Who is going to Tuska Festival?

ok, i am going to tuska now probably with my sister and her friend, :Spin: so i have some questions about getting around helsinki for any finnish people or people who have been there.

whats the best form of transport? and how long does the metro run for? im used to getting around london throughout the night and i often forget in other cities that you cant always do this. so if i go to a club or something will i be able to get back to the hotel? also, ive been told that helsinki's not a good place to wander round at night but i dont know how true this is.

any other advice about the trip would be appreciated as well, thanks.

Natassja said:
ok, i am going to tuska now probably with my sister and her friend, :Spin: so i have some questions about getting around helsinki for any finnish people or people who have been there.

whats the best form of transport? and how long does the metro run for? im used to getting around london throughout the night and i often forget in other cities that you cant always do this. so if i go to a club or something will i be able to get back to the hotel? also, ive been told that helsinki's not a good place to wander round at night but i dont know how true this is.

any other advice about the trip would be appreciated as well, thanks.
well when i was there, I took the tram everywhere, its 1.80 euros for an hour of service on the tram, just grab yourself a complimentary stockmans map and that has all the tram routes on it, but thats only for the more downtown area. Try to avoid cabs, I found that they were hella expensive, considering that the starting rate was around 7 euros. I took the subway once, but I have no recollection of where it was and how to use. Also I took the train from center of helsinki to a place called kannelmäki, the train is pretty simple though, just find out which platform and get on, you pay for ticket on the train, or so I did. Also there are a bunch of buses but I never took them, only to the airport in back. But as ive stated the tram is really useful.

edit: I think the tram stops running around 1am, but it opens up again at 5 or 6, you shouldnt have a problem killing that amount of time.

Wings of a dream said:
Bodomite you're comming to Venezuela dammit! NOT Brazil but Venezuela ok? Plus women here are more beautiful than in Brazil right? Only reason to go to Brazil is because of Angra and Shaman, but then again they might even not be there so..

Here, take a look

aids.jpg

Hate to burst your bubble bro but i saw all that in brasil :lol: :D

Natassja said:
whats the best form of transport? and how long does the metro run for? im used to getting around london throughout the night and i often forget in other cities that you cant always do this. so if i go to a club or something will i be able to get back to the hotel?

The metro pretty much sucks; it's really small, nothing like the one you have in London. You can get pretty much everywhere with busses but the tram is useful in central Helsinki too.

A really, really useful site : http://aikataulut.ytv.fi/reittiopas/en/

It's indeed harder to move around at night, only a few special busses run after 1 am but if your hotel is located in the city centre it shouldn't be impossible to get there on foot from the club. If you can afford it you can always take a cab.

Natassja said:
also, ive been told that helsinki's not a good place to wander round at night but i dont know how true this is.

I go out at least once a week and see a fight maybe once a year. I've been to London and I'd say Helsinki is much more peaceful.

thanks for all the info, its a great help. i guess ill stick to the busses and trams then and avoid being out after 1am, although the hostel im staying in is round the corner from tavastia so that shouldnt be a problem.

honestly, dont, Corner Bar is open till 3 I think most nights and wednesday,fridays and saturdays( I cant remember its something like this) Darx is open till 4 or 5 is it? That place is really chilling, good music and good drinks. Besides outside is nice enough to be, and as for the crime thing, my second last night in finland at about 5 in the morning. I saw this drunken man running the best he could and a cop just jog up to him, slam him against a fence and arrest him, ElFenrir13 was there as well, it was quite humerous. But no Helsinki is harmless, I walked by myself from Linnankatu street which is on what i think they call the north docks, im not sure, all the way too the downtown stockmanns area just to find some food at about 2-3 am and i was fine, actually i might have seen about 2 or 3 people going into a strip club and thats about it.

I even sold my books to get some cash for Finland. I want to buy Hate Me, Children Of Bodom and Downfall's EP,hope I can find. And I heard that in Finland everything is extremely expensive!!! I think I have to take some victual with me..

tickets are sold out for the last day of tuska. do you guys know if there is any way to still get tickets, like are there usually people scalping them there? also, would it stil be possible to get a 3-day ticket?

psycho88 said:
tickets are sold out for the last day of tuska. do you guys know if there is any way to still get tickets, like are there usually people scalping them there? also, would it stil be possible to get a 3-day ticket?

WTF?????? NOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

selin said:
I even sold my books to get some cash for Finland. I want to buy Hate Me, Children Of Bodom and Downfall's EP,hope I can find. And I heard that in Finland everything is extremely expensive!!! I think I have to take some victual with me..

All the old singles are pretty hard to find. You'll need to go to a 2nd hand music store and ask them if they can find it from a cellar, but it will cost a lot, and it will take days and days before they can check if they have 'em!!

psycho88 said:

There are still a few 3 day tickets on www.lippupalvelu.fi. People sell some tuska tickets on huuto.net, Finnish eBay kinda auction thingie http://www.huuto.net/fi/cats/liputkons.php3 (only in Finnish, though).

Shadeg said:
I go out at least once a week and see a fight maybe once a year. I've been to London and I'd say Helsinki is much more peaceful.

I've never been to Helsinki but i've travelled a lot of countries and it's pretty much the same for every city.

Your safety pretty much depends on where abouts you go... Stick to main pedestrian areas, brightly lit city centres etc and you should have minimal trouble.

-Gavin- said:
Your safety pretty much depends on where abouts you go... Stick to main pedestrian areas, brightly lit city centres etc and you should have minimal trouble.

Well, here in Tampere there are a couple of places you probably shouldn't go and fuck around on your own at Friday and Saturday nights. The river bay and the downtown market area. It's a friggin' small town center here I'd say but there are still some guys you wouldn't wanna crash into. And the thing is if some people attack you (and I mean it in plural because it's always packs of people) they're trashed and not thinking clear and can do just about anything to you. I survived from a fight last summer as I was pretty drunk and ten big guys surrounded me and the most famous street fighter of the town attacked me.. I stood up and nearly broke his nose but someone managed to stick right in between.. sick people. My luck I passed out after like 50 blows to the head and nobody started kicking or anything.. and the next thing I remember was when I was home soaken in blood.. Nothing to it, it was just embarrasing and of course the punches hurt pretty much, more than you would think but not that much.. the big guy hit in the forehead most of the time, the motherfucker should've realized it's the hardest bone on human body..

Of course I'll go.. Only have to travel from Norway, but it's CoB so I don't mind.. Only one week left until I leave.. Can't fuckin wait!! :D Only gonna be at Tuska for one day tho, but CoB is the reason I'm going.. ;)