Which year did you start listening to Peth?

Which year did you start listening to Opeth?

• Pre-1994

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 0.9%

Votes: 3 1.3%

Votes: 5 2.2%

Votes: 4 1.8%

Votes: 4 1.8%

Votes: 16 7.0%

Votes: 13 5.7%

Votes: 26 11.4%

Votes: 23 10.1%

Votes: 22 9.6%

Votes: 21 9.2%

Votes: 38 16.7%

Votes: 23 10.1%

Votes: 20 8.8%

Votes: 8 3.5%

• Total voters
That was when I first heard Morningrise in '96. A the same time that I started hearing Moonspell and The Gathering

I started listening to Opeth september 23rd 2004. It was my birthday, and a friend of mine downloaded some music for my new MP3 player..
First song I heard was DOTF.. So MAYH was my first Opeth album..

2005. The Grand Conjuration. Loved it back then. Then I bought Ghost Reveries, and after a while I bought Damnation. Now I got all of them.

Cool. How did you react when MAYH first came out? I remember being disappointed about the change in style and stopped listening for a while, but came back to it again later and got hooked on the new style as well.

It's funny you ask that! I rambled on about how my initial reactions to new Opeth albums can be, on a different thread a few weeks back. And MAYH- IS my favorite. I talked about how I ran to our local metal store(ACES records) in Tampa, yes an actual metal store, and got it the day it came out. Anyway, upon hearing it (in '98), I thought...hmmmm, wow....um well....it's definitely heavier...the new guy, (Lopez) I think is trying to prove something. I don't know....it seems to be less of a 70's prog feel to it, sounds even more Morbid Angel-ish. And just like I did when I first got Morningrise, and thought at first I missed the more heavy use of harmony guitars found on Orchid, I only listened to it that first week, maybe 2-3 times, thinking...not as good as their previous work. But as usual, I found myself humming melodies, and murmuring the words from Amen Corner, and Karma. And as usual, after listening again, noticing how memorable the solos are, and hearing the detail of Lopez's cymbal work. That was it....I still to this day, listen to this album at least once a week, maybe once every 2 weeks. When a band is this multifaceted, it makes for albums that can reveal many things within the music, listen after listen. Mikael and Opeth know how to display their influences, but tie it together with their own original style, without totally getting trapped, or painted into a corner of self indulgence. So, I did the same as you did Stilgar...funny isn't it? After MAYH, I knew Opeth were always going to make me wonder-"what direction are they going to go next?"

It's funny you ask that! I rambled on about how my initial reactions to new Opeth albums can be, on a different thread a few weeks back. And MAYH- IS my favorite. I talked about how I ran to our local metal store(ACES records) in Tampa, yes an actual metal store, and got it the day it came out. Anyway, upon hearing it (in '98), I thought...hmmmm, wow....um well....it's definitely heavier...the new guy, (Lopez) I think is trying to prove something. I don't know....it seems to be less of a 70's prog feel to it, sounds even more Morbid Angel-ish. And just like I did when I first got Morningrise, and thought at first I missed the more heavy use of harmony guitars found on Orchid, I only listened to it that first week, maybe 2-3 times, thinking...not as good as their previous work. But as usual, I found myself humming melodies, and murmuring the words from Amen Corner, and Karma. And as usual, after listening again, noticing how memorable the solos are, and hearing the detail of Lopez's cymbal work. That was it....I still to this day, listen to this album at least once a week, maybe once every 2 weeks. When a band is this multifaceted, it makes for albums that can reveal many things within the music, listen after listen. Mikael and Opeth know how to display their influences, but tie it together with their own original style, without totally getting trapped, or painted into a corner of self indulgence. So, I did the same as you did Stilgar...funny isn't it? After MAYH, I knew Opeth were always going to make me wonder-"what direction are they going to go next?"

Cool. Thanks for the answer. :) And yeah. I feel the same way. After I got into MAYH I stopped worrying and knew that Opeth may take new directions, but if I dislike it at first, I just need to be patient enough and really listen to it and it will reward itself. I've never been disappointed by an Opeth album after that.

My friend was serving in the Army, stationed at Ft. Bragg, and he sent me a compilation of various metal bands from Europe (on cassette). The compilation included Credence and Demon of the Fall. After listening to those songs several times and falling in "intrigue" with not just the songs, but the uniqueness of the band, I went out to a local music store and picked up the only Opeth album they had in stock, which was Blackwater Park.

I listened to Blackwater Park about 10 times, not sure if I really liked it or not... After the 16th listen, I realized that Opeth and Blackwater park had made it into my top 5 list (favorite band and album list), with The Drapery Falls becoming my favorite metal song of all time.

Watershed recently edged out my beloved Blackwater Park, with a 9.5/10.

Note: it took 18 spins of Still Life before I realized it wasn't just a second rate version of BWP, and is an ass-hair from being just as great.

I started in early 2002. I bought the 2 disc edition of Blackwater Park 'cause i read great reviews of this band on magazines.
After the first listen i didn't understand too much their music. The song length, the complexity of arrangements, the clean and growl alternation were something new for me.
For a month i didn't give a hear to this record. When i picked it up again later, the door of a new musical level were definitely opened for me and 6 year later they're still my favourite band.