When did this all begin for you?

LasKrolest

PolishPrincess
Oct 13, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA (POLAND)
What age did you start getting into Extreme Metal, how did you fine out about it, and what were some of the first bands you listened to?

For me, I first was into old Metallica - Kill 'em all, Master of Puppets, also into Megadeth, Testament... but I found that it wasn't enough for me.. I wanted more heavier bands.. so, one day I found an old Metal Maniacs magazine for sale, which I bought.. and read in amazement about Cannibal Corpse and other bands... they were all about the gore/zombie shit I also was into... I was instantly drawn to a lot of those bands. Soon I forgot about Craptallica.. I begged my Dad to drive me to the CD store, where I bought my first Hypocrisy album... I was 12 years old at that time. I was the only Metalhead in Junior Highschool with Hypocrisy, Obituary shirts on.. and the same all of Highschool. I spread the word to friends, and they turned Metal also.

Back then, the bands that ruled my CD player were - Carcass, Napalm Death, Obituary, Deicide, Hypocrisy, Amorphis, Nevermore, Children of Bodom, Cannibal Corpse, Emperor, Opeth, blah blah.
Nowadays.. a lot of those bands newer albums I don't care for one bit, but I will never forget how I came to be Metal and proud :)

LasKrolest said:
What age did you start getting into Extreme Metal, how did you fine out about it, and what were some of the first bands you listened to?

For me, I first was into old Metallica - Kill 'em all, Master of Puppets, also into Megadeth, Testament... but I found that it wasn't enough for me.. I wanted more heavier bands.. so, one day I found an old Metal Maniacs magazine for sale, which I bought.. and read in amazement about Cannibal Corpse and other bands... they were all about the gore/zombie shit I also was into... I was instantly drawn to a lot of those bands. Soon I forgot about Craptallica.. I begged my Dad to drive me to the CD store, where I bought my first Hypocrisy album... I was 12 years old at that time. I was the only Metalhead in Junior Highschool with Hypocrisy, Obituary shirts on.. and the same all of Highschool. I spread the word to friends, and they turned Metal also.

Back then, the bands that ruled my CD player were - Carcass, Napalm Death, Obituary, Deicide, Hypocrisy, Amorphis, Nevermore, Children of Bodom, Cannibal Corpse, Emperor, Opeth, blah blah.
Nowadays.. a lot of those bands newer albums I don't care for one bit, but I will never forget how I came to be Metal and proud :)

Extreme metal?

I listen to all kinds of metal, but mostly progressive bands with lots of feeling.
I listen other music styles aswell, but mostly metal.

When I was young I wasn't really into music.
I often shared a same room with my brother, who listened all kinds of things.
He listened some punk and pop bands - and also Blind Guardian and Iced Earth.

When he moved out of the room, I asked which music that was.. with the "fast" shredding and weird stuff. He told me about bg, so I started getting all their music and started looking for other bands aswell.
At school the kids at school who listened music listened to pop, digital 4/4 music and nu-metal.
I was never really happy at that school - I didnt have friends or anything.
I was often super angry, (also because of home situation) and I was looking for just the most noisy and busy things I could get.
That's when I started getting into death-metal and so.
I was 11 years old or so;
This is when I got into "extreme" metal.

Later, some years later I asked my parents if I could play drums.
I was told that drums are not an instrument, and I would never get one.
We had an (unused) electric guitar with amplifier in our house, (it used to belong to someone else). I took it and put it in my room and just started making noise.
My dad entered my room and asked if I want guitar lessons.
Thats when I heard many different artists and all.
I was determin. to learn guitar like hell and be as good as them.

Much later, I was much into everything. I especially liked progressive things.
I knew someone of the net who was much into metal and played guitar hisself, he told me about evergrey.

Ok a bit messy story, if you want to know more just let know :)

frankfrank said:
Extreme metal?

I listen to all kinds of metal, but mostly progressive bands with lots of feeling.
I listen other music styles aswell, but mostly metal.

When I was young I wasn't really into music.
I often shared a same room with my brother, who listened all kinds of things.
He listened some punk and pop bands - and also Blind Guardian and Iced Earth.

When he moved out of the room, I asked which music that was.. with the "fast" shredding and weird stuff. He told me about bg, so I started getting all their music and started looking for other bands aswell.
At school the kids at school who listened music listened to pop, digital 4/4 music and nu-metal.
I was never really happy at that school - I didnt have friends or anything.
I was often super angry, (also because of home situation) and I was looking for just the most noisy and busy things I could get.
That's when I started getting into death-metal and so.
I was 11 years old or so;
This is when I got into "extreme" metal.

Later, some years later I asked my parents if I could play drums.
I was told that drums are not an instrument, and I would never get one.
We had an (unused) electric guitar with amplifier in our house, (it used to belong to someone else). I took it and put it in my room and just started making noise.
My dad entered my room and asked if I want guitar lessons.
Thats when I heard many different artists and all.
I was determin. to learn guitar like hell and be as good as them.

Much later, I was much into everything. I especially liked progressive things.
I knew someone of the net who was much into metal and played guitar hisself, he told me about evergrey.

