Why do so many people dislike Deliverance?

The first Opeth cd i owned was Blackwater Park, then Deliverance, then Damnation, then Still Life, then Morningrise. Well, I'm still working on MAYH and Orchid, but I love them all.

BWP is far from my favourite. If I had to rate the Opeth albums, I'd have to say:
Morningrise
MAYH
Still Life
Deliverance
Damnation
Blackwater Park
Orchid

You must understand, I love them all, it's hard to choose among them, but this is in order of which ones i find myself wanting to listen to most.

imo if deliverance had been made by another band, it would have been much higher in my ratings. but i feel it's not opeth's best effore; it would be amazing for any other band, but a dissapointment for opeth :cry:

DarknessEternal said:
imo if deliverance had been made by another band, it would have been much higher in my ratings. but i feel it's not opeth's best effore; it would be amazing for any other band, but a dissapointment for opeth :cry:

Indeed.

Disappointment.

Effort.

deliverance is a fabulous album. I'm very glad they made it and it fits perfectly in my opeth collection.

Well to understand why I don't like deliverance, you muste first understand why I like Opeth. Opeth is among the top musicians in metal and thats half the reason I like them; along with their atmosphere. I feel both of those elements have been in decline since black water park. I like blackwater but nothing since. Still life was the climax of their career. It had multiple guitar layers that most bands couldn't comprehend how to assemble. BWP had some of that but not as much. Every album since black water park suffers from being over-produced as well. A faster brutaller band would benefit more from the beyond crystal clear production. That effected the atmosphere, darkness and beauty. Opeth used harmonic structures that most band sin extreme music don't. There overuse of powerchords on deliverance is so short of what they've done and are capable of. The song structures and riffs are too monotonous and boring. The end of the deliverances title track is the ultimate example of whats wrong with the album. It just drags on and on. I am not advocating complexity and technicallity for the sake of it all the time, but come on us musicians need something more to appreciate. I could go...

i can agree that this (damnation not deliverance) a good or excellent album..
ok
but this album did not have to have one of the opeth's
i feel myself getting older because every band i worship change smtg on them which give them their meanings...
i hope they dont try to make a techno album for some change..

A Fair Judgment was the best song they did live on the last tour and I saw them twice on that tour. Stuff from Deliverence is quite on par with A Fair Judgment, that level being - quite excellent. That being said, Demon Of The Fall was probably my second favorite song to hear them play and to compare them is also easy - quite comparable, quite excellent.

there was a comment about the end of the title track droning on and on. I am a musician and appreciate the technicality and also the effect of such a brilliant piece of syncopated riffing achieves. while not containing acoustic interludes and speed picking (which Opeth don't do that much of, they have never been called a mind blowing speed metal riffing extravaganza ala Symphony X etc etc thank god) I find it one of Opeth's most brilliant moments. It is on this track and the album as a whole where the often mentioned Voivod and late era Coroner influence is apparent. I guess I just dig those twisted yet progressive almost industrial harmonies that crop up in the guitars on Deliverance.
Deliverance is heavy yet subtle in its art. I just love it and I guess that shows up in my preferences for the aforementioned bands.
Then again my favourite song remains Bleak off BWP. So there, enjoy.

all the subtlety is still there - the wild swings in mood and so on. Whoever its more well hidden in a fantastic production - inward vocal echoes, wind chimes, far away car alarms (yes, they are there!) rather than just changing to an acoustic guitar. the track 'deliverance' is probably one of my favourite opeth tracks.

Well said Neurotomania-subtle yet deeply complex. Although for some reason Wreath just does not grab me. Does anyone else think that riff is an ugly brute-but then again maybe thats the point. It just does not work for me as the rest of the album flows with a restrained brutality of
guitarscapes and sounds that are simply brilliant.

I absolutely love Deliverance and Damnation, but I doubt there will be another album like Still Life again. Doesn't matter, Opeth have impressed me with every release.

SADUDE said:
Well to understand why I don't like deliverance, you muste first understand why I like Opeth. Opeth is among the top musicians in metal and thats half the reason I like them; along with their atmosphere. I feel both of those elements have been in decline since black water park. I like blackwater but nothing since. Still life was the climax of their career. It had multiple guitar layers that most bands couldn't comprehend how to assemble. BWP had some of that but not as much. Every album since black water park suffers from being over-produced as well. A faster brutaller band would benefit more from the beyond crystal clear production. That effected the atmosphere, darkness and beauty. Opeth used harmonic structures that most band sin extreme music don't. There overuse of powerchords on deliverance is so short of what they've done and are capable of. The song structures and riffs are too monotonous and boring. The end of the deliverances title track is the ultimate example of whats wrong with the album. It just drags on and on. I am not advocating complexity and technicallity for the sake of it all the time, but come on us musicians need something more to appreciate. I could go...

I can definetely see where you're coming from, but I love the album. The end of the title track does indeed go on for too long but hey - Metallica made a whole new album out of that idea!
I agree though there are a lot more powerchords on Deliverance than normal for Opeth but I think when they're used as effectively as on "Master's Apprentice" (what a fucking HUGE riff!) they are quite acceptable.
This is my favourite Opeth album, probably because it's the easiest to get "into" with the least complex songs, and its possible I might end up preffering MAYH or Still Life when I've fully grasped all the complexities of the music (it'll take a while I think!)
I don't see how anyone could possibly say Deliverance isn't a fucking great album though - it clearly IS!!