"you just don't understand"

Krigloch the Furry-ass said:
you obviously havent listened to Meshuggah... :Smug:

I still cant understand your attitude to Meshuggah, first you say they suck, then this ^...

~Neurotica said:
I totally disagree. Yes, I dont say that Meshuggahs music is the top of greatness and nobody in this world can own them. But damn, saying that their music is the easiest in heavy music is some kind of joking probably...
We already had a conversation about it in Mathmetal thread, so no need to say it again I think...
I guess person can say that its nothing really difficult to play - when he can play right the same, play correct. If you can - I'll be your fan too.

The ending riff to new millenium cyanide christ for example is one note for around 1,2 minutes.

The bands music is not hard to play. Meshuggahs music consists of basic single note patterns,mutes,and occasional power chords. Regardless what the hell math music is meshuggahs music is easy so who cares.

Concerning Tool and Meshuggah, you either love them or hate them; there are very few people in between. I personally like Meshuggah, but not Tool, although I do acknowledge their talent as musicians; they're just not for me. Generally speaking, just listen to what you like and don't harp on other people for having an opinion you don't agree with. It's pretty immature.

The Greys said:
The ending riff to new millenium cyanide christ for example is one note for around 1,2 minutes.

The bands music is not hard to play. Meshuggahs music consists of basic single note patterns,mutes,and occasional power chords.

I'm not arguing anymore with you ANYMORE

Regardless what the hell math music is meshuggahs music is easy so who cares.

Its just one simple example, The Greys, so it doesnt count.

Ok, I guess I've said enough about Meshuggahs music complexity in other thread.

And I wasnt gonna argue or fight with you, no way... Its just the discussion of opposite opinions.

Peace

Mumblefood said:
My my theory is if someone is getting a lot of enjoyment out of it, and you aren't, then yes, you don't understand.

Well yes, if the statement was "you just don't understand why I like it", or "you just don't understand it the way I do"... but that wasn't what was said. That is understanding something on a subjective level. An understanding of music is objective.

VampyrRose said:
A while back, I downloaded messhugah's last album....and maybe I don't get it, but its still awful.

A while back, Meshuggas albums are all different. If you'll listen to the first ones - you'll find a lot from Metallica there. Imo the best ones are "Chaosphere" (1998) and "Nothing" (2002).

Shiny McShining Rodriguez said:
Well yes, if the statement was "you just don't understand why I like it", or "you just don't understand it the way I do"... but that wasn't what was said. That is understanding something on a subjective level. An understanding of music is objective.

i must've missed that part. I still stand that it's completely valid for someone to use "you don't understand" as an argument as to why someone doesn't enjoy something they do. Clearly, if they had the same understanding, they would both like it (or hate it)

AsModEe said:
you just don't understand sarcasm do you?

Usually I do. But as english is not my native language - sometimes I just dont get some phrases correct and have to ask again.

~Neurotica said:
Usually I do. But as english is not my native language - sometimes I just dont get some phrases correct and have to ask again.
no worries sis (instead of bro), I was joking around with you with the whole "you just don't understand" stuff.

AsModEe said:
no worries bro, I was joking around with you with the whole "you just don't understand" stuff.

Hehe yea, I gotta stop taking things too serious (and The Greys's words about Meshuggah too) ;)

ps: I'm sis

sorry about that, fixed

I also had a hard time getting everyone's sarcasm on this site (especially on GMD) cause English isn't my native language either. It improves over time.

np =)

To be honest american english is quite understandable for me. But british..... theres where problems start haha. Thats why its pretty difficult sometimes to get what paddy means or other british guys here. Slang matters...

Mumblefood said:
i must've missed that part. I still stand that it's completely valid for someone to use "you don't understand" as an argument as to why someone doesn't enjoy something they do. Clearly, if they had the same understanding, they would both like it (or hate it)

Well again, I would pose the question, what is there to understand?

Mumblefood: Many people could like an album for completely different reasons and understand it in very different ways. Same is true of many people disliking an album. This has nothing to do with sharing an understanding of the music. It could, but not necessarily, unless I'm missing something.

Lyle said:
anyone who thinks any kind of rock-based music is an intellectual exercise is an idiot

That depends on a variety of things. Most specifically one's definition of an "intellectual exercise". I don't feel like getting into a massive debate about this but to me music, like any other medium, can be used to display ideas of varying ingenuity.