Your Gateway Metal Bands

Slayer. First metal album I got and listened to was "Divine Intervention". Found it in a cut out bin.

Probably before that was my step-dad's record collection. Black Sabbath, Deep, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Blue Oyster Cult, Alice Cooper and others...

But my first in my own ventures was Slayer.

I all started with Guns and Roses "Appetite for Destruction".

Then my older cousin showed me and my friends Metallica's Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All.

When I started working (1992) the first album I bought with my first salary was Metallica's Black Album. Still have that CD. Oh boy, I'm getting fucking old.

Metallica --> Megadeth --> Korn --> death metal, a tiny bit of black metal, Pantera --> moar dm and bm, pm, Iron Maiden, etc., etc.

Before the metal, I listened to MC Hammer exclusively.

edit: btw, like a lot of other metal fans around my age, the main thing that got me into death metal was Ace Ventura.

Bought a couple of Fear Factory albums after playing a lot of Test Drive 5 on PS1. Fear Factory led me to Godflesh and Meshuggah. Soulfly to old Sepultura and other great thrash bands.

White Zombie was the first band I got into that at the time would have considered metal.

Metallica and Black Sabbath.

It was 89 and my cousin gave me his copy of Metallica's One and i was hooked.
140.jpg

Soon after i inherited his whole metal collection when he went off to the marines.

led zeppelin -> rammstein, white zombie -> children of bodom -> everything

i dunno, bodom is still my favorite band and i think my musical taste is alright

Bought a couple of Fear Factory albums after playing a lot of Test Drive 5 on PS1. Fear Factory led me to Godflesh and Meshuggah. Soulfly to old Sepultura and other great thrash bands.

Funny that you mention test drive 5. I remember hearing the Fear Factory songs on there, and then a few years after, I checked out the band for nostalgia purposes, and totally got into them.

slipknot to SOAD to Cannibal Corpse then the rest of metal.

SOAD was a big one for me. Those bands get a lot of shit on the forums, but it isn't bad for it's genre. In fact, Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory is pretty good for Nu Metal and Sliknot's S/T is good. I have limited interest in Nu Metal, so I limit myself to Slipknot, Linkin Park, and SOAD. Shit like Korn and Limp Bizkit I just can't get into,

I listened to stuff like Korn and Metallica when I was 14-15. However, I really got into metal through gothic music. Was listening to a lot of goth and I got turned on to Anathema and My Dying Bride. From there I found Opeth, which appealed to my growing taste for prog rock. Soon after I got into black metal, and from there it was over.

Bigwig (punk band) covered a Slayer song
then went on to check out Slayer
busted out my Master of Puppets disk
Shadows Fall were in there very early too.
mp3.com and heard Nile, and got a Cannibal Corpse disk for free from a friend.
all downhill from there.

In the late 80s (im born 1980) I was already listening to Kiss, Twisted Sister, Bon Jovi.
'90-'95 I got into Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, went on to Slayer, Pantera, Fear Factory, Sepultura.. and since Im from Sweden I naturally found and got totally hooked on Entombed, Dismember, Amorphis and also Paradise Lost, Anathema, Samael, Death.

I found most bands through Headbangers Ball which was kickass back then. Venessa Warwick was an awesome host.

SOAD was a big one for me. Those bands get a lot of shit on the forums, but it isn't bad for it's genre. In fact, Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory is pretty good for Nu Metal and Sliknot's S/T is good. I have limited interest in Nu Metal, so I limit myself to Slipknot, Linkin Park, and SOAD. Shit like Korn and Limp Bizkit I just can't get into,

I'll always say that Slipknot, SOAD, and Korn were all legitimately good and original bands early on in their careers. Slipknot and Korn's first two are gold. When System got into their Hypnotize/Mezmorize era is where I began to fall off the wagon. Every so often I'll listen to those bands I'm not ashamed to say it.