When the oceans rise - General Chat Thread

^ Though I guess you're the only "dick-head" here because you didn't read my last sentence.

I admit it was a mistake to say "people from the US are getting what they deserve." Many are, but I agree with you in that I shouldn't speak in general terms. My bad, sorry. It was an honest mistake, I always think that people pay for what their government does (believe me, I know), but I am sure some people are getting what they deserve with all this that is happening right now. Sad times, truly.

I honestly don't hate people because of where they're from, I just hate, as you said it, "inept" US policy in general.

You're just mad at me, and I really couldn't care less. However, try to keep your vulgar language to yourself next time. I love discussions (that's why I post duh), but it's not worth it if you're just going to be angry in a very immature way by things I say. Sure, I made a mistake, but instead of being a jerk, you could take your head out of your ass, stop being a kid, and correct me or state your point of view in a nicer way.

Cheers!

Just calling a spade a spade. Saying "people" get what they deserve, when the only people getting screwed at large are common people (notice the government is bailing out the fat cats), is a dick thing to do. The last thing I am is mad at you; but notice in bold letters you point out you shouldn't have said "people."

You can say the U.S. and the common Joe deserve getting their shit kicked in all you want. No te estoy regañando. You can say we all deserve to burn in hellfire while getting semen shot all over us. But if you think Americans "ruin" everything, you shouldn't be rejoicing over our economy getting ruined, because we take everyone with us (and we are)!

I'm still puzzled as to why the US. gets so much hate from non-US residents(I'd say American but Defiance would turn it around on me :p), the Euros on the CoB board wouldn't even explain to me what's wrong with America, I guess because I'm perceived as an ignorant american to them, I don't know.

Just calling a spade a spade. Saying "people" get what they deserve, when the only people getting screwed at large are common people (notice the government is bailing out the fat cats), is a dick thing to do. The last thing I am is mad at you; but notice in bold letters you point out you shouldn't have said "people."

You can say the U.S. and the common Joe deserve getting their shit kicked in all you want. No te estoy regañando. You can say we all deserve to burn in hellfire while getting semen shot all over us. But if you think Americans "ruin" everything, you shouldn't be rejoicing over our economy getting ruined, because we take everyone with us (and we are)!

I don't think US people ruin everything, China and Japan and Costa Rica help too hehe.

I'm not really rejoicing, I never said that, I'm just saying that some are getting what they deserve. And as I said before, it's sad that as usual "the common Joe" is the one that has to pay (if only "Fun with Dick and Jane," the movie with Jim Carrey could happen -you know, stealing the money from the rich guy and stuff-).

I'm not sure what will happen when the US finally falls down, but I read an interesting article saying that not even Japan, China and Europe together could do (in the sense of economy) what the US does. However, I think the article was written by someone from the US :p .

I'm still puzzled as to why the US. gets so much hate from non-US residents(I'd say American but Defiance would turn it around on me :p), the Euros on the CoB board wouldn't even explain to me what's wrong with America, I guess because I'm perceived as an ignorant american to them, I don't know.

Ugh don't even go there (COB forum), I was about 17 when I entered there and was more mature than most of the people that post there. Damn do I hate that forum or what? I don't know if it's still like that, but it was all "fUck you n00b" and stuff like that :rolleyes: . Assholes.

I really cannot tell you why Europeans would hate the US, I think that the opinions are much more diverse than here in Latin-America.

In Latin-America, well basically the US has tried to conquer everything here in one way or another, and well the US has basically fucked a lot of things here.

I am not pro-Cháves, so you know, that guy's an idiot too. Same as Bush, just a different face.

Anyway, take the Somoza dinasty in Nicaragua. Read this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicaragua#United_States_involvement_.281909_-_1933.29

And well more recently there's also CAFTA (Central American Free Trade Agreement), which had a lot of opposition here in CR (unlike in the other countries). It's basically a reason in which CR (Central America I guess) becomes the backyard of the US. Here are some links you might want to check out Derek :) :

http://www.nocafta.org/

Not so good but still interesting I guess:
http://nadir.org/nadir/initiativ/agp/free/cafta/index.html

In Spanish but interesting nevertheless:

http://www.anep.or.cr/leer.php/1531

Rivfadír;7641567 said:
Who the fuck cares about the US? Europe is the new United States anyhow.

I care! :lol:

I can see why there's resentment, and I'm not offended by it. Some of us USA Americans are complete dicks, but most of us are being threatened with going under due to this, do to no fault of our own.

