Your last purchase??

Fates takes time and seems to have to hit the right mood, there is some stuff on Inside Out I really, really like. Still Life the only one I dont have, thats live or what ?

Yeah, Still Life is live, and a 2cd set as well. I've downloaded some of their older stuff, and figured it was worth a shot.

I've been thinking I want to get that PSOG DVD I watch clips from on youtube, what powerful piece of music... to me anyhow.

Fates Warning -Inside Out, and Still Life

Inside Out didn't sound too promising, with the exception of Inward Bound and Down to the Wire, haven't listened to Still Life yet.

Bummer, I would say Inside Out is possibly their weakest record, but I love everything by them so IMO it's still a fantastic listen. Don't give up on it - Afterglow and Island in the Stream are awesome.

I love PSOG

For sure, a great album.

can anyone tell me anything about Phantom's Opera? I had a chance to buy a used cd of theirs, but wanted to get a little info about their sound and so forth first, but I can't seem to find much online.

can anyone tell me anything about Phantom's Opera? I had a chance to buy a used cd of theirs, but wanted to get a little info about their sound and so forth first, but I can't seem to find much online.

Never listened to them - I had the name confused with Beggars Opera for a second. :/

Just bought two King Crimson records, Thrak and Beat. If only you could find all albums that easy/cheap...

Never listened to them - I had the name confused with Beggars Opera for a second. :/

Just bought two King Crimson records, Thrak and Beat. If only you could find all albums that easy/cheap...

I found a copy of Beat for $2.00 brand new once. I should have haggled it down to 50 cents...

I last bought fried dumplings from the Chinese food restaurant and Peter F. Hamilton - The Neutronium Alchemist.

I must not have heard enough but I cant really get excited about King Crimson, what am I missing ? Probably time with a full album ? the song Court was just OK to me throughout life, 21st century annoys me somehow, maybe I need to score a 2$ copy of something. Genesis doesnt appeal alot either.

I think King Crimson is an acquired taste. A lot of their early records (Islands and Starless and Bible Black, for example) venture into some pretty strange territory. I actually understand why some people just don't like them.

However, I do recommend The Power To Believe. It's King Crimson's answer to newer prog metal!

Crack the SKY ! Im tellin ya... because they ROCK too.

I like Genesis but old guitar rocker that I am they just dont get down and dirty enough. Thus why Im more Rush, Kansas, Crack and fusion which is an aquired taste too. I do alright with ELP and they dont even have much guitar work, just Greg Lakes most awesome acoustic songs and so long as Emerson isnt trying to solo the instrumentals sound great.

I think I'd have to agree that its the early Crimson that flys off the wall (experimental) where they lose me. Must be the albums mentioned are later ?

Gentle Giant works better but I only sampled a few songs, they are on my to buy list.

Way back we had this old progressive conversation and I remembered a band called "The Flock" that Jerry Goodman came out of before joining the Mahavishnu. There is now quite a few songs on youtube and I found it interesting to revisit that music, worth a check out. I forget the names of best songs to listen to they were interesting but also go wack -(to) totally tasteless at times but still quite interesting and needless to say Goodman is the shining star, I still say he was metal before metal was cool, all about the shred... on a violin and looked the part.

Also Colosseum I heard of but only recently checked out (on youtube) and think they were pretty damn good, a bit more jazz/fusion with brass but great vocals from Chris Farlow and enough rock to keep me happy. Those Brits were at it during the same period as ELP, Yes and these other early proggers but I believe never made the splash across the ocean. Again I forget the song that caught my attention.

I must not have heard enough but I cant really get excited about King Crimson, what am I missing ? Probably time with a full album ? the song Court was just OK to me throughout life, 21st century annoys me somehow, maybe I need to score a 2$ copy of something. Genesis doesnt appeal alot either.

Hmm, everything from Discipline onward is much tighter than the first half of their discography. If you haven't heard Discipline or The Power to Believe, you should give them a try. The main reason I like KC is because they're great musicians with high standards - their albums are very consistent because of quality control. And I love all the dissonances and polyrhythms they use. Lots of good ideas in one band.

Check out Red. That album is fucking killer other than the kind of "go nowhere" track that starts off side two. Starless is an amazing album closer though. Phenominal

Providence? I love that track :D David Cross is great.

Hmm, everything from Discipline onward is much tighter than the first half of their discography. If you haven't heard Discipline or The Power to Believe, you should give them a try.

Im ashamed to say it only shows how ignorant and sheltered I have been. I always think of them as a old band that was done when Lake left, a "old" band that predated my listening awareness. I need a momma slap...