Which Reviews on Royal Carnage do you dispute?

Gotta say i disagree with Dark One's review of Fear Of The Dark.. but only slightly.

Fear Is The Key, boring?

I dig when he sings "bodies aflame..." and that riff, pretty damn cool.
"Wasting Love" isn't that bad...

And 'gugs already knows I'll have a bone to pick about that comment at the end of his BNW review...

And dude, clean your ears out and listen to The Nomad again. Better yet, smoke a fucking bowl and lose yourself in the repetition, especially the riff at the end.

Well, whether you agree with my opinions on Jannick or not, I feel my BNW review was spot-on. Sorry, "The Nomad" just isn't a great song. Not coming from Maiden, it's not.

And before you go disagreeing...X Factor an 8/10? :eek:

Interestingly enough, I've read debates on the other forums about our Maiden feature, and the two reviews being talked about are The X Factor ("scoring was too high"), and Fear of the Dark ("scoring was too low"). Or something to that effect.

Brilliant. It's stirring minds. We have people reading our stuff and debating it. Maiden fans rule.

JayKeeley said:
Interestingly enough, I've read debates on the other forums about our Maiden feature, and the two reviews being talked about are The X Factor ("scoring was too high"), and Fear of the Dark ("scoring was too low"). Or something to that effect.

Brilliant. It's stirring minds. We have people reading our stuff and debating it. Maiden fans rule.

:Smug:

I stand by my rating. Most of those saying it's too high can't put Bayley in perspective. But that's ok, everyone is entitled to their opinions. As long as people are talking, we've done our job.

Papa Josh said:
Gotta say i disagree with Dark One's review of Fear Of The Dark.. but only slightly.

Fear Is The Key, boring?

I dig when he sings "bodies aflame..." and that riff, pretty damn cool.
"Wasting Love" isn't that bad...

And 'gugs already knows I'll have a bone to pick about that comment at the end of his BNW review...

And dude, clean your ears out and listen to The Nomad again. Better yet, smoke a fucking bowl and lose yourself in the repetition, especially the riff at the end.

Heh, cool man no problem, but as you stand by your X Factor rating, I stand by my rating as well of course. To these ears the songs from Fear of the Dark you mentioned out and out suck and just do not contain anything exciting, memorable or innovative (I'll take any of those three qualities). They are out and out devoid of any creativity and just seem like poster songs for a "just going through the motions" type mentality.

To be honest though, given the time at which the album was written, I can't say I would've have had the same type of mindframe. I mean, it's tough when you're on top for so long to have to accept the fact that not as many people are listening to you anymore. That coupled with the fact that they certainly had nothing to prove (at least at that point in time) and you have a recipe for a disjointed, non-memorable album. 2 Classics, 3 good songs and 7 throw aways = 5.5 to me.

BTW, I totally agree with your assessment of Nomad. Flat out killer tune. Mark needs to take those Martian looking earplugs out when he's not at concerts. :D

I've gotta say (and I know millions will oppose this and flame broil me like a BK chicken burger), but Evergrey 'Recreation Day'....bleh!

Perhaps it's because I can't get the image of Bob Seger out of my head each time I hear Tom Englund sing now, but his vocal range is way too restricted. How about changing an octave here or there? Every note, every sentence, every song - he sings it all in the same octave, range, and key! A bit monotonous, no?

I think this is, by far, my least favorite Evergrey album (with Solitude...being my #1).

Alright I'll jump in with this since it got bumped on the website this week... Morningrise is the only Opeth album I don't like, it is just so sterile!!! It was my first Opeth CD and it was hard for me to even buy another one of their albums afterwards. Thankfully I heard great things about Blackwater Park and picked that one up, quickly scooping up their other releases afterwards.

The rhythm section on that first period of Opeth just completely pales in comparison to the two Martins, as far as I'm concerned one of the best rhythm sections since Double Trouble (Stevie Ray Vaughn). The first two dudes weren't bad, but they were just flashy for the sake of being flashy.

However, Dark One's review is pretty damn good, and makes me want to give the album another chance. I just don't think it will take with me! :)

I love Morningrise. "Nectar" was the first Opeth song I ever heard, blew me away. The rhythm section was flashy, but being a drummer myself, they were very fluid. Opeth has NEVER been lacking in that department, at least, not in my opinion. I also love "Advent," one of their best songs. That album is classic.

I have to say though, that the review I'm having a hard time swallowing right now is Amorphis "Elegy". Good album, but a perfect 10?

In fact, quite a few got perfect 10's this weekend. Alright, how much money did you get? :Smug:

I wanna go through and see just how many 10's each of us has given and to what. :cool:

I know I've only given 2 thus far. But that doesn't mean that there aren't quite a few I'd like to see receive it.

Papa Josh said:
I have to say though, that the review I'm having a hard time swallowing right now is Amorphis "Elegy". Good album, but a perfect 10?

Yep - Thousand Lakes and Tuonela are damn fine too, making Amorphis probably one of the best bands out there. Haven't heard the new one though. Either way, I chose to do Elegy just because I couldn't wait to give it a 10. I knew the score even before putting pen to paper.

In fact, quite a few got perfect 10's this weekend. Alright, how much money did you get? :Smug:

eh? :confused:

I wanna go through and see just how many 10's each of us has given and to what. :cool:

I can tell you mine:

Empyrium - Weiland
Emperor - Nightside Eclipse
Eucharist - Velvet Creation
Amorphis - Elegy

The last three I reviewed together just because I wanted to review some of my faves - especially after having reviewed a whole bunch of semi-average releases.

It was reasonably therapeutic I'll admit. :)

By the way, here are our 10/10's:

Reviews:
Amorphis - Elegy - JK
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours - Erik
Cradle of Filth - Damnation and a Day - PJ
Jerry Cantrell - Degradation Trip - NAD
Dark Fortress - Profane Genocidal Creations - MG
Dark Tranquility - Damage Done - MG
Dark Tranquility - The Gallery - MG
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger - Erik
Domine - Dragonlord - MG
Emperor - Nightside Eclipse - JK
Empyrium - Weiland - JK
Eucharist - Velvet Creaion - JK
Exhumed - Anatomy is Destiny - PJ
Gamma Ray - Powerplant - MG
Helheim - Jormundgand - Erik
Morbid Angel - Domination - NAD
Opeth - Morningrise - Dark One
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia - Smothered Hope
Sentenced - Crimson - MG
Spock's Beard - Snow - Smothered Hope

Feature:
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden - JK
Iron Maiden - Powerslave - MG
Iron Maiden - Live After Death - JK
Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time - PJ
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - Chief B

There are a bunch of 9.9's or 9.75's all over too, like Satyricon or Piece of Mind....

Don't think I missed any more 10/10's....

I only have about 15 perfect 10s in my collection, and half of those aren't really Royal Carnage material. :)

In light of recent developments and an intense soul searching experience, I have decided that I disagree with ALL Royal Carnage reviews, including my own, because none of them are completely objective and wholly unbiased. Surely nobody downloaded all the tabs *shudder* to view them and make coherent sense out of them, analyzing the music contained on a robotic basis (the more notes and chords, the better) which is how everything should be done in this most perfect and sterile of worlds.

Forgive me, I'm bored at work today. :D

Yeah, that was a funny thread. Now, back on subject.

I completely disagree with JayKeeley's assessment of the latest Soilwork cd, which he just sent me. This being the first time for me to hear anything from Figure Number Five, aside from Rejection Role, I have to say I hear a lot of melody and some really good songs. I really like Overload and I also like Departure Plan a lot.

Man... you were really harsh on this cd...