Which year did you start listening to Peth?

Which year did you start listening to Opeth?

• Pre-1994

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 0.9%

Votes: 3 1.3%

Votes: 5 2.2%

Votes: 4 1.8%

Votes: 4 1.8%

Votes: 16 7.0%

Votes: 13 5.7%

Votes: 26 11.4%

Votes: 23 10.1%

Votes: 22 9.6%

Votes: 21 9.2%

Votes: 38 16.7%

Votes: 23 10.1%

Votes: 20 8.8%

Votes: 8 3.5%

• Total voters
2004, a year after Damnation, and a year before Ghost Reveries.

Good times.

EDIT: oh, forgot. First album was BWP.

I actually started listening to teh Peth last year. Yea, I jumped on the bandwagon late in the game, but no other band has ever grown on me quicker than teh Peth!

Heard teh Peth long time ago but wasn't into the growlies back then. Bought BWP on a whim around 2004 and loved it.

I fell away from metal for a few years.
With a few exceptions (Deftones) I pretty much hated nu-metal - so ended up exploring electronica (Boards of Canada), trip-hop (Air), rap (Biggie) and other scenes.

My first experience with the cookie monster growls was seeing Arch Enemy in 2005 or so. Absolutely fucking rocked my socks off!
So started delving around looking for similar bands.
Found Lamb of God and literally lost 6 months of my life soaking up their sounds.

That got me curious about other bands, so I think it was this article I found that introduced me to Opeth...
http://heavymetal.about.com/od/toppicks/tp/top_bestof2005.htm

Downloaded Ghost Reveries. It sat on my IPod for a while, and I will say it took weeks (maybe months) before I really started to appreciate it.
After that, it was all over but the crying.

They ARE my favorite band. And with a catalogue this deep and rich, I expect them to be my favorite band for a long time to come...

Must say it's a lonely existence being a 'Peth fanatic though....
When you're 39 and work as a consultant for a telecom, better fuckin' BELIEVE nobody ever heard of Opeth - or wanted to, for that matter!

sometime in 02, i heard master's apprentices and i was under their spell. made it a point to listen to everything this band had ever done, and i haven't heard better music since. in fact i'm sad that i didn't hear of opeth sooner.

1892. Mirror mirror on the wall does that make me the truest of them all?

In 02 cuz Some kid played Harvest in guitar class, and I it was pretty cool, but needed more cowbell. Even still I ended up getting the cd a few weeks later. I heard good things for years, but never really took the time to really check them out. Still needs moar cowbell though.

I bought my first Opeth record in spring 2007. I had been listening to them
occasionally for about six months before that until I decided to pick up
Ghost Reveries after a sales clerk recommended I start there.

1892. Mirror mirror on the wall does that make me the truest of them all?

In 02 cuz Some kid played Harvest in guitar class, and I it was pretty cool, but needed more cowbell. I ended up getting the cd a few weeks later. I heard good things for years, but never took the time to really check them out. Still needs moar cowbell though.

:lol: They should totally cover Don't Fear the Reaper. That would fix it. And have Bruce Dickinson produce it...

I think it was 2002 just after Deliverance was just released, but the first thing I heard from them was Blackwater Park.

It was the cover of Celtic Frosts "Circle of the Tyrants" on the Dwell Records Celtic Frost Tribute record in 1996, though I really didn't really get into them heavy until BW PArk.