Who is generally accepted as the fastest drummer?

Listen to the recent Thorns release, I think it came out in 2000. Hellhammmer is doing to drumming, the fastest I've EVER heard. Deeds of Flesh has a reputuation for having insane-ly fast drummers, check out their shit.

watch that live Emperor video that was released right before they broke up. I don't think he has any problems playing fast. He looks asleep half the time going berzerker!

imaginary said:
Nothing much new to be read here that hasn't been said before. Hoever, make a note of this and perhaps be enlightened:

1. Nick Barker cheats. The drums for Bimmu Dorgir are quantized and in some cases even programmed.

2. Trym is a great drummer but nowhere as fast as Hellhammer or some others. During many Emperor recordings they had big problems with his speed.

3. Speed isn't everything, technique isn't everything... tastefullness, creativity, and knowing what to play at the right moment however, is!

Now about trigging, contrary to common belief, trigging is nothing other than the replacement of an organic sound by a sampled or synthesized sound. The drummer still actually plays the hits, either on a regular drum-set or on a pad, which is just as velocity sensitive as a regular drum.

The only difference is that a regular bass-drum often sounds like crap, while a triggered sound sounds more controlled and smooth. It's a matter of taste, but try getting good sound out of a real bass drum and you will work long and hard....

hehe omg black metal drumming doesnt compare to cryptopsy.. And yes.. like has been pointed out.. listen to some grind drummers .. fucking nuts. A guy that plays here in vancouver plays so hard he pukes on stage .. fucking hits his head on cymbols and starts bleeding all over.. haha hes bad ass.. gogoog Zuckuss.. www.zuckuss.com

Alot of very good names have beenm mentioned so far in this forum, but I thought speaking as a death metal drummer, I should take the oppurtunity to clear up some poinjts of confusion that seem to permeate the thread. Firstly, one really can't compare the speed as set with by a world record holder with a part employed in a dm song. Those records are first of all decided by how fast a guy can play for one minute. I don't think I've heard any dm drummer keep up extremely quick foot-work for a minute-for a myriad of reasons including simple regulations of song structure. The approach is also completely different. A guy like waterston is not exactley making sure hes playing clean 32nds during a competition, more just flailing away...in fact i thnk he set the record with double-strokes, something that nobody in death metal does,

Secondly, there seem to be a lot of misconceptions about triggers. Simply put, what a trigger does is to produce an electronic sound when an acoustic drum is struck. Really what this does is create a uniformity of sound between two bass drums, removing the frustrations of producing an identical tuning, and making set-up and clarity far more manageable. Any talk of being able to "double up" the triggered sound for every acoustic note struck is in my opinion nonsense. I have problems enough getting a clean single sound without some sort of flamming or other wierdness with my triggers, i can't imagine how difficult it would be to produce an authentic doubling every time. The only somewhat logical critisicm of triggering is that technque can be somewhat altered-meaning that one can play softer when the bassdrums are triggered and produce a healthier volume. But of course, think about the physics of death metal drumming. when one is playing with their feet at a breakneck tempo there is simply not time to pull off the part hitting hard, this is one of the great reasons why the vast majority of the best dm players use triggers in the first place...it is not "cheating" it simply must be done to produce any sort of clarity of sound without professional level micing. By the way, I was resistant to using triggers for quite a long time. However, when purchasing a second bass drum a few years back,I foolishly got the more entry level equivalent of what i had to save a couple hundred dollars, and though at once similar in sound, the woods or not the same and as they age are growing further apart. It was at the point where I was finding it impossible to tune them in a uniform manner, so i sucked it up and bought triggers. In some respects it has made my life much easier, but its not like i got instantly speedier. Anything you hear on record is still achieved through dedication and skill...well at least what you hear live.

Ok Boys and Girls...
Cryptopsy - None So Vile (but mostly any)
Hate Eternal - Conquering the Throne
Origin - III
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines/Black Seeds of Vengence
Gorgasm - Stabwound Intercoarse/Bleeding Profusley
Disgorge (US) - Cranial Impalment/She Lay Gutted/Consume the Forsaken

I know theres heaps of other drummers, but these might be the only ones that will be remotely tolerated by people on this board so... HA

If you want to get into the hardcore crazy shit hit these albums.

