Worship Music - fave tunes? Least faves?

Cool read. :wave: I think as they get older it will be harder to play those fast songs. I think out of the Big4, Charlie is by far the superior drummer as the one that has lost the least amount of ability with age. Time will tell. I agree Lars has lost the most but pound for pound he still plays as fast as the others.

I consider "fast playing" something else than the simple polka-punkish groove he plays, let's say, in Battery.

IN THE END ... i can't believe this is Joey singing on this album. He is still my fave Anthrax singer but he is just amazing on this disc. He completely went all out. Just amazing.

This is just cheese now:ill:

I'll carmambert that whith a bit of brie on the side.

Having said that (whatever I just said) I love WM in it's entirety. I even like Hymn 1 in it's own right. Reminds me of Kronos Quartet and the soundtrack they did with Clint Mansell for Requiem for a Dream.

Really digging The Giant... the hook and the chorus is just brilliant. This song has really, really grown on me a lot. I know it's a bit of a fav already with a lot of you.

Speaking of The Giant.... one of my favourite bits on the whole record is Rob's lead in this song. It's just fucking killer.

Does the guitar tone in this lead remind anyone else of Kirk Hammett's on the AJFA record???? I can't put my finger on exactly which lead I'm thinking of ..... maybe Shortest Straw?

Speaking of The Giant.... one of my favourite bits on the whole record is Rob's lead in this song. It's just fucking killer.

Does the guitar tone in this lead remind anyone else of Kirk Hammett's on the AJFA record???? I can't put my finger on exactly which lead I'm thinking of ..... maybe Shortest Straw?

The Shortest Straw has a great solo, one of my Hammett favorites.

After listening to this record a couple of times I have to say that it's a mix of grunge and Iron Maiden. "Revolution Screams" is a prime example with the Dickinson-esque vocal harmonies and sometimes guitar tone which sounds like it's right from an Alice In Chaines or Soundgarden record. I think it works good though but people who say SOWN is a grunge album should listen to this again, Anthrax have never sounded this grungy.

Let's pretend that the John-years never happened, no Butcher Brothers and no guests from Pantera. This was the follow-up to POT. My guess is that the trüe fans would have blasted it to hell. Maybe it's a good thing the years makes slightly more openminded and humble?

After listening to this record a couple of times I have to say that it's a mix of grunge and Iron Maiden. "Revolution Screams" is a prime example with the Dickinson-esque vocal harmonies and sometimes guitar tone which sounds like it's right from an Alice In Chaines or Soundgarden record. I think it works good though but people who say SOWN is a grunge album should listen to this again, Anthrax have never sounded this grungy.

Let's pretend that the John-years never happened, no Butcher Brothers and no guests from Pantera. This was the follow-up to POT. My guess is that the trüe fans would have blasted it to hell. Maybe it's a good thing the years makes slightly more openminded and humble?

Was thinking very similar things today too. Been listening to the album non stop now for over a week and there are defo Maiden and AIC influences in there.

As I have said, I am not completely happy with the album but it is better than anything during the Bush-era because there is someone who is able to sing in something other than a monotone on the vocals. I much prefer PoT/AtL etc. but this isn't bad.

I've given this album a couple of spins and I really don't get it. I'm surprised that so many of the old skool thrax fans on this board like it to be honest. It is very poppy and at times gives me this vibe of some of those new emo metal bands. I'm not saying it sounds like "TDT" but I definitely feel that they carried some of that over. Lets be honest "The Devil You Know" could have been lifted straight off of that album. I guaranty, fans of that genre are a good percentage of the people buying this album.
My opinion isn't based on a John or Joey thing. If WM was even half as good as POT it would be a great album but for me it just isn't.

I've given this album a couple of spins and I really don't get it. I'm surprised that so many of the old skool thrax fans on this board like it to be honest. It is very poppy and at times gives me this vibe of some of those new emo metal bands. I'm not saying it sounds like "TDT" but I definitely feel that they carried some of that over. Lets be honest "The Devil You Know" could have been lifted straight off of that album. I guaranty, fans of that genre are a good percentage of the people buying this album.
My opinion isn't based on a John or Joey thing. If WM was even half as good as POT it would be a great album but for me it just isn't.

I actually agree with you on this. Eddie Trunk doesn't. I was on record as saying The Devil You Know sounded like it could be on TDT album. I don't see this as a return to their classic era at all. But at least with Joey singing it sounds somewhat like Anthrax again. They obviously wrote this album without Joey in mind. I look forward to the next album that they write knowing Joey will be the vocalist from the beginning. Hopefully that brings them back to their roots. That being said musically and vocally it is certainly better than anything since SOWN but doesn't hold a candle to the classic era albums. (IMO of course)

I'm not saying it sounds like "TDT" but I definitely feel that they carried some of that over. Lets be honest "The Devil You Know" could have been lifted straight off of that album. I guaranty, fans of that genre are a good percentage of the people buying this album.

double-facepalm.jpg

diff strokes for diff folkes,i am not much of a metal fan and im more into hard rock,rock etc,for me this anthrax record is perfect for me,they delivered the goods,who gives a fuck if its metal rock whatever its great music.

diff strokes for diff folkes,i am not much of a metal fan and im more into hard rock,rock etc,for me this anthrax record is perfect for me,they delivered the goods,who gives a fuck if its metal rock whatever its great music.

My point exactly all along. But be careful what you say, you might get a crybaby video thrown at you, and a whole laundry list of things to explain how stupid you are, and a longer list of things to justify thier views. :lol:

My point exactly all along. But be careful what you say, you might get a crybaby video thrown at you, and a whole laundry list of things to explain how stupid you are, and a longer list of things to justify thier views. :lol:

maybe a better way to explain my view,i think some fans grow old with the band too and ofcourse there tastes are going to change,there will always be people saying they should be pure thrash but alot of people are sick to death of that stuff,its been done to death and am glad anthrax have grown into the band that they are today!

if you are sick to death of Thrash then Anthrax def. isn't the right band for you, you could switch to something else.
try this:

what about this?:

you could also hear this if you're sick of Thrash Metal:

Last edited by a moderator: