe some scandinavian languages in college. Oh how I didn't have to grow up in the "land of opportunity".

Desciple of Decay said:
I speak swedish since it is my mother tounge, and I understand but do not speak norweigan and danish, I am proficient in english, I've studied some french, though my capablities are limited and I am currently studying italian. I would also like to learn latin some time.

E' fantastico che stai studiando italiano, cosa stai facendo letteratura o solo grammatica?

Mantis

My mothers tongue is Croatian.
Other languages I know are:
English - very well (near-native in the context of computer science and technology)
German - I understand it pretty well, but my speaking abilities are somewhat limited because I didn't have the opportunity to talk to anyone in a loooong time
Italian - I learned it at school, but I forgot most of it. I understand it well, but my speaking abilities are VERY limited.
Latin - I learn it at school currently, been learning it for 2 years now (2 more to go). I can translate most of the texts with a dictionary because we learned the whole grammar (yeah, it's a pain, but it's interesting)
Ancient Greek - I also learn it at school, I know many words and some grammar. Been learning it for 2 years, 2 more to go :).

Languages I'd like to learn are:
Finnish - because it's SO beautiful and SO interesting
Swedish - because I'd like to learn another Scandinavian language
Japanese - very interesting IMHO
French - a wonderful language

I'd like to learn as many languages as I can. It's interesting AND useful ;).

I know a little Spanish (my vocabulary is rapidly dwindling, though) even less Romanian, and a smattering of Icelandic, but for now, nothing to brag about.

english (ofcourse) some Sioux (a native american tribe for all you euros :p) a VERY small amount of french some dirty mexican dialected spanish (enough to get slapped or into a fight lol) a working knowledge of lose latin translating and I am currently learning norwegian and sweedish thanks to bands like Vintersorg (saw it comeing didnt you? lmao) and Enslaved. I decided to learn both of those because for one when I got cosmic genesis I listend to it enough I litteraly dreamt in sweedish for a week lmao and two when I got Enslaved's Mardraum I had echoings of norwegian in my head for a month and even picked up a few lines from it.

I Speak English fluently, but I can't write it very well.
I speak Danish of course.
I understand Norwegian perfectly but I can't speak it. (Normal Norwegian not that Ny Norsk language)
Same goes with Swedish, unless the person who's talking to me is drunk. And when it's a Swede talking to me he/she is almost always drunk.
I had German for about 6 or 7 damn years and i still don't know that black demon tongue of a language.

I would like to know old Norse or Dånsk tunga as it was called in the good old days. :D

i have just a lame english as foriegn langauge and my native language is turkish (it's a kind of uralic-altaic language like hungarian or finnish). also i know to speak some kurdish because of my kurdish father :)

and actually i am trying to learn russian & estonain. how to say... estonia... i love that small nordic country :)

also i have joined a german language course but i give up to try to learn it... german was boring :p

Djöfull said:
so what do you know:cool: ?

Mostly useless stuff like numbers, days of the week, a few random words, "smattering" was probably an exaggeration... so if someone were to ask, "Talarðu íslensku?", I'd have to say "Nei."

(I had to look up the word for "no" :erk: )