Brutal Truth - Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responces
Alienation Mental - Ballspouter
Leng Tche - Death By a Thousand Cuts
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenfris
Brodequin - Festival of Death/Instruments of Torture

The fastest straight double bass I've heard in a song is Opening of the Gates (can he pull that off live?). Trym is damn fast but he's beaten by a lot of people. Like the guy from Cryptopsy, and Hellhammer. I don't really know too many. I wouldn't count contests and things like that either. It's fun to know, but it doesn't apply to actual music so well.

Hondo said:
The fastest straight double bass I've heard in a song is Opening of the Gates (can he pull that off live?)

Alot of people are of the opinion that he didn't actually do those kickers
I think they're real, I wouldn't mind seeing Pete live to check it out.

Hondo said:
The fastest straight double bass I've heard in a song is Opening of the Gates (can he pull that off live?). Trym is damn fast but he's beaten by a lot of people. Like the guy from Cryptopsy, and Hellhammer. I don't really know too many. I wouldn't count contests and things like that either. It's fun to know, but it doesn't apply to actual music so well.

The topic here is speed. All of the drummers mentioned in bands are only being evaluated in terms of speed anyway, so what does musical application have to do with anything?

Proscriptor from Absu, Hellhammer, Pete Sandoval from Morbid Angel, Derek Roddy, Tim Yeung both from Hate Eternal, and John Longstreth from Origin/AngelCorpse , Richard Christy from Death, Iced earth, Tony from Nile, God Dethroned, etc. Dave Culross from Malevelent Creation, Disgorged, Suffocation etc, Alex Hernandez frm Immolation, Doc from Vader, Gene Hoglan from Death, Dark Angel, etc, to name a few. These are among the best of the best.

May I throw a spanner in the so called roll call works of fleet footed demonic double kick artistes and draw your attention to the work of the drummer on Exhorder's lovely and beautific release Slaughter In The Vatican. A truly remarkable example of thrash anticipating the blast in the ridiculous culture of what we generalise as America. I think it is track 2 from my memories. But simply guys all you double kick freaks should add this to your Sandoval recollections. American double kicks never sounded so insane.
Please email with your comments.
dchristensen@kooee.com.au

I truly think this is an overlooked masterpiece.
Then again I like Steely Dan!!!!!!!!!!!!

imaginary said:
Nothing much new to be read here that hasn't been said before. Hoever, make a note of this and perhaps be enlightened:

1. Nick Barker cheats. The drums for Bimmu Dorgir are quantized and in some cases even programmed.

2. Trym is a great drummer but nowhere as fast as Hellhammer or some others. During many Emperor recordings they had big problems with his speed.

3. Speed isn't everything, technique isn't everything... tastefullness, creativity, and knowing what to play at the right moment however, is!

Now about trigging, contrary to common belief, trigging is nothing other than the replacement of an organic sound by a sampled or synthesized sound. The drummer still actually plays the hits, either on a regular drum-set or on a pad, which is just as velocity sensitive as a regular drum.

The only difference is that a regular bass-drum often sounds like crap, while a triggered sound sounds more controlled and smooth. It's a matter of taste, but try getting good sound out of a real bass drum and you will work long and hard....

Totally agree.

NovemberFrost said:
The topic here is speed. All of the drummers mentioned in bands are only being evaluated in terms of speed anyway, so what does musical application have to do with anything?

That's true, but I'm more interested in who PLAYS the fastest, in practicality. I just said I wouldn't count contests.

Chris Pennie from DEP does have some fast hands but
I wouldn't think he would be the fastest.
Thomas Haake is just crazy. He plays very difficult
timings but not really fast.
The dude from Nevermore has some pretty fast licks.
The dude from Pissing Razors is pretty fast too.
The dude from Candiria was pretty fast also.
I have seen Virgil Donati twice. Not only is he the
best drummer in the world, he can keep up very fast
double bass drum patterns (two on the left foot,
three on the right, three on the left foot, two on
the right ect.) for many minutes.
He can also move his hands around the drums quicker
than anyone I have ever seen live.
Get "The Ultimate Drummers Weekend 2002"DVD and
check out this crazy Aussie! OI!!
He practices 8 to 13 hours when he is not touring.