When the oceans rise - General Chat Thread

I think the Mexicans may be offended because I'm a white person trying to speak their language and if I don't do it right they may think I'm making fun of them.

"White person" sounds a bit elitist but yeah I've got to agree they may see it that way.
However, I don't think that should stop you from learning/practising Spanish. It's a great tongue, the 2nd one most used in the world next to English (many people don't know this actually), and a really lovely one :) .

If you feel that they're looking bad at you or something, just say: "Quiero practicar mi Español" (I want to practise my Spanish) and then smile :) . I see no reason why they should be offended, unless they're extremists and/or hate the US.

I would be (and am) honored that you're trying to learn Spanish, if you have any questions feel free to send me a PM :) .

Question: Are those Mexicans caucasian or with brown-skin?

Again, the thing is that people from the US think they are the entire continent, not to say the entire world. You go and tell me what you said before when "gringos" come here to CR and think they are in Mexico or Puerto Rico. Or even worse, when they think they haven't left the US. You go and tell me that again when you live in a US-dependent economy like CR. Also add that CR, unlike the rest of Central-America, has been very lucky concerning development (we're still 3rd world, but doing much better than the other Central-American countries). Go ask a Nicaraguan what they think about the "gringos," and then you'll see what bashing yankees is all about :rolleyes: :lol: .

I don't think it's really a good idea to generalize about people based on their tourists. I've seen these exact comments from French people about German tourists, Chinese about Japanese tourists, and so on... tourists are just dumb. And at least American ones tip!

And it IS a slur to call Americans gringos. It's not endearing, it's derogatory. I'm not complaining about anyone using it, but it is what it is. People confuse me for American enough where I get shitty treatment and then the "HAHA I thought you were a gringo!", with the usual 10 second glare from me in response. I understand where the resentment towards the U.S. comes from, but you don't rectify Bush's foreign policy by assuming all Americans are ignorant. I mean, what should we assume of Russians and Chinese people then? I'd rather assume the people I encounter are potentially good, regardless of their government, than to complain to every Russian person that I encounter that Putin is a murderer and why haven't they voted him out of office.

"White person" sounds a bit elitist but yeah I've got to agree they may see it that way.
However, I don't think that should stop you from learning/practising Spanish. It's a great tongue, the 2nd one most used in the world next to English (many people don't know this actually), and a really lovely one :) .

If you feel that they're looking bad at you or something, just say: "Quiero practicar mi Español" (I want to practise my Spanish) and then smile :) . I see no reason why they should be offended, unless they're extremists and/or hate the US.

I would be (and am) honored that you're trying to learn Spanish, if you have any questions feel free to send me a PM :) .

Question: Are those Mexicans caucasian or with brown-skin?
I didn't know I was sounding elititst by referring to myself as a white person.:erk: Yes, I want to learn to speak the language fluently, I'm about to take an Intermediate Spanish class and I've taken 2 years of it in high school and 2 semesters in college. I'm in my way it seems though I'm not sure how long it'll take until I'm fluently in it.
It's the brown skinned Mexicans usually.

Interesting discussion :)
us_world2.gif

A very accurate depiction of what Americans think of Australia, congratulations :)

I don't think it's really a good idea to generalize about people based on their tourists. I've seen these exact comments from French people about German tourists, Chinese about Japanese tourists, and so on... tourists are just dumb. And at least American ones tip!

And it IS a slur to call Americans gringos. It's not endearing, it's derogatory. I'm not complaining about anyone using it, but it is what it is. People confuse me for American enough where I get shitty treatment and then the "HAHA I thought you were a gringo!", with the usual 10 second glare from me in response. I understand where the resentment towards the U.S. comes from, but you don't rectify Bush's foreign policy by assuming all Americans are ignorant. I mean, what should we assume of Russians and Chinese people then? I'd rather assume the people I encounter are potentially good, regardless of their government, than to complain to every Russian person that I encounter that Putin is a murderer and why haven't they voted him out of office.

As I said before, I'm not saying that all Usonians are ignorants. Chinese are no good too, killing pandas and all *mad*. I refer mostly to the US because it's the country that has the most influence on my country even though I don't really want that.

Of course, I can start saying that all governments suck, but then we'd go onto politics and well, let's focus on the US for now :p .

Alright, I guess that I'm so used to hearing the word "gringos" around here that it doesn't sound derogatory anymore. I'll try to use it only when I want to mock them then :p :lol: .