Basically, as I understand it, this is what is happening. (I haven't studies this a lot, so there's probably holes in this):

- Banks, mortgage companies, and the like lent a bunch of money to people to purchase houses that they could barely afford. Housing prices were skyrocketing, and owning a house is considered the 'American Dream', so many people went ahead and took out huge loans to purchase them.

- Some of these loans had Adjustable Rate Mortgages attached to them; for the first couple of years, you'd pay a very low mortgage rate. Then, that rate would skyrocket up. These houses were no longer affordable, so they got foreclosed on. A lot of these houses got foreclosed on.

- Some would say that these people deserved it, and I partially believe that - don't buy something you can't afford, read any contract carefully, etc. However, there were also a lot of unscrupulous banks and mortgage companies out there that sold houses to people, knowing full well that there was no way they could afford them.

- Now that the foreclosures are hitting, banks are having to eat the cost of these houses that they have to now buy back. This is putting serious strain on many of the smaller banks, and some went under.

- Now, some larger banks and investment companies are starting to go under, or get bought out, etc.

- Unemployment is also rising, which is also bad news.

- Also, with Oil shooting up in price, gas rose to (for the USA) horribly expensive levels. And while I don't drive myself, this affects the price of everything else - bus fares are going up, food prices are going up, etc. Because they all get transported around the USA by trucks...which burn gas or diesel.

- And the dollar is now weak against the Euro, so it'd cost a fortune for me to go over there. On the upside, now all the European bands are finally touring over here, because they can suddenly afford it! :lol:

All of this makes it a scary economic time. And, while I have a steady job, I wanted to use my vacation time to do things like visit potential schools, rather than jet to Norway.

But I don't resent the resentment at all. As a country, we are huge dicks to the rest of the world, and now it's payback time. But, everyone in the USA is being dragged down in this. Which is just bad for all involved.

Because, for 8 years now, we've had an illiterate Neanderthal as a President.

I forgot your age, but you'll be 18 by November 4th? Please tell me you're registered to vote.

I care! :lol:

I can see why there's resentment, and I'm not offended by it. Some of us USA Americans are complete dicks, but most of us are being threatened with going under due to this, do to no fault of our own.

Basically, as I understand it, this is what is happening. (I haven't studies this a lot, so there's probably holes in this):

- Banks, mortgage companies, and the like lent a bunch of money to people to purchase houses that they could barely afford. Housing prices were skyrocketing, and owning a house is considered the 'American Dream', so many people went ahead and took out huge loans to purchase them.

- Some of these loans had Adjustable Rate Mortgages attached to them; for the first couple of years, you'd pay a very low mortgage rate. Then, that rate would skyrocket up. These houses were no longer affordable, so they got foreclosed on. A lot of these houses got foreclosed on.

- Some would say that these people deserved it, and I partially believe that - don't buy something you can't afford, read any contract carefully, etc. However, there were also a lot of unscrupulous banks and mortgage companies out there that sold houses to people, knowing full well that there was no way they could afford them.

- Now that the foreclosures are hitting, banks are having to eat the cost of these houses that they have to now buy back. This is putting serious strain on many of the smaller banks, and some went under.

- Now, some larger banks and investment companies are starting to go under, or get bought out, etc.

- Unemployment is also rising, which is also bad news.

- Also, with Oil shooting up in price, gas rose to (for the USA) horribly expensive levels. And while I don't drive myself, this affects the price of everything else - bus fares are going up, food prices are going up, etc. Because they all get transported around the USA by trucks...which burn gas or diesel.

- And the dollar is now weak against the Euro, so it'd cost a fortune for me to go over there. On the upside, now all the European bands are finally touring over here, because they can suddenly afford it! :lol:

All of this makes it a scary economic time. And, while I have a steady job, I wanted to use my vacation time to do things like visit potential schools, rather than jet to Norway.

But I don't resent the resentment at all. As a country, we are huge dicks to the rest of the world, and now it's payback time. But, everyone in the USA is being dragged down in this. Which is just bad for all involved.

US Americans, I like that :) .

Anyhow, I agree with what you said, but you're missing a key point: War on terror! (my ass).

All this is obviously the government's fault, but it's all because of war. War, war war. Too much money has been invested, far more than what was required. The US got there (Iraq? Oh I thought it was Afghanistan. Oh well, lets put a law that lets us tap into phone conversations as we want anyhow, we have to look for the terrorists n.- ), and even though it started ok, after a few months everything was out of control because you couldn't handle the situation.

