What type of JEEEOOOOORRRB do you have?

project manager is one field where you can make a shitload of money over here. It's actually something my dad does (he's an engineering contractor who also works as a project manager of the contracts he gets).

average salary here of a PM is around 90,000 I believe. Good ones make 150+

at work in the "summerhill Winery" in kelowna B.c. I work in the kitchen as a cook,and duty's varry from the line to functions and prep etc.

fucking awesome job, because i love top cook.

I work at Old Navy... a decent summer job. The best part are the many legal, attractive girls working there. The worst part is the hour and half transit. I've been going back and forth between full and part time.

Yeah, as far as basic/menial jobs go, landscaping seems like one of the nicest -- outdoors, with lots of open space, the smell of fresh grass and soil, and very little human interaction involved.

I would agree, and I like doing my own yardwork, but a landscaping job takes on a new meaning if you have to do it in the Tucson, AZ, summer heat.

When I was going through school, I opted for washing dishes (I mostly chose it because I didn't want to cut my long hair).

Anyone with a decent education would find any modern 'career path' restrictive, boring and ultimately unsatisfying.

What does "decent" mean in this sentence?

I think your comments would be more appropriate if you didn't generalize this. I also agree with vihris-gari in that if you are interested in what you are doing, it makes it much more tolerable, and even enjoyable, whatever it is.

Not that my education even approaches "decent", but I like what I do, especially when I get to do design work (as opposed to just drafting or "redline" changes). I think someday I might like to teach elementary school. Probably kindergarten or 1st grade. I also might like to teach drafting.

i'd much rather have my freedom than all the comforts the modern world has to offer. but thanks anyway

my point is if I didn't want to work 7 days a week i didn't HAVE to. now if I want any kind of decent job, it's automatically an 8 hour per 5 day week wearing a suit and having a neat haircut. and i would at least like to be able to see sunlight other than only on weekends.

Not true. My job is 8-5 in an office and I wear jeans to work and listen to my iPod while working :cool:

and if you didn't work 7 days a week, you would probably starve to death you idiot.

People in 1700s worked 70 80 hours a week so they could fucking survive. They didn't have a choice of when to work or not. It was either go out there and do 12 hours of back - breaking manual labor in HORRIFIC conditions or my family is going to starve tonight.

UHHHHHHHH Since fucking WHEN did you become a fucking historian on the Romantic era????
The Lower class did what you are describing there, yes, but THEY STILL DO TO THIS DAY! The middle and upper classes did not experience that sort of life by any means.
God you're a stinking twit.

People in 1700s worked 70 80 hours a week so they could fucking survive. They didn't have a choice of when to work or not. It was either go out there and do 12 hours of back - breaking manual labor in HORRIFIC conditions or my family is going to starve tonight.

Hehe, wait till you see the Philippines...

anyways, in your country (ex: USA), is it required or mandated to work in the office for at least 8 hours a day or 40 hours a week there?

My last day of hell is tomorrow! I can't wait to be rid of this shitty day job. I will, however, be staying on weekends for the time being since the job is ridiculously easy and I need the money for school and what not.

When I graduate I would love to get into the video game industry but I am open to working in a variety of media so long as I find the work satisfying and the pay decent.

and if you didn't work 7 days a week, you would probably starve to death you idiot.

I don't really have time to discuss this, but suffice it to say I don't assess my quality of life solely by the comforts I am surrounded by. Your bullshit about the pleasures of air-conditioners, widescreen televisions and iced donuts falls on barren soil. And you should make sure you limit your statements to post 18th C liberal states. The life you are talking about - which as was pointed out it was mainly the lower classes who lived it - was all a consequence of many things: the rise of the nation state and centralized public administration, private ownership, laissez-faire economics all of which still exist today. Not to say life before that was perfect but if anything, it's you who is glorifying our modern life.

I think your points are silly. It's not like people in past centuries could wander around not working if they wanted to survive. Not to mention to diseases and poor medical care that you would have to deal with.