Ok a bit messy story, if you want to know more just let know :)

Looks like I'm not the only one who got into Metal at a younger age.
You know.. I didn't have any friends in Highschool too. I just didn't WANT any.. because most of the kids were so immature.. and I was so into Metal.. that it was all I would talk and think about.. I didn't want to waste my time with ghetto people (the school was almost all black people) anyway...

What bands did you listen to at that young age?

LasKrolest said:
Looks like I'm not the only one who got into Metal at a younger age.
You know.. I didn't have any friends in Highschool too. I just didn't WANT any.. because most of the kids were so immature.. and I was so into Metal.. that it was all I would talk and think about.. I didn't want to waste my time with ghetto people (the school was almost all black people) anyway...

What bands did you listen to at that young age?

Of the bands you listened to:
Napalm Death, Deicide, Nevermore, Cannibal Corpse.
Other bands I listened to are The Crown, Death, Haunted etc

I got later into Children of Bodom when I felt not super shit.
I know Opeth only for 2 years or so.

Nowadays I like much more music - the problem with the people at school was not that they liked different music. (altough I hated that they were just following each other "ah this band called limb shitrap is cool", wow "yes, sounds awesome". - They didn't carry any opinion of themself whatsoever)
The problem was that they were ********. I couldn't stand them.
There were some people who atleast threated me normal but they werent friends or so.

I used to be alone in breaks, just sitting somewhere - eating - waiting.
It was only 1 year ago. I'm (just) 17 years old now.

I'm in another high school now. The people here are nice - there arent much people around with the same music taste though.

frankfrank said:
Of the bands you listened to:
Napalm Death, Deicide, Nevermore, Cannibal Corpse.
Other bands I listened to are The Crown, Death, Haunted etc

I got later into Children of Bodom when I felt not super shit.
I know Opeth only for 2 years or so.

Nowadays I like much more music - the problem with the people at school was not that they liked different music. (altough I hated that they were just following each other "ah this band called limb shitrap is cool", wow "yes, sounds awesome". - They didn't carry any opinion of themself whatsoever)
The problem was that they were ********. I couldn't stand them.
There were some people who atleast threated me normal but they werent friends or so.

I used to be alone in breaks, just sitting somewhere - eating - waiting.
It was only 1 year ago. I'm (just) 17 years old now.

I'm in another high school now. The people here are nice - there arent much people around with the same music taste though.

Ugh.. I feel sorry for you that you still have to suffer thru Highschool. I graduated 2 years ago... Your situation sounds the same as mine.. During lunch I'd sit alone.. usually with headphones on.. blasting metal... or I'd be alone in the library.. which was just about the only place I could sorta relax away from the idiots. I felt VERY out of place... Funny thing was.. a lot of people were scared of me... All I'd wear was band shirts, jeans, camo.. and boots.. a few times, someone would get the nerve to talk to me.. and they'd say that they would see me in the halls and I looked scary.. but then they would talk to me.. and I wasn't so bad afterall.. Senior year I had just about enough of school.. I was SOOO ready to leave... Atleast I only had to go from 7:30 to 11:00.. I had most of my credits already.. so I didn't need to go all day.

As for Children of Bodom.. I found them just out of the blue one day.. I was at a local metal store and saw the killer cover for "Something Wild".. which just came out at the time.. I decided to give it a shot without even hearing them.. and I been a fan ever since. Opeth I have been into since I was 15.. now I'm 20.. and Opeth still is one of my faves.

I hope all goes well with you with the rest of school... is this going to be your last year? Hang in there :)

I've always been a fan of loud music. But for some reason I never really got the chance to hear metal until I was about 16 years old. It started pretty easy with Sepeltura and some korn music (I don't like them now) I meet some friends who looked metal and then I slowly got into it myself.

My favourite bands are Opeth, Agalloch, In the Woods, Katatonia plus loads more.

I was never a reject in school or anything. And even though I do feel a bit like an outsider, I'd never had any problems with it school. In fact I was deemed as the funny one in the yearbook :tickled:

I started listening to music when I was 7 years old with Metallica. I was a funny kid, ehh?
Nowadays I can say, that swedish metal scene is my favourite!:headbang:
Of course, I :worship: finnish, british, german, american etc. metal bands, also.

In flames's pinball map did it for me. I had never heard metal before and after I heard those fuckin guitars I was like holy shit! :hotjump:

For my 12th birthday, I got The Black Album form Metallica. And still.. That's the best birthday present I ever got! But I had to buy the CD again last year, because he was used day and night =) It just changed my hole life. I began to listen to older Metallica stuff, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, ...
Nowadays, 17 years old, I listen to every kind of metal, I like them all, but I prefer progressive metal and gothenburg metal.

I can't remember how old I was when it started, but I do remember being more into bands that had a more aesthetic vibe, like King's X, I Mother Earth, Faith No More, Prong-E.T.C. Then I heard the Mighty and unpigeonholeable ACID BATH and
that sparked my interest in bands like Carcass, Godflesh, Napalm Death-E.T.C.

I started listening to metal because of the Backstreet Boys. Seriously.

I was into the whole MTV scene back around at 13 years old. So one time my brother and I had an argument, where he called the music I liked boy band music. Being the dumbass that I was, I wasn't too clear on the concept. I thought he meant a band without chicks. So, as an example for my point that I'm no tthe only one who listens to bands with only guys, I randomly picked an album of his that I remembered he owned. So I said: "well, I didn't see any girls in Metallica - they must be a boy band too!". To which my brother replied: "First of all, you're stupid. Second, that Metallica album (which was the Black album) rules, and don't you dare say otherwise."

So some time passed, and one day I was bored so decided to see what he was raving about. And thats how it started.

As for the heavier metal, I started with recommendations from other people in my school (Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Opeth, Symphony X, Dream Theater and so on), and pretty much the rest I did on my own with the internet.

In high school, I wasn't an outsider at all, since I think the metal thing is quite accepted here. There were more than a handful of people like me, and even though they wore these gory shirts and had this long hair, no one really gave a damn.

@LasKrolest: I feel sorry for you, but I don't think you made it easier on yourself by listening to your music during the breaks. That would alienate anyone. There was a guy who did it in my school, and I never got it, since you can listen the whole time you're at home - at school, you should take advantage of the fact that you're with people.

Frosties, Your post reminds me of a friend I have who loves all manner of extreme metal, listens to shit like Crown and Nile on a regular basis, has all of the same pet peeves about metal in general that we all do (These guys are poseurs, that last album shows they sold out-yadda, yadda, yadda) wears carcass shirts and has a big ol' cannibal corpse sticker on his bumper-but when you walk into his house, he has Britney spears posters on his wall and N'SYNC cds in between his Exhumed and Iron Maiden! When I asked him about it, I said "this is a Joke right? I mean, I like Britney's looks sorta, so I could see the posters. but this N'sync shit belongs to your kid sister right?"

And he's like "No dude, I like um! I really do."
I had a beer in my hand and I raised into the air and said "Here's to you brother! I doubt I could ever be THAT open minded.":worship:

when i was 10 i was listening scorpions.then i bought metallica and justice for all...then i started to become a sepultura fan.at the age of 16 i meet with sentenced and since the day my favourite group is sentenced.but i listen dark tranquillity,death,at the gates,opeth,pain of salvation,evergrey,katatonia,immortal vs.

ACIDBATHER said:
Frosties, Your post reminds me of a friend I have who loves all manner of extreme metal, listens to shit like Crown and Nile on a regular basis, has all of the same pet peeves about metal in general that we all do (These guys are poseurs, that last album shows they sold out-yadda, yadda, yadda) wears carcass shirts and has a big ol' cannibal corpse sticker on his bumper-but when you walk into his house, he has Britney spears posters on his wall and N'SYNC cds in between his Exhumed and Iron Maiden! When I asked him about it, I said "this is a Joke right? I mean, I like Britney's looks sorta, so I could see the posters. but this N'sync shit belongs to your kid sister right?"

And he's like "No dude, I like um! I really do."
I had a beer in my hand and I raised into the air and said "Here's to you brother! I doubt I could ever be THAT open minded.":worship:

Like your friend, I too like to think of myeslf as open-minded. The difference between me and him is, I havew good taste:loco:

For the record, I don't listen to those bands anymore, but I do listen to more conventional, even mainstream bands, along with my metal...

When I was 9 or 10 I was sent to boarding school because my mother had issues. I listened to Creed a lot, not thinking about the lyrics that much but the guitar I really liked. Then I jumped over to more bands who write about their feelings and that's how I ended up with Evergey, Sentenced, Falkenbach, HIM, After Forever, LAcuna Coil ... I enjoy prog, göthenburg-sound, black-metal, pagan, death and especially goth. And by the way Creedsinger f**ked up and got fired and the gitarist found other members to found Alter Bridge.

Hello I'm a 15 French boy, so I have only five years of English lessons! :cry:
So I will make some mistakes! :D

I started listening to metal when I was 10, because my sister's friend gave her In Search of Truth, The divine Wings of Tragedy of Symphony X, and Metropolis part II: A scene from Memoryof Dream Theater, but she didn't like, so I got back :D :D

Kiss was the coolest band ever, and when I saw them live, Iron Maiden was the opening act and had just released Killers. That's when I started to get into the NWOBH...

I started with 11 years old with Morbid Angel,Death,Megadeth,King Diamond,Obituary,Paradox,Heathen,Over Kill,etc.
All kinds of metal.I'm listening about 250 bands.

For years (6-12) I hardly listened anything else than Neil Diamond, then I started expanding my collection to other old soft stuff like Dire Straits, Eric Clapton and so on. When I was 15 (6 years ago) I started listening 'heavier' stuff like Queen, Van Halen, Scorpions and Whitesnake, and after that it didn't take long before I discovered bands like Iced Earth, Metallica, Iron Maiden, After Forever, Manowar, HammerFall, Dimmu Borgir and Paradise Lost. After that, there was really no stopping... by now my collection contains over 1500 originals and it's still growing... yeah it's really an addiction