And I'm truly amazed that people still support that war, you just broke the record for deaths per year (which, according to one of my "US Americans" classmates, is not that much), got hit by Katrina (but who cares about black people over there anyhow?) and could do nothing because all of the helicopters were/are in Iraq, the economy going down to the pits, and there are still people that support the war. And McCain.

And with that, it was just like we were talking here in my house. Usoninans would rather vote for yet another Republican period, than to vote for a black guy. I always knew Hillary had to win, I was happy as long as a Democrat won (in the end it's the same shit but of different party, yet I believe Obama would be the "lesser evil"), but now I'm not so sure if that will happen.

Again, how can people in the US vote for another Republican period?!?

Well, my classmate (who's a Conservative), says that he doesn't trust Obama and that he is not very experienced, amongst other things that I don't remember now.

But still, why have 4 more years of Bush in the White-House?

My dad bought a "I support Obama" shirt (made by "American" unions") when he was in the States, but I don't know if that'll help much :p .

Rivfadír;7643374 said:
New economic and political super-power. We're half-way there. If only all these retards living here would just accept it and join it all the way.

Which "retards" do you mean?

And I have to disagree, Europe has also suffered because of the recession of the US.

Europe is already an economical and political super-power, it has always been! The thing is that the US is more powerful nowadays (weaker, but still), but c'mon you have France, Germany and England!

And if there's a new "superpower" to rise, it'll be China. Their economy is cooling down, but it is still growing more than the US.

Defiance said:
if there's a new "superpower" to rise, it'll be China
I bet they ain't gonna be a superpower within the next 100 years. too much contrasts in China, can't be fixed within any of our lifetimes.
they're being highly over-estimated, even feared by some.

The war on terror is only a fantasy because the Bush administration doesn't know Saddam from Bin Laden. But with the Iraq mess starting to take its own life, the US is gravitating more towards Pakistan and Afghanistan, which are the epicenter of militant Islam worldwide (and Pakistan specifically of the two).

9/11, no matter how you cut it, was a terrorist attack aimed at murdering civilians not to avenge any particular wrong done by the United States; the people who did it were mostly from countries oppressed by their own governments, most which the USA didn't put in power but essentially has to keep friendly terms with to keep energy supplies worldwide stable. I was against the Iraq War in the strongest terms, but hey, some militants trained in Afghan camps with Pakistani and Saudi financial backing murdered 3,000 people in the middle of New York City. I say that's cause for war. Just... Saddam Hussein had nothing to do with it, but here we are, in Iraq.

I'm just glad that fucking monkey only has four more months in office.

I bet they ain't gonna be a superpower within the next 100 years. too much contrasts in China, can't be fixed within any of our lifetimes.
they're being highly over-estimated, even feared by some.

I agree, but I don't think Europe will become a super-power either. Unless France, Germany and England become one country (Frangleland? :p ), that won't happen.

The war on terror is only a fantasy because the Bush administration doesn't know Saddam from Bin Laden. But with the Iraq mess starting to take its own life, the US is gravitating more towards Pakistan and Afghanistan, which are the epicenter of militant Islam worldwide (and Pakistan specifically of the two).

9/11, no matter how you cut it, was a terrorist attack aimed at murdering civilians not to avenge any particular wrong done by the United States; the people who did it were mostly from countries oppressed by their own governments, most which the USA didn't put in power but essentially has to keep friendly terms with to keep energy supplies worldwide stable. I was against the Iraq War in the strongest terms, but hey, some militants trained in Afghan camps with Pakistani and Saudi financial backing murdered 3,000 people in the middle of New York City. I say that's cause for war. Just... Saddam Hussein had nothing to do with it, but here we are, in Iraq.

I'm just glad that fucking monkey only has four more months in office.

But it's still amazing how much your government has taken out of it (e.g.: Tapping phone lines as they want). Still, I'm pretty sure the US itself was highly involved in those attacks.

There was only one plane that left the country that day, and coincidentally it had the Bin Laden family on it.

The towers fell vertically, which shouldn't have happened because, uhm, planes hit them! Try it out with Legos, and you'll see that the towers shouldn't have fell entirely, but more like that the top should have fell to the side, not the whole tower(s) in a vertical way. And yet again, you can see a series of explosions coming out from the towers when they started to fall down.

