Your Gateway Metal Bands

I'll always say that Slipknot, SOAD, and Korn were all legitimately good and original bands early on in their careers. Slipknot and Korn's first two are gold. When System got into their Hypnotize/Mezmorize era is where I began to fall off the wagon. Every so often I'll listen to those bands I'm not ashamed to say it.

True. Toxicity was a great album. I love their Mezmerize/Hypnotize albums because they are pretty abstract and trippy at times. Slipknots first album is the only one I can really get into because of the good production, and the Death Metal influence.

I can't think of anything by Korn, SOAD, or Slipknot that I derive enjoyment from. Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory is pretty good though.

Untouchables is probably my favorite Korn album. Their early stuff may be more original and important, but on that one they dropped a lot of the scratching and moaning and stuff. For heavy groovy stuffs it suits me just fine.

Metallica --> Slipknot --> Cannibal Corpse --> everything else death metal now

The Offspring (not-metal) -> Guns N Roses -> Rage Against The Machine -> Metallica -> Judas Priest -> Anything and everything (mostly thrash though).

Well, I listened to country and ummm....Skillet before I got into metal. Heard Iron Man. Got Metallica and Pantera. Liked Slipknot and 2 Korn songs, which I still enjoy on a marginal level. Then moved to thrash and straight to brutal death metal. Now all I really listen to is death metal lol.

Metallica. Heard Fade to Black, picked up a copy of Puppets. Started buying anything metal...got into some nu-metal (Godsmack and Disturbed) at that point but didn't like it that much, also started listening to Pantera, Megadeth, and Slayer. Branched out a bit...Maiden, Priest, and a few others, but I couldn't listen to anything with harsh vocals. Then I got a copy of In Flames - The Jester Race. That got me past harsh vocals. From there I got into melodic death metal, more aggressive thrash, black, and death.

This is a silly argument, but I don't see how anyone in their right musical mind could place Linkin Park above Korn, Slipknot or System of a Down.

Untouchables is probably my favorite Korn album. Their early stuff may be more original and important, but on that one they dropped a lot of the scratching and moaning and stuff. For heavy groovy stuffs it suits me just fine.

I didn't mind that album actually.

For me i was into Metallica/Maiden/GnR and naturally progressed on to Slayer/Pantera and the Roadrunner bands (Machine Head, FF, Type O Negative etc)..

my gateway was a very obscure demo tape from a portuguese band called Disembowel.

It was so long ago, but judging by posts from th depths of my terrible past here it was System Of A Down who got me into anything remotely heavy first. Then followed Trivium I think, then a shitload of everything.