What makes it METAL ???

No shit. I hadn't really thought of "jazzy guitar" being one of the prominent traits of metal. At all. Have you ever heard jazz guitar??

Maybe this works better. A style of music somethat similar to rock, stemming off the innovations of Black Sabbath. Characterized by strong vocals, either singed or screamed, a dark, "heavy" sound or feel, and usually strong musicianship.

There's shittons of metal that is very light, bright, and crisp IMO. Mostly power metal.

This whole thing is pretty fucking pointless, but there might actually be something to that "strong vocals" thing. Not a lot of mumbled metal, is there?

Actually, one of metal's defining characteristics may be sounding forceful, or strong. Right??

This whole thing is pretty fucking pointless, but there might actually be something to that "strong vocals" thing. Not a lot of mumbled metal, is there?

Actually, one of metal's defining characteristics may be sounding forceful, or strong. Right??

yea, this is probably the case. All metal, whether it is napalm death or symphony x is forceful/aggressive.

THE GLORY OF METAL IS ETERNAL! COME RIDERS OF THE HORSES OF THE ALMIGHTY, FOR WE SHALL CONQUER THE LANDS BY THE FORCES OF OUR MIGHTY STEEL! WE SHALL SPILL THE BLOOD OF THE UNWORTHY FAR AND WIDE ACROSS THE GLORIOUS PLAINS OF BATTLE!! OUR HORDES SHALL VAQUISH ALL WHO DARE STAND BEFORE OUR MIGHTY FEET!! TAKE UP AXE, TAKE UP SWORD AND TAKE UP SPEAR...BRING FORTH THE BLADES FROM OUR MIGHTY METAL HALLS AND TO BATTLE!! PIERCE THE SKULLS OF OUR ENEMIES! BLEED THEM DRY!

TO GLOOOOOORRYYYYYYY!!!!

CHAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGE!!!!!!!!

(I should be kept away from powermetal after about midnight...)

And by powermetal I mean the real stuff. Fuck dragon force, and fuck all those ambient environment shit faced faggoty disney metal bands. Fuck them all straight to hell. They've tarnished the name of power metal, those goddamn shit faced posers.

Oh my god, so you want to put in keyboards with waves pounding on the shore in the background while some pussy whines about some chick then starts talking about eleven hordes and how much he wants to have buttsex with legolas? Go fuck yourselves.

God I hate them. Sniveling elitists with thier pro-tools and thier fancy ass piles of shit.

AUUUUGGH! IF ON MORE MOTHERFUCKER RECCOMENDS DRAGONFORCE TO ME I'LL SIT HIS FUCKING GUTS!

AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

yea, this is probably the case. All metal, whether it is napalm death or symphony x is forceful/aggressive.

Not true, some bands focus on incorporate soft melodies and don't focus on being aggressive or forceful as other genres, one example is Agalloch, specifically the Mantle. 75% of the guitar playing was acoustic, the other 15% were focused on two songs, which featured some folk acoustic breaks within those songs, and some light riffing in a few songs.

Also, another example to take is Funeral Doom, which focuses on being melancholy, brooding and slooooow as fuck instead of being aggressive and fast. The same could be said for Doom as a whole, but Doom has an element of aggressiveness in it that i'm tentative to include it.

Now, elaborating on an earlier post I made, I feel that with Metal that there's a certain atmosphere about Metal that kinda makes you feel it is Metal. Of course, this is good and bad, as you know myspace scenesters will start considering My Chemical Romance Funeral Death/Doom Metal any moment from now. However, what makes Metal metal is entirely up to your choice, and it helps that we have sites like Metal Archives (and probably Ultimate Metal) to help steer us in the right direction.

So, long story short, Metal is what you pretty much make of it. There isn't really a defined sound to Metal (other than guitar distortion, but even then that's used for rock bands, so i'm not entirely sure) just the defined sound of it's subgenres. Some people choose to consider Static X and Linkin Park metal, and others choose to call Behemoth's earlier albums black metal and their later shit Black/Death Metal. It's all about opinions.

