What makes it METAL ???

musically, 90% of scales used consist of Bb m, Db m, D m, & Eb m, (or harmonic minor for any).
there is no such the as D flat. there is no half step between D and C.

oh, and Em and Bm should be included in that. or how bout just simplify it to say "minor scales". but even that isnt true, when you look at NWOBHM and power metal. major scales often come into metal
~gR~

What has to be in music for it to be metal?
Well, one could start off by stating that metal has to include a set of drums, some guitars and a bass. That seems logical, right? No, it doesn't, seeing as this far from applies to all metal bands. Necromantia for example use a seven-string bass instead of a lead guitar. And even if we said metal included those instruments, it wouldn't get us any further to defining metal, as rock, blues and the such also includes those very instruments.

So, maybe it's the tempo? Maybe it's the speed of the songs, metal has to be fast, old-school Metallica fast, right? Nope, can't say that either. Look at Summoning, Agalloch, Sunn, Ulver, all those bands considered (by some, I should probably add) to be classics in the metal-genre.

The vocals I think we can all agree is in no way an indicator of how metal something is. The best of metal can go from tenor (Iron Maiden, Dio, Dream Theater) to terror (Behemoth, Naglfar, Belphegor).

What really makes metal heavy IMO, is the philosophy. Metal has always been the black sheep of music, highly experimental music is at least considered artistical, whereas people almost expect you to be a lesser human if you listen to metal. They think you're fucked up, messed up in your head, they just await the day you go and shoot up your high-school.

And that is the bittersweet prize of being a metalhead. You are the black sheep of society, and the only friends who can truly emphasize with you are the ones who are exactly what you are, desolate. And this is what creates the nihilistic philosophy on which we were judged, the judgement itself!

Metal is about being the one spotted first in a crowd. Metal is about rising above petty things as personal oppinions and let them flow through you like were they mere ghosts. Metal is about holding your head high and keeping your back straight, and without one look back going through life doing exactly what you're supposed to.

Rock.

Well, one could start off by stating that metal has to include a set of drums, some guitars and a bass. That seems logical, right? No, it doesn't, seeing as this far from applies to all metal bands. Necromantia for example use a seven-string bass instead of a lead guitar. And even if we said metal included those instruments, it wouldn't get us any further to defining metal, as rock, blues and the such also includes those very instruments.

So, maybe it's the tempo? Maybe it's the speed of the songs, metal has to be fast, old-school Metallica fast, right? Nope, can't say that either. Look at Summoning, Agalloch, Sunn, Ulver, all those bands considered (by some, I should probably add) to be classics in the metal-genre.

The vocals I think we can all agree is in no way an indicator of how metal something is. The best of metal can go from tenor (Iron Maiden, Dio, Dream Theater) to terror (Behemoth, Naglfar, Belphegor).

What really makes metal heavy IMO, is the philosophy. Metal has always been the black sheep of music, highly experimental music is at least considered artistical, whereas people almost expect you to be a lesser human if you listen to metal. They think you're fucked up, messed up in your head, they just await the day you go and shoot up your high-school.

And that is the bittersweet prize of being a metalhead. You are the black sheep of society, and the only friends who can truly emphasize with you are the ones who are exactly what you are, desolate. And this is what creates the nihilistic philosophy on which we were judged, the judgement itself!

Metal is about being the one spotted first in a crowd. Metal is about rising above petty things as personal oppinions and let them flow through you like were they mere ghosts. Metal is about holding your head high and keeping your back straight, and without one look back going through life doing exactly what you're supposed to.

Rock.

Winner.

Rock.

My name is Ender Rises and I approve of the preceding message.

:kickass:

That's ridiculous. Many other genres have a 'fuck you' philosophy and fans who are black sheep. What is most important is this doesn't tell me anything about the music - If you asked me what music I listened to and I repeated the philosophy you just described, you would be justified in thinking I listened to grind, goth, rave, avant garde jazz or Wagner among so many other types of music. And I know many metalheads who aren't as you describe. You just can't characterize music by the nature of its fans. I think you're just trying to give a simple answer to avoid answering a complicated and difficult question.

Rock.

youre not as clever as you think you are

Metal is not a sub-genre of anything. Period. Evolving out of a genre does not equal sub-genre status. If you believe that, you know nothing about music.
Semantics...

Metal cannot be defined by lyrical themes. Period. No musical genre can be.
Gangser rap, anarcho-punk, outlaw country, NSBM...

Metal cannot be defined by its influences. Again, no musical genre can be.
Any reason, or are you just going to say "is not!" and leave it at that?

Rock.
Way to make metal sound like shallow retard reject music. If that's what metal is about, count me out.

Rock.

^ shit post

a metal band is a band that plays the style of black sabbath, or another band that can trace its roots to sabbath. mainly has a jazzy guitar, bass, and drums.

that is my simple explanation for metal. now disprove it!!!

Great, thanks a lot Einstein. That's about as helpful as saying that humans are something with two legs who can be traced back to a group of primates 80 million years ago.