what's with the Pantera bashing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Witchburner

Dec 16, 2005
Would someone please explain to me why practically everyone
hates this band so much. I just don't get it. Is it because they
ripped off Exhorder's sound (cowboys era of course)? It wouldn't be the first time a band's done that.
Granted I know that Phil's a complete moron but hey. That's rock n Roll.
What REALLY urks me is all the Dimebag bashing. Especially just after the 1 year anniversary of his death.
Please keep in mind, I mean no disrespect to THIS board. It's just that every other board I've been on seems to share this opinion:)

Witchburner said:
Would someone please explain to me why practically everyone
hates this band so much. I just don't get it. Is it because they
ripped off Exhorder's sound (cowboys era of course)? It wouldn't be the first time a band's done that.
Granted I know that Phil's a complete moron but hey. That's rock n Roll.
What REALLY urks me is all the Dimebag bashing. Especially just after the 1 year anniversary of his death.
Please keep in mind, I mean no disrespect to THIS board. It's just that every other board I've been on seems to share this opinion:)
Phil>you

dimebag was one of, if not the best guitarist ever to live, i fucking hate anyone who disrepects this metal legend.

because they are overrated and partly to blame for nu metal. i say partly because anthrax has an equal share in that
~gR~

I don't get the big deal with the band or Dimebag actually. I don't hate them, I just don't see it. It seems like Pantera is just a decent metal band that everyone can gather around because they don't have any weird quirks that would tell people otherwise, like some of the more embarrasingly bad or corny metal bands. So if 98 out of 100 people into metal who have heard them like them or think they're "better than ok," they did well. It helps when one band member is known for being an asshole, and another is known for being dead (no disrespect to Dimebag for saying that, it's just how it is. People die, they become better known and respected).
Not a bad band, just doesn't impress me much, neither does DD's playing.

did it ever occur to you that maybe people posting on boards just simply don't like pantera's music...

no you dont recall correctly. Pantera released some kick arse fucking albums. Put simply, people who respond, as most have in this thread, in two ways to Pantera.

1. They are either sick of all the people who rant and rave on about them unnecesarily (which, around here, there aren't that many of).
2. Are trend whores, who bash bands because that sell more records than their misunderstood, underappreciated one-man-band heros.

Bringing them up is a waste of time as you KNOW the discussion will turn to shit as every dickhead who has a smart arse comment to make about them, gravitates towards Pantera posts. That and generally the people who post about Pantera, are Pantera fanboys who dribble rubbish that isn't worth reading anyway. You really can't win.

misfit said:
no you dont recall correctly. Pantera released some kick arse fucking albums. Put simply, people who respond, as most have in this thread, in two ways to Pantera.

1. They are either sick of all the people who rant and rave on about them unnecesarily (which, around here, there aren't that many of).
2. Are trend whores, who bash bands because that sell more records than their misunderstood, underappreciated one-man-band heros.

Bringing them up is a waste of time as you KNOW the discussion will turn to shit as every dickhead who has a smart arse comment to make about them, gravitates towards Pantera posts. That and generally the people who post about Pantera, are Pantera fanboys who dribble rubbish that isn't worth reading anyway. You really can't win.

truth

misfit makes a good point, but let me elaborate about the fanboy thing, saying that popular metal bands in general get ripped on in message boards. No matter what board you post on, you will get flamed for posting about Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Lamb of God, and yes, Pantera.

dime was a decent player...nothing great, nothing extraordinary, that's for sure. there are far superior players out there today both technically and emotionally.

pantera were not a bad band but they were so over rated. and their fans are morons.

no-one can give anything other than a personal opinion on what is *emotional* playing, as for technique, he sounds great to me.

some of you guys worry about how technically perfectly people are playing that you forget to listen to the music. you're the kind of people who'd love nirvana if a power chord was the most difficult chord to play in the world, but don't like them cos it's really easy.

People bash on Pantera because they're half-way retarded overly-rhythmic groove bullshit.

I say full-way retarded overly-rythmic groove bullshit that utterly destroys the purpose of a solo because the solo is so out of place that it detracts from an already abyssmal song.

Status
Not open for further replies.