I might be wrong on this, and if I am, then that's fine. I don't consider myself to be an all-knowing metalhead, i've been wrong several times. Until then, i'm just perfectly happy using sites like MA to help define the metal bands i'm listening to.

Can someone who knows quite a bit about music comment on whether there is anything that links together all metal styles of melody, harmony, rhythm, song structure/composition, vocals or the general timbre of the music?

I think the thing that has been ignored so far (as far as i can tell) is that metal is generally a riff-based style of music. It usually involves (but obviously is not limited to) the performing media of electric guitar, bass, drums and vocalist; with the use of guitar distortion a very common convention. Generally speaking, metal songs are constructed out of small musical fragments called riffs, which are repeated, juxtaposed, and sometimes developed over the duration of the song. The often chromatic nature of these riffs, and the distinctive, punctuated rhythms used are what separates metal from rock. Individual metal riffs draw on a whole world of musical influences, as Cynic and Atheist and Agalloch and whoever have shown us, but remain metal because of the aforementioned features, and the structure governed by riffs.

Can someone who knows quite a bit about music comment on whether there is anything that links together all metal styles of melody, harmony, rhythm, song structure/composition, vocals or the general timbre of the music?

no, the key t metal is theatrics. whether it is corpse paint or lingerie, metal is all about theatrics. wub wubwub wub wub wub wub wub wub! jk

I think the thing that has been ignored so far (as far as i can tell) is that metal is generally a riff-based style of music. It usually involves (but obviously is not limited to) the performing media of electric guitar, bass, drums and vocalist; with the use of guitar distortion a very common convention. Generally speaking, metal songs are constructed out of small musical fragments called riffs, which are repeated, juxtaposed, and sometimes developed over the duration of the song. The often chromatic nature of these riffs, and the distinctive, punctuated rhythms used are what separates metal from rock. Individual metal riffs draw on a whole world of musical influences, as Cynic and Atheist and Agalloch and whoever have shown us, but remain metal because of the aforementioned features, and the structure governed by riffs.

much of power metal has guitar work which is far less riff-based than much of metal, the guitar lines primarily of single strummde chords similar to a rock song

there's also the fact that plenty of riff-based rock music exists, especially in hard rock

I'm thinking that there are always going to be exceptions no matter what definition you can think up. There probably isn't a fine line that can be drawn, just does the band use mostly metal elements or mostly elements of another genre? And if it's too close to tell you could call it a cross-genre or at least say it has metal influences.

I'm thinking that there are always going to be exceptions no matter what definition you can think up. There probably isn't a fine line that can be drawn, just does the band use mostly metal elements or mostly elements of another genre? And if it's too close to tell you could call it a cross-genre or at least say it has metal influences.

yes

I think Metal can be defined by the sound, and seems to be evil (plays with the codes of evil, even joke with them).

To be metal this shit has to be complicated and technical enough to keep out the shit bands like slipknot who cant compete. It has to have lyrics that tell tales of epic battles or kingdoms fallen to an evil tyrant. Not how much life sucks and that you just ran out of your black eyeshadow(Slipknot). Metal is supposed to be full of speed and energy and it makes you wanna kick the teeth out of the next guy who messes with you. And the bands who call themselves metal and cant compete with real metal bands were exiled to a no man's land of terrible, non-rythmic, downer music. Or "Nu-Metal".

i made this thread after readin posts in some of the threads about nu-metal, slipknot, and hardcore.

i think before you can say a band isnt metal you need to know what makes a band metal.

so i want to hear what everyone thinks has to be in music to make it metal.

I don't give two fucks if that sort of band "is" metal, bullshit by any other name still stinks. if they're metal, they're shit metal, and that's really all that matters. saying 'well, hey, they are metal though' is hardly some sort of redeeming feature like saying 'she may be fuckin ugly prudish Christian, but she does have a vagina after all'.

I think a riff really makes a metal song for some reason, its central to the metal genre. I guess thick distortion and and growly/shouting vocals kinda make it metal.