I didn't know I was sounding elititst by referring to myself as a white person.:erk: Yes, I want to learn to speak the language fluently, I'm about to take an Intermediate Spanish class and I've taken 2 years of it in high school and 2 semesters in college. I'm in my way it seems though I'm not sure how long it'll take until I'm fluently in it.
It's the brown skinned Mexicans usually.

Well if you ever need to practise or just have a question feel free to send me a PM and I can give you my e-mail address. I have to admit (brag?) that I've good knowledge of Spanish, most people here can't speak it in the correct way, and that makes me really mad. e.g., they miss really important or basic things such as the double exclamation/question signs (¡!, ¿?). This happens mostly because CR is a very "Americanized" country and because of English being a global language.

A very accurate depiction of what Americans think of Australia, congratulations :)

Hehe well I didn't do it, but thanks :p . It's funny because I think that people know where Australia is (I do), but ask them about New Zealand, and they go like "What is a New Zealand"? :lol:

^ Well you certainly have a lot more chance than me or lordcthulhu :rolleyes: .

You never know dude, it seems the Norsk svart metall bands are touring Central and South America these days (I don't know if they visit Costa Rica though). Nattefrost and Gaahl have both said in interviews that these places were a tour highlight.

EDIT: hehe I'm not suggesting Borknagar is Norsk svart metall!

^What is Norsk Svart Metal?
I feel like a goof asking, :lol:
And at Defiance: Yes, I'd like to practice Spanish with you, PM me your email please. :)

You never know dude, it seems the Norsk svart metall bands are touring Central and South America these days (I don't know if they visit Costa Rica though). Nattefrost and Gaahl have both said in interviews that these places were a tour highlight.

EDIT: hehe I'm not suggesting Borknagar is Norsk svart metall!

Once upon a time there was a thriving Metal scene in Costa Rica. Then, a producer (and good friend of mine) decided to bring DIO. The assistance was basically none (ca.200 people, me included), which meant a total loss for him. He was one of the biggest producers. Not anymore. Then Subterranean decided to bring Mystic Circle. It sold so little tickets that they had to change the venue because they couldn't afford another one. That was in October 2006, there have been no concerts from them either. Deicide was going to come, but a priest (who's a deputy too) went all nuts and cancelled the concert. They were going to bring him back, back Benton is an arrogant prick and decided that he didn't want to come anymore.

Oh Iron Maiden was here this year. I had already seen them, but well the concert went horrible for me (girl passed out, couldn't find her, thought she was dead, etc. etc.). But Maiden was in February. There haven't been any concerts besides that. Oh, my favourite band (along with The Gathering) Dark Tranquillity went to Colombia. But no, they didn't come here.

So by Latin-America it's Mexico, El Salvador, Colombia, Chile, etc., but NO Costa Rica :yell::bah: .

^What is Norsk Svart Metal?
I feel like a goof asking, :lol:
And at Defiance: Yes, I'd like to practice Spanish with you, PM me your email please. :)

Why feel like a goof? Not everybody knows Norwegian or is a linguist. Still, it's pretty evident :p . It means "Norwegian Black Metal" :) . Just PM'ed ye :) .

yay for learning! But really, I would like to learn Norwegian...

Then I have to recommend you this book:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Yourself-Norwegian-Complete-CoursePackage-Language/dp/0071451137/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217188731&sr=8-2[/ame]

It's the one I bought to learn Norwegian, and it's so good that even though I didn't go past unit 01 (because of the Uni), I still remember a lot of things :) . Knowing German before-hand certainly helped a lot (lots of similarities), but the book is really good. If you really want to learn Norwegian, buy this. Oh and you can read my review there, look for "Daniel."

@ Pancreator: Thank you, thank you, thank youk you for such an awesome video! :lol: :kickass:

FAEN!!!

Could somebody write the long curse of "fucking damn cunt ass-hole shit bowl" please? :)

It'll be a swedish album this time around also...It's kind of a concept album but with very vast frame..so it's not like a singel story with one particular ending, more like several themes that come together and co-operate to build a "universal" ending. We've not focused on Borknagar for some months now..mr Brun and mr V have focused on Cronian and the other guys have also done other stuff. But now we'll pay full attention to the new Borknagar album. And we need full attention and not just slacking around a write some part now and then...so beware!!! we're creating a "monster" :)
mr V

Wahoo! :headbang: