Which bands are you going to see live?

Mm...two Marillion fans could drink our blood by now. Last friday we went to Zoetermeer for a sold-out show. It seemed like they tried to fit 900 people into a venue that holds only 700, and that all 900 have been there since the afternoon (it started at 9 PM, doors open at 8 PM. We arrived at 8 PM sharp) ... cars were coming back from the parking spaces because there was no more room. I've been to multiple sold-out shows in Zoetermeer, but never have I seen something like this. We decided to skip the show and made a 360 back to home.

The next day (8 December) we went to Weert to see Deadsoul Tribe, Kyrbgrinder and The Old Dead Tree (not Timefall, as announced earlier). Unfortunately, upon arrival, a notice said Kyrbgrinder was cancelled due to illness. :erk: The Old Dead Tree was first and although they're good musicians, their music doesn't do much for me. Deadsoul Tribe, however, was absolutely awesome. Beautiful voice and a stage animal, Devon Graves is. The rest of the band was in good shape also as they played material from all their 5 albums. They filmed it for a future "Deadsoul Tribe movie", too. :oops:

An evening well-spent. Next up...well...Christmas and New Year.

Mm...two Marillion fans could drink our blood by now. Last friday we went to Zoetermeer for a sold-out show. It seemed like they tried to fit 900 people into a venue that holds only 700, and that all 900 have been there since the afternoon (it started at 9 PM, doors open at 8 PM. We arrived at 8 PM sharp) ... cars were coming back from the parking spaces because there was no more room. I've been to multiple sold-out shows in Zoetermeer, but never have I seen something like this. We decided to skip the show and made a 360 back to home.

You didn't mean me now... did you? :p Too bad the night ended up like that for you guys. :erk: Any idea of how the gig went?

The next day (8 December) we went to Weert to see Deadsoul Tribe, Kyrbgrinder and The Old Dead Tree (not Timefall, as announced earlier). Unfortunately, upon arrival, a notice said Kyrbgrinder was cancelled due to illness. :erk: The Old Dead Tree was first and although they're good musicians, their music doesn't do much for me. Deadsoul Tribe, however, was absolutely awesome. Beautiful voice and a stage animal, Devon Graves is. The rest of the band was in good shape also as they played material from all their 5 albums. They filmed it for a future "Deadsoul Tribe movie", too. :oops:

Great to hear the Deadsoul Tribe show kinda made up for the Marillion one being so badly organized... (I don't think the band's to blame, honestly). Too bad about Kyrbgrinder canceling as well.

As promised here's the Vanden Plas videos... Fish ones to follow as soon as I can compress them and upload them on YouTube. The Fish gig was HUGE btw... :p

Silently

How Many Tears

Rainmaker

UPDATE: Guys, any of you who usually visit the Vanden Plas forum may have noticed I made a sort of an agreement with Stephan Lill about posting the Vanden Plas videos I shot during their show here in Portugal, on youtube. Since Stephan mentioned some concern about how bad videos could possibly harm the band's image and reputation (we all know that some times happens...), disappointing potential new fans, the deal was I'd remove any videos the band wasn't confortable with. As a result the 'Free the fire' and 'I can see' videos were removed from youtube, since the band experienced some technical problems. For those who wanted to see them and didn't have a chance to (FG, LoT, Madrigal, Sikarra did you?), PM me and we'll find a way. ;)
Stephan ok'ed the other three, so I'm keeping those

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't mean me now... did you? :p Too bad the night ended up like that for you guys. :erk: Any idea of how the gig went?

Not unless you're Dutch or planning to go to the Zoetermeer gig. Hm? No, I have no idea how it went. I have yet to read any reviews on it...that said, reviews aren't everything. The sites I (used to) visit for progreviews are kind of... well, they badmouth every band they visit, no matter how good the show actually was. :rolleyes: "Flower Kings? Sucks. Riverside? Sucks. Blind Ego & Sylvan? Sucks. Pendragon? Sucks." Makes you wonder why they bother going.

Great to hear the Deadsoul Tribe show kinda made up for the Marillion one being so badly organized... (I don't think the band's to blame, honestly). Too bad about Kyrbgrinder canceling as well.

Yeah, I would've liked to see Kyrbgrinder...more than The Old Dead Tree, to be honest. And no, I don't think the band had any say in the matter of the tickets. Such things happen sometimes, unfortunately. :erk:

Next up...well...next year. Sounds far away, doesn't it? Kayak & Plackband. An old Dutch prog/pop group and the band we're friends with. =) ...and the day afterwards, Asrai...Dutch gothic rock/metal.

Thanks for the videos Nell!

Wow, that concerns me because i took a few videos of some songs and put them on youtube. It's the only way i have to see them besides the cellphone (i could convert the .3gp files, but the end result is horrible). But, of course, and as usual, my videos are of bad quality. Maybe i should ask the band then if they wanted them removed....

Thanks for the videos Nell!

Wow, that concerns me because i took a few videos of some songs and put them on youtube. It's the only way i have to see them besides the cellphone (i could convert the .3gp files, but the end result is horrible). But, of course, and as usual, my videos are of bad quality. Maybe i should ask the band then if they wanted them removed....

You're most welcome. :) Nice seeing you last week, btw! Suddenly Lisbon felt like a small, tiny village. :)

About the Vanden Plas videos... I got registered at their forum so I could post/share the videos there as well; when I mentioned I had shot some videos, Stephan expressed his concern about Vanden Plas videos on youtube and lack of quality that could damage the band's image/reputation (understandably IMHO). That's when thought it would be best to reach a compromise and let the band (or in this case, Stephan) decide. I feel more confortable this way, but when we come to think about it... people are gonna go on posting bad quality videos anyway, if not me or you, someone else. Ok, this ain't no excuse but it sure makes me wonder...

I think bands' fear of poor quality of youtube videos is unjustified. Everybody knows that these videos were shot by fans in poor conditions without professional equipment. And I also think that everybody knows that the bands sound way lot better live than in those fan shot videos. When I look at the VP videos, I don't go..."Oh my God, the sound and video is really bad. That band sucks!". However, it does give me a glimpse of what the night was like.

Oh and by the way, thanks for shooting the videos, Nell.

But surely you can see where they are coming from? They've spent hours, days, weeks crafting their masterpiece only to see it presented in a substandard way.

I've seen Nellinhas Threshold stuff and it is great but not all fan recordings are. The other posters aren't capable of censoring themselves.

However - you will not stop people posting.

Perhaps VP (as they were contacted first anyway) could have done the courtesy of watching the vids themselves before just making a sweeping judgement.

Maybe this is a measure of true success - you are a big band when you don't care what gets posted about you!

I can see where VP are coming from but I also understand FG's point (you're most welcome btw ;)).

BDTM, Stephan did take a look at the videos before asking me to remove a couple of them, otherwise I suppose he would have asked me to remove all of them. (check the 'Update' part at the end of the videos post).

Besides, the videos were removed not due to lack of 'quality' (although I have to compress them, sometimes losing 50% of its original quality, so I can upload them on youtube, which is always ungrateful) in comparison to other videos online, but due to technical problems VP experienced during those two songs. I recall the guitar couldn't be heard at the start of the 'Free the fire' solo part... and 'I can see' didn't start all that well either, sound-wise.

Still, 3 out of 5 videos remain online though for everyone to enjoy. :headbang:

My offer stands however to anyone who hasn't seen the 'Free the fire' and 'I can see' videos and wants to. ;)

Rather small indeed Nellinha. Even smaller because whn i was going down the escalators i noticed that men with the MArillion T-shirt and i remembered about the gig, the second after i remembered about you, because you were going, and the second after there you were! :lol: If i only had this hindsight to with the lottery! :lol:

I also registered there, maybe i'll ask them if they want me to remove the videos, i dunno. Anyway i still couldn't find the time to do it.

I understand why they asked that but i'm with FG in this one. Most of the videos on YouTube are of poor quality, some worse than others. People who watch them should know that and not make any judgements based on that. For me, it's just a little souvenir of the night.

But i wouldn't say no if any of the bands i (poorly) shot asked me to remove the videos.

Rather small indeed Nellinha. Even smaller because whn i was going down the escalators i noticed that men with the MArillion T-shirt and i remembered about the gig, the second after i remembered about you, because you were going, and the second after there you were! :lol: If i only had this hindsight to with the lottery! :lol:

:oops: For a second there I was like 'I know this guy' and then I recalled where from! Ufff! :p :lol: I'm so bad remembering faces! :oops:
You missed one hell of a gig! I'm still trying to compress the videos... 34 min. worth of footage. :D

I also registered there, maybe i'll ask them if they want me to remove the videos, i dunno. Anyway i still couldn't find the time to do it.

I understand why they asked that but i'm with FG in this one. Most of the videos on YouTube are of poor quality, some worse than others. People who watch them should know that and not make any judgements based on that. For me, it's just a little souvenir of the night.

But i wouldn't say no if any of the bands i (poorly) shot asked me to remove the videos.

Well I had already registered and mentioned I had some videos I'd upload, so it didn't feel right not to offer VP a choice. I don't think it would have mattered to anyone if both videos remained online, except the band that is... And like I mentioned before, the problem wasn't the video, but the way the band's performance was damaged by technical problems. ;)

Saw them on Monday in Paris. They were really great. They only played recent stuff from In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet and Nil Recurring.

So them yesterday here in Helsinki. They also played a couple songs from Signify (Waiting & Dark Matter), 1 one Lightbulb Sun (Hatesong) and 1 from Stupid Dream (Smart Kid). Great show!

Riverside tonight in Helmond,tomorrow in Hellendoorn and sunday in Verviers (Bel)

Life can be fun !! :headbang:

You like Riverside then? ;)

He's got to be the biggest Riverside groupie out there.

Maybe,I follow them for almost 3 years now,been a few times in Warsaw to see them playing in their hometown

I had a great time with the last 4 shows of them,last night in Verviers we all went to the hotel and had a little drink in 1 of the rooms :kickass:,we always do that when I'm in the same hotel.
Extremely nice guys and good musicians :cool:

Maybe,I follow them for almost 3 years now,been a few times in Warsaw to see them playing in their hometown

I had a great time with the last 4 shows of them,last night in Verviers we all went to the hotel and had a little drink in 1 of the rooms :kickass:,we always do that when I'm in the same hotel.
Extremely nice guys and good musicians :cool:

Yeah. That qualifies as being (one of the) biggest Riverside groupies.

On another note...apparently I'm going to see a band called Bryan's Hope in the town of Ridderkerk this coming friday. A co-worker of my dad's is the band's bassist and it's going to be their first live performance. My dad promised to take pictures, so I'm accompanying him.

http://www.bryanshope.nl