But still, 3000 people is nothing compared to the atrocities the US has done.

Uhmmm Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Nicaragua?

Vietnam?

Despite that, people make an awful deal of 9/11. Believe me, I understand you, but some lives are more important than others.

And yeah, 4 months until the monkey goes. Smart lad, I hope you can go and retire happy with all your billions (trillions?). But please, do retire will you?

Everyone says Bush is a monkey, a neanderthal, an idiot, a killer, etc., and yet there are still people that will vote for the same political party as he was.

Amazing huh?

And McCain is trying to delay the debate, stupid move if I may say so. Keep it that way :) .

Obama: "CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE!!!"
McCain: "I'M A WAR HERO I'M A WAR HERO I'M A WAR HERO!!!"

Don't see much in either of them, other than that.

Besides, whatever they say they want to do practically does not matter because it is Congress that calls most of the shots. And they're all old... pretty much the same people in office there, and they don't like new ideas...

Besides, whatever they say they want to do practically does not matter because it is Congress that calls most of the shots. And they're all old... pretty much the same people in office there, and they don't like new ideas...

+1.

US Americans, I like that :) .

Anyhow, I agree with what you said, but you're missing a key point: War on terror! (my ass).

I didn't mention the war because that's another whole essay. But yes - it sucks.

And, if it helps, Obama is ahead in nearly all the national polls.

Damn that certainly sucks :p , kill em' all!

I didn't mention the war because that's another whole essay. But yes - it sucks.

Well we can't real trust the polls (nor the elections) anyhow hehe.

But still, 3000 people is nothing compared to the atrocities the US has done.

Uhmmm Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Nicaragua?

Vietnam?

Despite that, people make an awful deal of 9/11. Believe me, I understand you, but some lives are more important than others.

Every murder is murder. Hiroshima has nothing to do with 9/11, and both are atrocities. Murder of civilians by one government does not justify or make more understandable or reasonable the murder of civilians by others. All lives are of equal value. Linking mass murder done for particular reasons to another mass murder done for particular, unrelated reasons for your *own* political reasons, especially when you take them out of context, is sanctioning mass murder. This is the same logic that allows Russian politicians to say, "well, in the 12th century, Georgians murdered and raped South Ossetians, so our intervention was justified." If you are outraged by some murders but not others, then you're admitting that not all lives are equal, that the actions of political leaders makes the murder of their people, regardless of whether they support them or not, justifiable.

I don't mean to be so dour, but from my view it's retarded to ever wish any sort of wrong on people because of their politicians.

He's ahead in all of them now, and he's overall ahead in the swing states. It might be a landslide in his favor by election day. McCain isn't doing so hot.

He's ahead in all of them now, and he's overall ahead in the swing states. It might be a landslide in his favor by election day. McCain isn't doing so hot.

Funny - who thought that suspending his campaign and wanting to postpone/skip a debate would reflect badly on McCain?!

He's sinking like an anchor. :lol:

Every murder is murder. Hiroshima has nothing to do with 9/11, and both are atrocities. Murder of civilians by one government does not justify or make more understandable or reasonable the murder of civilians by others. All lives are of equal value. Linking mass murder done for particular reasons to another mass murder done for particular, unrelated reasons for your *own* political reasons, especially when you take them out of context, is sanctioning mass murder. This is the same logic that allows Russian politicians to say, "well, in the 12th century, Georgians murdered and raped South Ossetians, so our intervention was justified." If you are outraged by some murders but not others, then you're admitting that not all lives are equal, that the actions of political leaders makes the murder of their people, regardless of whether they support them or not, justifiable.

I don't mean to be so dour, but from my view it's retarded to ever wish any sort of wrong on people because of their politicians.

Every murder is not a murder, and some lives are more "valuable" than others. This is certainly not my perspective, but the international one. If so, why the big deal with 9/11? Not many people died to be honest. More died in Nicaragua because of the US. More have died and still die in Iraq because of the US. A lot of people died with the tsunami in Thailand. Thousands die every day in Africa because of AIDS, hunger and war. Yet 9/11 gets so much more coverage. Why? Because the life of a person in the US is more valuable than one in Africa.

It's harsh, but that's the true. If every murder were the same, we'd live in a very different society.

And well I don't think Obama will win by a landslide, far from it. I'm not even sure if he'll win, but I sure hope so.

The debate is still on today, I'll be at the Uni when it's on so I'll miss it :erk: .

So post any relevant moments here please :p .