"When Dream and Day Unite" and "Symphony X"

Andromeda Weapon

New Metal Member
Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
Hey, everyone!

I'd like to discuss Dream Theater's and Symphony X's first albums. I find a few similarities between the two:

1.Both albums had a singer that they didn;t like after that album and then replaced them with a much better singer (ex. Rod Taylor-Russell Allen, Charlie Dominici-James LaBrie).

2.Many of the riffs sound like they are from the same pallet. Both are almost interchangable.

3.The keyboards sound similar on both albums, both in patches and in style of playing.

4.The overall music seems to be technically proficient, but they weren't really too sure of themsleves on either album.

What do you guys think? Agree? Disagree? More similarities? Differences?

I think one difference is that DT threw Charlie out while SyX were going to keep Rod, but he left on his own (I have read before they already started recording Damnation Game vocals with him when he decided to leave).

I think both off the albums is cd`s with crazy instrumental playing to prove that they are good musicians. I think the album is very honest, they have their good and bad songs.

Yngvai X said:
I think one difference is that DT threw Charlie out while SyX were going to keep Rod, but he left on his own (I have read before they already started recording Damnation Game vocals with him when he decided to leave).

I heard that the guys didn't like the vocals rod was laying down for Damnation and the met Russel during the sessions. They invited him down on an off day and he sang one or 2 of the songs and they immediately ousted Rod and brought in Russ. I could be wrong, but that's the story I heard.

One thing, if Rod left the band on his own, he made a huge mistake. Just look at where he is now.

scanner313 said:
I heard that the guys didn't like the vocals rod was laying down for Damnation and the met Russel during the sessions. They invited him down on an off day and he sang one or 2 of the songs and they immediately ousted Rod and brought in Russ. I could be wrong, but that's the story I heard.

One thing, if Rod left the band on his own, he made a huge mistake. Just look at where he is now.

Not only did he leave on his own, but he also INTRODUCED Russ to the other guys. I think what I heard was, he told them he was leaving and said "oh yeah, I know this other singer guy if you want to audition him, Russell Allen, hes ok" LOL

Why did Rod leave? WAH! Rod is sooo much better than that uh.. Russ guy. Russ sucks. How could people even compare Russ to Rod? Rod is a genius.

Doesn't anybody else think that the first DT singer sounded like a very, very bad Geddy Lee imitation? Only Geddy should try to sing like Geddy. Anybody else just sounds really silly.

Hyoukinmono said:
Doesn't anybody else think that the first DT singer sounded like a very, very bad Geddy Lee imitation? Only Geddy should try to sing like Geddy. Anybody else just sounds really silly.

I always felt that way about Dominici. James blows him out of the water easily. Thats why he is in the band.

Hyoukinmono said:

That's how I've always felt. Have you ever heard Coheed and Cambria? They're some sort of emo band (shame one me) but their singer sounds a lot like Geddy at times, except much higher. ;) It's strange.

I actually love When Dream And Day Unite, whereas the s/t SX album didn't strike me as much as DT's at first, but with Russell came the change for SX.
Charlie Dominici was a good singer for DT, James LaBrie has his moments, but nowadays he's just a shadow of himself. I like the old DT.