What new cds do you have rolling?

Mosquito said:
Cronian - What era of Vintersorg? I group them like this

Folky stuff
-----
Hedniskhjärtad
Till Fjälls
Ödemarkens Son

Folky but new direction? (my favourite album really)
-----
Cosmic Genesis

The WTF era (dont really know how to describe it...its uh...odd...but enjoyable)
-------
Visions From The Spiral Generator
The Focusing Blur

I have to say that I find TFB pretty weak though. Theres some good tunes but I think it gets bogged down too much. The last two Bork albums are similar to it and I think that hurts Bork too.

As far as GC goes, its actually two guys singing. When you hear the 'normal' green carnation singer sound, its the main guy, Kjetil. However, on songs like "The Burden Is Mine...Alone", its actually the bassist Stein. I didn't realize this until I saw them live though. : )

Well I am not very familiar with all those releases. Cronian is just Oystein from Borknagar and then Vintersorg himself. This release basically sonuds like the last Borknagar album but with slight electronic programming. I like this release, but its not the best Vintersorg related release. I am in the middle of reviewing it, but I think it gets a 6 maybe 7.

Regarding GC I had no idea that Stein sang on that song. That is my very favvorite GC song and I guess I could have found this out had their acoustic guitars had actually arrived.

Nocturnal Rites - Grand Illusion - Great songs, catchy as Hell! I can't keep this one out of my CD player!

Edguy - Rocket Ride - Same as above

Savage Circus - Dreamland Manor - These guys are going to kick so much ass at PPVII!!

Shining Star - Enter Eternity - IMO Lance King's best vocals since Balance of Power!

Dio - Holy Diver Live - First CD - the entire Holy Diver album, second CD - classic Rainbow/Sabbath/Dio tunes including "Tarot Woman," "Sign of the Southern Cross," "One Night In the City" and "Gates of Babylon."

Evergrey - Monday Morning Appocalypse - Differant, but not as bad as others have made it out to be. I really like 3 or 4 songs. It's growing on me.

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime II - Overall a decent album. Not great, just good.

The Helloween remasters - Nice packaging, killer bonus materials.

Just listened to Project Alcazar - Reasons for a Decade. Energetic neo-classical metal.

Ojos asi from Shakira rules! IT's a GREAT song! I am serious! :headbang:

Lately I've been in a The Gathering marathon... All their albums! I just ordered the new one, Home...

I've also been listening to:

Oceansize, Godspeed you black emperor!, Anekdoten, Massive Attack...

Jorn - The Duke
Sonata Arctica - For The Sake of Revenge
Queensryche - Operation MINDcrime Part 2
Great White - Once Bitten Twice Live
Pyramaze - Legend of the Bone Carver

Jurakan said:
I was spinning Tourniquet MVoaTR today for the same reason.
Coincidence I don't think so. I was spinning Tourniquet's "Pshyco Surgery" yesterday. A little bit of Stryper on the side for old time's sake.

edgeofthorns said:
I think I try to compare them to Nightwish and Within Temptation, which isn't fair to Lucauna Coil.

I agree, since Lacuna Coil is more akin to The Gathering than either of those two bands. Yeah, female vocals are prominent in LC, but Christina Scabbia isn't trying to do opera vocals. She has a relatively straightforward approach that personally, I prefer. Heck, I really only got into Nightwish when Tarja started scaling back on the opera, and Within Temptation only really hit me with their last album.

I like Karmacode a lot, actually - it's my least favorite album they've put out to date but I've warmed up to it...kinda like Queensryche's Promised Land, though I hate to compare this album to that as that could signal that the next album is going to be...well, I hope they avoid that.

Also, I've picked up...

Atreyu - A Death Grip On Yesterday. The best of the metalcore bands, but I've still only played this once.

The Birthday Massacre - Nothing and Nowhere. One of the best synthpop/darkwave bands to appear in years; incredible pop melodies, lush atmosphere, and to top it off, industrial thunder-riff guitars.

Bullet For My Valentine - The Poison. Sounds almost exactly like Atreyu on disc, and they weren't completely horrible opening for Lacuna Coil and Rob Zombie.

Fields of the Nephilim - Mourning Sun. People keep calling bands like Epica, Within Temptation, et al. "gothic rock." Those bands are not gothic rock...THIS is gothic rock.

Fields of the Nephilim - Elizium. A classic album by one of the greatest goth bands in the history of the genre.

Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance. One of the only goth metal bands that really is goth metal, this is a great album and may very well be my "album of the year"...though bear in mind I am a Katatonia fanboy.

Rob Zombie - Educated Horses. I like it, and it shows that Zombie is trying to have a longterm musical career by scaling back a bit with the cheesiness.

I had no idea that the new Moonspell and Scar Symmetry albums were out. I thought the last Moonspell album was a good return to form after a string of increasingly watered down albums, so if this continues in the right direction...good. Also, until Scar Symmetry sells out, a new album by them is cause for celebration.

Angrafan said:
Lately I've been in a The Gathering marathon... All their albums! I just ordered the new one, Home...

What a great, overlooked band. Anneke Van Giersbergen is the best female heavy metal vocalist ever (even if they aren't metal anymore, but still good).

Ruthven said:
What a great, overlooked band. Anneke Van Giersbergen is the best female heavy metal vocalist ever (even if they aren't metal anymore, but still good).

I agree, man.. She is incredible live! The shows were amazing!

But they played in such a tiny place! Seriously, I think it was as big as my living room... LOL It was cool, though.. Very intimate atmosphere.. Great show!

Angrafan said:
I agree, man.. She is incredible live! The shows were amazing!

But they played in such a tiny place! Seriously, I think it was as big as my living room... LOL It was cool, though.. Very intimate atmosphere.. Great show!

And you started a moshpit....:lol:

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
When I start listening to a The Gathering CD I just can't stop! Just too good...
And that's what I've been listening to lately ;)

Spinning in the Caribbean:
Evergrey: Monday Morning Apocalypse. Great work
Jorn: The Duke. As expected, heavy stuff, fantastic vocal work.
Tears Of Anger: In The Shadows. In the spirit of Jorn, great vocals, heavy riffin'. You have to check them out.
Kiko Loureiro: No Gravity. I enjoy listening to this guy explore different musical approaches. He manages his influences very well.
Obituary: Frozen in Time. THEY'RE BAAACK!!!

Pellaz said:
The new Amorphis and Moonspell CDs are both excellent....returns to form in both cases.

I realllly need to make a few big-ass "bombing-run" orders from Laser's Edge and The End soon. :D :D

When listening to the new Amorphis album... I could almost hear them at ProgPower. Sure it has growls, but.. so does Orphaned Land and Therion. But yeah, I think most people here would enjoy Amorphis's Eclipse album.

I have been listening to SOLIDVISION, SPHERIC UNIVERCE EXPERIENCE, and my latest find DREAMTONE, an awesome new band from Turkey of all places. It is very dark but yet very melodic, a cross between Shadow Gallery, and Saviour Machine, witha little kamelot thrown in for good measure.