YOUR TOP 5 GUITARISTS OF ALL TIME

1.) Jimi Hendrix-- VooDoo Chile1 and (slight return) baddest songs ever."mountain lion's found me there, and put me on an eagle's back." 2.) Stevie Ray Vaughn--I am not a guitar player,but I know what I like, and not many did it better than Vaughn. 3.) Roy Buchanan--made his guitar cry and whine, without the effects used today.4) Andrew Latimer--the most beautiful tone I have heard, ethereal.5.) Steve Hackett--otherwordly, especially his classical acoustic "Live in Sicily." There are so many excellent guitarists: Carlos Santana,Rory Gallagher, Clapton, John Mclaughlin, Al DiMeola,Jeff Beck,Johnny Winter and young guns--Derek Trucks and Joe Bonnamassa. Peace.

But my all time favourite is...

"Jerry Garcia" :D RIP. :(

If you haven't heard of him, well copy n paste into google, including the quotation marks...

All will be revealed! :)

Kir-ir-Bannog said:
JACK WHITE??!!

I saw him in concert (ok, ok, free ticket and a friend wanted someone to go with) and he fucking SUCKED mounds of putresent dog shit. Too many mistakes to count and was just awful, it was painful.

Surely Jimmi Page should be in there instead of him (if you wanted a sloppy guitar player)?

Maybe you caught him on a bad day....i've seen him 3 times and he was perfect. What impressed me the most was his ability to shift and change his instruments so rapidly, changing tones and speeds, singing whilst dancing around like a mad man...he is a fucking genius!

Cliche Kid said:
Maybe you caught him on a bad day....i've seen him 3 times and he was perfect. What impressed me the most was his ability to shift and change his instruments so rapidly, changing tones and speeds, singing whilst dancing around like a mad man...he is a fucking genius!

Genius? Totally disagree. His guitar work is monotonous, uninspiring and extremely basic. To have him in your top five instead of Page is ludiculous.

Dimebag Darrell is THE BEST.
Its a shame he died, Fuck Nathan Gale. He killed a legend.Dimebag is the ultimate guitarist that ever lived, Pantera are the best band. I worship them. Dimebag Darrell is my idol.

Dr Pepper said:
Dimebag Darrell is THE BEST.
Its a shame he died, Fuck Nathan Gale. He killed a legend.Dimebag is the ultimate guitarist that ever lived, Pantera are the best band. I worship them. Dimebag Darrell is my idol.
:erk:

JasonBecker said:
Erkan Ogur (from turkey)

and i presume you're not turkish? he's said to be the inventor of the fretless electric guitar. im so sure people on this forum would be so blown away if they listened to him just once. where do you know about him?

and my top-five resembles that of BurningSky here:

nick drake
mikael akerfeldt
david guilmor
billy howerdel (he did his best work in mer de noms and hasnt been writing such riffs ever since, and thats a shame)

but only one name, only one man can be the best ----------> jimi hendrix
so much soul and color in his playing...like music pumped full of acid and ecstasy

Moonlapse said:
My PERSONAL favourites are:

1. Mike

He's just plain tasteful. He can write a great solo over almost anything and add his own blues-influenced touch. Sounds very Latimer influenced and has great legato and note choice.

2. Allan Holdsworth

This guy is a machine. His approach to the instrument is more like a saxophonist. He has the best legato playing, bar none and his atonal runs and ability to solo over different keys is just a signature of a great musician.

3. Jeff Loomis

Great metal shred guitar player. Can play fast and can play solid. Not much more to say.

4. Latimer

Very cool note choice. I like his playing simply because it seems to be such a big influence on Mike. All-round just pleasant to listen to... great leads.

5. Jesper (In Flames)

I've always liked his leads and solos. He has an approach to soloing that isn't all about speed, but more about the actual melody. Has written some great solos such as the 'December Flower' one.

You should check out the latest Derek Sherinian release "Mythology". Its got, Holdsworth and he rips it up! Also got Zakk Wylde among others..
All Sherinians albums are great!!:headbang:

Just to throw my list into the ring;

Mikael Akerfeldt
-Beautifal mix of metal and blues
Zakk Wylde
-more for his thick as grooves than his solo's
John Petrucci
-Technical wizard
Jeff Martin
-Jim Morrison meets Jimi Hendrix
Dave Navarro
-Deconstruction is a beautiful album. Layers upon layers

Stimuli said:
TREY ANASTASIO - best jamband guitarist ever. once again, another guitarist who just phrases his lines better than basically everyone...the way he brings his music out to the furthest dimensions while never sacrificing the almighty groove. funk, blues, jazz, bebop, country, soul and hard rock... he is a true master of them all...

Birds of A Feather, Punch You In the Eye
So many people hate Phish because of their label as a jam band, but I love them. The entire album Story Of The Ghost is wonderful musicianship.

Harvest Hound said:
Just to throw my list into the ring;

Mikael Akerfeldt
-Beautifal mix of metal and blues
Zakk Wylde
-more for his thick as grooves than his solo's
John Petrucci
-Technical wizard
Jeff Martin
-Jim Morrison meets Jimi Hendrix
Dave Navarro
-Deconstruction is a beautiful album. Layers upon layers

What band is jeff Martin from?

AnewKINDofFEELIN said:
So many people hate Phish because of their label as a jam band, but I love them. The entire album Story Of The Ghost is wonderful musicianship.

Yeah, they really have some good material... I'm not a fan of jambands at all but Phish have some pretty decent stuff.
Anywho, my 5 favorite guitarists (in no particular order) and I'm leaving out Akerfeldt since well, it is the Opeth forum and we already know he rules.

Jason Becker- Why is it that he hasn't been mentioned yet? One of the greatest guitarists to ever live, no doubt about it. He played in Cacophony along with Marty Friedman and released a number of solo albums... My personal favorite is 'Perpetual Burn'.

Kiko Loureiro- Simply a great all around guitarist. He writes amazing solos in terms of technicallity and feeling and plays anything from jazz to metal to flamenco. Great stuff indeed. Pick up his solo album, 'No Gravity,' or any of Angra's material, especially 'Temple of Shadows'.

Greg Howe- Amazing jazz/shred guitarist... Don't really know what else to say about him; I just really enjoy his playing a lot. I really like his album 'Ascend.'

Ritchie Blackmore- I really don't like him for his work in Deep Purple that much... but rather Blackmore's Night... His acoustic playing is simply phenomenal. In addition to that he plays a fair number of folk instruments as well. So yeah, pick up pretty much any Blackmore's Night album if you're into folk at all.

Bobby Jarzombek- Probably the most technical guitarist ever. Seriously fucking amazing. Not all that pleasant to listen to sometimes but the technicality of it is beyond measure.