Who's Your All Time Fav. Guitarist

Ability...

1. Jeff Loomis (on Politics...)
2. Dave Mustaine (Killing is my buisiness - Countdown to extinction)
3. Chuck Schuldiner
4. Daniel Mongrain (Martyr...)
5. Petrucci
6. James Hetfield (on Justice...)

There's heaps more... but I just woke up, and i can't think yet, must... have... coffee... !!

Feel and Style (can't really be ranked...)

Loomis (Poe), Chuck, Mongraine, Mustaine (his early stuff was sloppy, but RIP was perfect...!), Tim Calvert

Best Riffs

1. Jeff Loomis (on Politics...!)
2. Mongrain
3. Chuck
4. Mustaine
5. Hetfield

Marty Friedman fits in there somewhere too, but i'm not sure where...!!!

jake e. lee
chuck
bobby koeble
brad gillis ( on the ozzy stuff )
holdsworth
angus young ( angus rocks the box like no other )
brad hull ( forced entry, master of the fucked up sound effects)
vivian cambell
pat martino ( plays the craziest shit you've ever heard )

-Jeff Loomis
-Chuck Shuldiner
-Mike Amott(I ot an e-mail from him today actually)
-Adam Jones(from Tool, really awesome riffs)
-RUSTY COOLEY!!!!! (ny GOD!!! have you seen this guy shred? it's fucking insane! two words: sweep picking!)
-Steve Cameron(Common Era)
-The lead guitarist in Cryptopsy(his name escapes now)
-The guys from Spiral Architect
-Trey Azagthoth(Morbid Angel)
-The guys from Testament
-Jon Shaffer
-The guys from Opeth

thats all i can think of right now

oh yah obviously the classics like Jimmy Page and David Gilmour
shit, and Slash too!

IMMONI
BLACKMORE
SANTANA
DAN ROCK
Kenn Nardi
Eddie Clarke
ed halen
Donald "Buck Dharma"
Michael Schenker
Alex Lifeson
Tony Bourge

hahahaha
DIE DUDES

favs:Jeff Loomis,Jason becker,tony Macalpine, Randy Rhoads, James Hetfield, Jon Schaffer, Marty Friedman,Dave Mustaine, Michael Fath, John Petrucci...

Best:Randy Rhoads, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Allan Holdsworth, Michael Fath, Tony Macalpine, Al Di'meola, Petrucci, Vai??, Satriani, Gilbert, Gambale, George Bellas....others, not me

Devy has some good ideas up in that head of his, but he is nowhere near the skill on guitar as some of these other guys.

And Hendrix is a fluke. Yeah, he was good for his time, only because he was different. He has nothing on today's players.

Devy can shred, but it just doesn't fit with his ideas...it'd be stupid to shred just to let you people know he can, right ?

About hendrix... he might not sweep, or tap, or play supertight, but I don't see many names (except for the bluesy guys mentioned) on the previous posts who can improvise, which is actually the whole idea behind playing leads : letting your imagination flow based on a set chord-progression.

Someone mentioned a TOWNSEND up there somewhere.
Well, Pete T from The Who,,now that guy is a rythem GOD. He is amazing on the strum. His leads are cheesy and simple, but this guy has a solo thats only one fucking note,,and its creative and KILLER,,and its not a short solo either.

To sum things up...THE WHO FUCKING ROCK.

About hendrix... he might not sweep, or tap, or play supertight...

...or shred, or play fast legato...

Anyone with half a brain can improvise just like Hendrix, but to actually write a solo that adds to the peice, and is in itself a composition.

Hendrix is no different to Kirk Hammett, or Jimmy Page. Every single solo is a Pentatonic/Blues scale, played with wah, and a pile of noise.

I'm not a big-time Hendrix fan...to be honest, I barely listen to his stuff, but you've obviously never listened to his music if you dare to compare him to Hammett...check out a live bootleg, you'll be amazed.
Agreed, a lot of his stuff is just basic pentatonic, but he does get some really neat stuff with that simple little scale without holding back, or playing it safe.

Actually, i am a big hendrix fan, i just don't think that he's a great guitarist, and YES, i do dare compare him to hammett, as they both have a similar style, and neither of them are particularily great...

you guys are missing the topic! who's your fave guitarist. not who'S technically the best. i like hendrix even...if he taps or not. dot.

for mr devin townsend. yes, he plays guitar. i read an interview where he said that the guitar was the only things ecxept school that he did in his youth! do you think someone else wrote the music for terria, infinity, city and so on?