WHO REFERRED YOU TO OPETH

actually i just realized i lied in this thread. It wasn't amazon.com, it was a Century Media compliation, Identity 5. Those compilations actually were one of the most important factors for my interest in extreme metal. I believe i found Katatonia, Opeth, Arch Enemy, Nevermore, The Gathering, Strapping Young Lad, Arcturus, Soilwork, and Cryptopsy from them.

For me it was a web search for bands that sounded like Tool. This was back in 2000 or 2001, before I had any idea what extreme music or metal or any of this stuff was. I might have listened to som Sabbath and Metallica at the time, but that's it as far as heavy goes.

I didn't find bands that sounded like Tool, but I found some pretty good shit!

An ad in some metal magazine - can't remember which one - maybe Metal Maniacs. Talked about Opeth being the Heaviest Band Ever.

An argentinian friend recommended them to me. I downloaded Circle of tirants and Harvest. Two days later i bought Blackwater Park.

¡Gracias Rorschach!

My cousin sent me Blackwater Park (the song). I fecking hated it (because of the growls), then, about a week later or something he sent me Remember Tomorrow, Harvest and Leper Affinity. I gained some interest in them after I heard the clean vocals. Then after I while, I started liking them more and more.

my girlfriend bought me metalhammer mag 3 or 4years ago and BWP was rated 8th (something like that) best metal album, cant remember who reviewed it but he ggave the opinion that i might like it, i downloaded it, loved it and then over a period of a few months bought all there albums.
ahh, to completly rediscover them again would be great

A trip to germany with an orchestra. A friend with an ipod, me with nothing.
Though I've never liked metal up to that trip, he showed me opeth, and I kinda liked it. (not the growling at first)

Then when I got to israel I didn't hear of them for like half an year then I rembmered "those brutal doods", and I listened to some songs.

Only after a lot of listening I've trully learned to appreciate opeth not only as "cool metal doods" but as "great music doods!"

Interesting, MA was the song that I first liked the death vocals on too. From there they were no problem.

That's weird..
When I started opeth, I was hooked mainly on Wreath, though it isn't one of the most musicly impressing songs to my opinion (still great)
MA seemed to evil to me... I don't know, the riff had somthing PURE EVIL VICOS CRAP in it... I mainly was hooked on wreath.
After about half a year, I listened to some other songs. I just serched opeth on one of those online music places. I heared weakness, and I was intruiged :O how can a band have such brutal vocals and such lovely yet sad melody and singing. After that I just started loving opeth totally. Now ofcourse I love MA. At that time it was to much for me P:

LOVE OPETH! THEY DESERVE IT

Adding to my first post:

I also heard MA and I loved it. It sounded to angry and mad, and I actually could understand (mostly) what Mike was growling, unlike a lot of other growling bands. It was my first heavy Opeth song, and I was hooked after that.

Thanks bro!:kickass:

I actually found out about Opeth during an argument. My ex-girlfriend's boyfriend and I were debating death metal versus prog (I had sided with prog...) which lead to some music swapping. He ended up with some Dream Theater, I got some Behemoth, somehow the conversation turned to Mastodon (I liked them and he didn't) and from there to Opeth, who he insisted were great.

I finally ended up picking up Ghost Reveries after another guy told me a bunch of good stuff about the band. I remember disliking it at first- Ghost of Perdition was a harsh introduction to death vocals. But after a second listen I got hooked on Harlequin Forest, and from there I started to like The Grand Conjuration more and more... so, yeah, by the next morning, I owned all of Opeth's studio albums but Morningrise and Orchid, which I picked up about a week later.

It was all pretty weird, in an awesome way.

"those brutal doods":lol:

it took me a long time to get into wreath. it was probably the last song i liked. i thought wreath was more evil than ma, which is probably more just straight out death metal for the first four minutes or so.

Yup like I said, wreath is a "simpler" song, more classicly death metal. I guess that's why at the time I liked it the most. I didn't see the AwEsOmNeSs of the other songs.MA seemed way more "devilish" to me :p

But when hearin weakness. Man, awesome! Then I started hearing them a lot:oops:

Awesome band, I don't know what my life be without them :kickass:

my cousin played Damnation and declared it was by a death metal band named Opeth. at the time i was categorically not a fan of death metal; small wonder why Damnation intrigued me so much. i thought to myself, "if Opeth can play this melodic acoustic stuff, then surely their heavy music must be something?" i ate up Damnation and after a week, my cousin gave me Still Life.

you know when you fall in love with a stunning babe, you lose your virginity to her one night and spend the next two weeks having sex every day coz you can't get enough? Still Life created a similar euphoria for me.

it was like being holed up in a dank cellar, replete with cobwebs, musty newspapers, with nothing to smell but wood and earth, and hidden among the piles of ancient newspapers and pieces of yesteryear you find a bottle of vintage wine, a clean glass, some fresh cheese, and a pack of cigarettes all for you.

music has never been so tasty.

I envy bleeding hero's virginity loss to a "stunning babe"... :lol:

Anyhow, I've mentioned it in another thread, but I was the humanities department chair at a small private high school, and a guy came in and interviewed for a teaching position. He met with my long time friend, who was the curriculum director, and she being a music nut asked him about what he liked. His answer was progressive metal. She pretty much stopped the interview to get me, so we could meet, since she knew I loved metal. The candidate asked me what I liked, and I said, "Iced Earth," and he kind of laughed. "Oh," I said. "What do you like?" He then told me about Opeth, and called them heavy but beautiful. Sort of a death metal Moody Blues. I checked them out and am glad I did. He didn't get the job, but I'll remember him forever.