Who's Your All Time Fav. Guitarist

These are some great shredders one and all! I too was shown the path by Page/Iommi. Both were pure genius in the day. Listening and seeing both was an unforgettable experience. Will not bore you with another list as others have my favorites on their's. But here are two that I have not seen listed yet, Pete Black, Andy La Rocque. A good sample would be “The Invisible Guests” from the King Diamond recording “Them”. If you truly LOVE music a good lead break will hit you emotionally as it does me, and not just show the players (I hate the word “artist”) Virtuosity. A good player knows how to bring it out in you. Nuff said.

Jimmy Page kicks ass
I watched The Song Remains The Same yesterday when he plays his guitar with the violin bow
That was some really REALLY cool shit.
when people do weird shit with ethir guitars thats cool
i heard a story about Paul Gilbert(who can shred like fucking crazy) attatched a bunch of pics to a drill pit ona drill, let the fucker spin really damn fast and then just went nuts on his guitar.
that would be cool as hell to see. i wonder if its true

About the whole drill bit thing...

That sounds like a good idea, but I don't think it's possible, for long anyway.

Depending on the string gauge, pick gauge and string tension, the string(s) could break very easily if a pick is striking them at those speeds.

Yes, it would sound cool as shit if you could pull if off, but it is a VERY difficult skill to master.

Yeah, Paul G. had loads of fun w/his drill-bit dealie. Nothing like 256th notes to wake up a RacerX crowd. :)

I like the distinction between favorite guitarists and "best" guitarists. Mainly, this is because "best" is JUST as subjective as favorite. I have guitarists I love to listen to and then I have guitarists I love to *watch.*

I love to listen to Loomis and Calvert , of course, as well as Eric Peterson and Skol. The things that bring me back are the creative uses of scales and just CRUNCH these fellas get. Listening to DNB and First Strike are just FUN because of the gymnastics, the tight rhythms and solos that REALLY fit the songs. That's important to me.

Here's the thing, though. I haven't seen anyone mention Yngwie. Now, I must preface this with the fact that I think that Mr. Malmsteen's ego couldn't fit in the state of New Hampshire and for that reason I know a lot of folks don't like him. However, I sat down with one of his "play along" videos and was completely humbled. He's now one of my favorite guitarists to WATCH. I don't enjoy watching a lot of the technical/thrash/shred guitar players that just kind of stand behind a mop of hair, don't move (head banging doesn't count) and are completely uninteresting to watch.

I don't know. I think I've stopped making sense... As a guitarist, myself, I guess I know what I want to get out of a listening to/watching a guitar player PLAY. A lot of the names mentioned are fabulous guitarists and musicians. Props to all of them. Personally, my favorite guitarist right now is Eric Peterson. I can't help thinking that he and JL would have a lot of fun, together....

Peace,

Phil

Originally posted by Vylance X
About the whole drill bit thing...

That sounds like a good idea, but I don't think it's possible, for long anyway.

Depending on the string gauge, pick gauge and string tension, the string(s) could break very easily if a pick is striking them at those speeds.

Yes, it would sound cool as shit if you could pull if off, but it is a VERY difficult skill to master.

yeah, its possible...ask Ed Van Halen. He does tha tshit with a drill, its awsome.

Jimm Page used a vibrating dildo on the guitar too. It sounds wierd, but its true. I have never heard it, if i have, i was unaware, I have read many times about it.

Originally posted by ledmag

yeah, its possible...ask Ed Van Halen. He does tha tshit with a drill, its awsome.

Jimm Page used a vibrating dildo on the guitar too. It sounds wierd, but its true. I have never heard it, if i have, i was unaware, I have read many times about it.

He never attached picks to the drill though. He just operated the drill near the pickup.

Try attaching picks to a vibrating dildo.....ah ha!!! Finally inspiration for Loomis to start writing again!

I knew a dude that used to pick his strings with a chainsaw running at full speed!!!! That's some crazy sh1t!!!!

Originally posted by Unregistered
Try attaching picks to a vibrating dildo.....ah ha!!! Finally inspiration for Loomis to start writing again!

I have no clue what he did with it. He only mentioned it a few times, and he was serious. I have an interview with him that pertains to the DILDO, Ill see If I can find it, scan it, and post it. I dont think he put picks on it, i think he just rubbed it against the strings. Perhaps I should get my wifes dildo out and see what i can do with it on the guitar LOL.

Originally posted by Unregistered
Get it out..... of where? ;-)

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Out of our TOY DRAWER.......at the moment, since we are not playing right now...........LOL. I had forgotten, I need to get it and apply it to my guitar. LOL

My favorites would have to be Paul Masvidal and Jason Goebel in the Cynic days - Paul's work now is awesome too.
Other favorites include Jeff L., Tim C. Pat O'brien... (of course) I also like Jack's laidback style in Cannibal Corpse....
The guitar players in Opeth are great in my book too.
Nice to see Alan Holdsworth mentioned here, very cool.
Erol Unala of Apollyon's Sun plays a mean guitar, as does Al Jourgensen (Ministry)...and my all time favorite man with a guitar is Daniel Ash.

Devin Townsend can play lead, he did when he was with Vai on live stuff, but lead dosn't honestly fit into most of his music. Personally, a lot of metal bands just throw in leads, and they don't fit in with the song at all, and just sound like wanking *cough*Slayer*cough*.

Here's my list of favorite guitarists,
Criss Oliva - love his solos, their great, and his riffs were awsome as well. My first real influence, listening to old Savatage was how i learned to play guitar.
Jeff Loomis - Jeff's great at riffs and lead. He plays some fast leads, but unlike a lot of metal bands, they suit the song. And his slower soloing is great. Riffs are frantic and really add to the song, on PoE and DnB that is. DHIADW isn't as complicated, but still, it sounds good.
Mike Amott - Some of the best, melodic lead playing in metal. Was great in Carcass too.
Chuck Schuldiner - Excellant at rhythm and lead, and could play cool riffs while singing at the same time. I havn't heard early Death, but i really enjoy their last few albums.

Very nice choices doommaker
Mike Amott kicks ass. Carcass rocks, err.....rocked. well, they still do.
Sucks that they boke up too. But if they didn't, then i guess there owuld be no arch enemy, and taht would blow. why the hell did they break up anyway? Too bad Bill Steer went all weird with that new band hes in. forget what its called though. something like Firebird or some shit. what's Jeff Walker doing now?
Anyone know?