YOUR TOP 5 GUITARISTS OF ALL TIME

1. Steve Vai: Steve is defiantly one of the most versatile guitarists ever to grace this planet. Hes got it all - From speed picking to double-handed multi finger tapping I doubt there is anything he can’t do with the guitar.
Moment: For the love of god

2. John Petrucci: Undoubtedly the master of speed picking – a technically brilliant guitarist
Moment: A change of seasons. Solo after “won't let them push me away”- starts with the slide. Very un-petrucci-like solo but my favourite.

3. Marty Freedman: Silky smooth player who wrote some unbelievable solos in his time with Megadeth – pity he’s happy playing pop music in Japan
Moment: Tornado of souls

4: Dime: The riff-master general and a mean solo player - reinvented metal guitar playing
Moment: Cemetery gates

5: Dave Mustaine: Not the world’s best guitarist by a long shot – a thrash metal pioneer and a master songwriter
Moment: Mechanix

Moonlapse said:
5. Jesper (In Flames)

I've always liked his leads and solos. He has an approach to soloing that isn't all about speed, but more about the actual melody. Has written some great solos such as the 'December Flower' one.

you think jesper wrote december flower? :err:

and heres my five...

1. reine fiske - nobody else like him. my absolute all time favorite.
shining moments: solo on "Sluta Folja Efter", and his rendition of "quiet drops"

2. steve howe - master at his craft...and the best "acoustic" knack in rock.
shining moments: "yours is no disgrace", "mood for a day" and "turn of the century"

3. steve hackett - probably the first "neo-classical" guitarist...for when that label actually had some meaning. divine melody sense, and all around skill.
shining moments: "ace of wands", "dancing with the moonlit knight" and " the musical box"

4. alex lifeson - often overlooked, and a unique contributor with an instrument which is usually at the forefront. always taking a backseat with his true abilities for the greater good of the music.
shining moments: "subdivisions", "the trees", "leave that thing alone" and "2112"

5. ritchie blackmore - the quintessential hard rock guitarist. laid a lot of groundwork for most of the favorites previously listed here.
shining moments: "kill the king", "stormbringer", "smoke on the water" and "burn"

and tons of honorable mentions or people who should be on there as well (latimer, iommi, schenker, drake, loomis, johnson, etc)

1. Nick Drake - I've never heard anyone play guitar like him. Makes one guitar sounds like three and was just overall a master of what he did. A true loss at 26.

Shining moment: anything, but probably Hazey Jane I or Free Ride.

2. David Gilmour - Made me want to play guitar. His tone and phrasing is just amazing and instantly recognizable. To me Gilmour can do no wrong.

Shining moment: Shine you crazy diamond and Time.

3. Mikael Akerfeldt - Musical genius and will one day be regarded as one of the most important guitarists/song-writers of our time. His solos are amazing, but I think his knack for fusing together myriad styles and genres within his song-writing is just incredible.

Shining moment: jeez.. Godhead's lament, windowpane, and patterns in the ivy II.. but pretty much anything.

4. Trey Anastasio - Incredible guitarist and songwriter. Trey's talents are endless and he's amazing to watch live. His ability to improvise and phrase notes is just awe-inspiring.

Shining moment: Maze and Rift.. also You Enjoy Myself.

5. Jimmy Page - Wow. Jimmy could get rather sloppy at times, but his songwriting is just out of this world. Anything from Zep II until Physical Graffitti is gold. Phenomical blues player and his soloing is legendary. I don't know if there's anything that can be said that hasn't been said about JP.

Shining moment: Stairway to Heaven and Rain song.

Honourables include: Latimer, Clapton, Adam Jones, Duane Allman, and Jesper.

glenn from the old in flames days wrote december flower, you can see him play it in the Live in Kohn bootleg(1996). Pretty sweet bootleg actually, they're young as shit

errrmm....

Marty Friedman - Love his middle eastern sounding scales and bends SM=Hangar 18, Holy wars

Joe Satriani - Amazing, can actually whistle along with his solos, almost like he can make the guitar sing verse and chorus. SM= Ice 9

Dave Gilmour - Lovely bends, tons of feel. SM= Comfortable Numb

Jeff Loomis - Amazing riffs and shredding, but also nice melodies. SM=Godless Endeavour, I, Voyager, River Dragon

Jeff Hanneman - Probably one of the greatest writers of the metal riff of all time. SM= Angel Of Death, Postmortem, Raining Blood

No order...

Mike...

Quorthon - Black metal godfather. Also, he does mean solos. RIP.

Ihsahn - As above really. Awesome riffs.

Jason Becker - Brilliant young shred guitarist. Pity now completely immobile.

Ummm I'm sure there's another...

Jason Becker
Marty Friedman
John Petrucci (but before 2000 please..)
Erkan Ogur (from turkey)
Paul Gilbert

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Commence the flaming.
FLAME ON! :lol:

1. Steve Rothery (Marillion)
2. Piotr Grundzinski (Riverside)
3. Criss Oliva (Savatage)
4. Carlos (Santana)
5. Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

in no order.
Just short:
Alex Lifeson (who depending on the day could be top 5.)

Eric Johnson (a.k.a. The Texas Twister)
An unbelievable talented and advanced guitarist in any style (for the
exception of metal =)). His songs may not be the best, but his playing!
Crazy shreds, amazing solos, tasty riffs and the way he accompany himself is
amazing! And always with great feel, precision and perfect tone.
Eric Johnson can take on Joe Satriani, Steve Vai (lol) - or any other guitarist
for that matter - anytime, anywhere! No-one can pull off all the things
he does with a single Strat (at once) imo!
Shining moments: Zenland, S.R.V. and A song for life.

Steve Howe (Yes, GTR, Asia, etc.)
An amazing guitarist to say the least. Extremely innovative and special.
I love how he always seem to favour the top frets (high notes) in solos and
riffs :) He's playing rock for Christ's sake! :) But he makes it work and he
always seem come up with great leads and riffs. The fact that he's completely
self-taught makes one go: "yeah, well, that figures!" He does things in his own
way! Respect! :)
Shining moments: Roundabout, but pretty much everything he's done
is worth listening to.

Mikael Åkerfeldt (Of ... Hmm... Uhh... Now I forgot :))
I can't even being to explain how much I love this guy! :) He's just so gifted
I don't know where to start. It's not only that he's a great guitarist, per se,
but he's also responsible for some of the most excellent songs ever! I've got
to say, I love his guitar-playing: the use of rhythm and feeling is breathtaking!
No question. The way he combined his fantastic musicality and other styles'
created something completely unique. He's a pure genius.
Shining moments: Hahah! You know it's everything. But one song I
really enjoy and that shows off his musicality is A fair judgement.

Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple)
Incredible guitarist. Have created some of the most famous riffs and leads ever!
Great phrasing in solos and that scraping when he lets a tone ring.
This one of the great men behind Åkerfeldts playing! He was/is a God!
Shining moments: Wasted sunsets.

Jimi Hendrix (The legend =)
HA! This man is the KING! 'Nuff said.
Shining moments: Yes, of course, all the time... And Purple haze.

Cliche Kid said:
Jack White
Dimebag Daryll
Devin Townsend
Gary Moore
Jimmi "motherfucking" Hendrix

JACK WHITE??!!

I saw him in concert (ok, ok, free ticket and a friend wanted someone to go with) and he fucking SUCKED mounds of putresent dog shit. Too many mistakes to count and was just awful, it was painful.

Surely Jimmi Page should be in there instead of him (if you wanted a sloppy guitar player)?

Scott Ian
For putting the rythm guys on the map.

Not a fan of solos just to have solos.