YOUR TOP 5 GUITARISTS OF ALL TIME

Bard In The Forest said:
Yeah, they really have some good material... I'm not a fan of jambands at all but Phish have some pretty decent stuff.
Anywho, my 5 favorite guitarists (in no particular order) and I'm leaving out Akerfeldt since well, it is the Opeth forum and we already know he rules.

Jason Becker- Why is it that he hasn't been mentioned yet? One of the greatest guitarists to ever live, no doubt about it. He played in Cacophony along with Marty Friedman and released a number of solo albums... My personal favorite is 'Perpetual Burn'.

Kiko Loureiro- Simply a great all around guitarist. He writes amazing solos in terms of technicallity and feeling and plays anything from jazz to metal to flamenco. Great stuff indeed. Pick up his solo album, 'No Gravity,' or any of Angra's material, especially 'Temple of Shadows'.

Greg Howe- Amazing jazz/shred guitarist... Don't really know what else to say about him; I just really enjoy his playing a lot. I really like his album 'Ascend.'

Ritchie Blackmore- I really don't like him for his work in Deep Purple that much... but rather Blackmore's Night... His acoustic playing is simply phenomenal. In addition to that he plays a fair number of folk instruments as well. So yeah, pick up pretty much any Blackmore's Night album if you're into folk at all.

Bobby Jarzombek- Probably the most technical guitarist ever. Seriously fucking amazing. Not all that pleasant to listen to sometimes but the technicality of it is beyond measure.

Oh yeah, another Kiko fan. He is simply incredible, but i wouldnt forget about Raphael, hes not as tecnically skilled but is one hell of a player, writes some beautiful solo's.

Misc
--------------------------------
Stanley Jordan
Andres' Segovia (google him and drool)
Pat Methany
Jeff Healey

Blues
-------------------------------
Robert Johnson
BB King (and Lucille)
John Lee Hooker
Sam Maghett - better than Jimi Hendrix if he would have lived
Albert King

Classic Rock
--------------------------------

Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Eric Clapton
Jeff Beck
Stevie Ray Vaughn

Rock/Metal
---------------------------------------------------
Mattias Ekhlund of Freak Kitchen (If you want to hear some great shit, Google "Freak Guitar")

Chris Poland
Buckethead
Bumblefoot
Alex Skolnick of Testament / Alex Skolnick Trio

Metal
--------------------------------------------------
Kerry King / Jeff Hanneman of Slayer
Mikael of Opeth
Mark Morton / Willie Adler of Lamb of God
Jeff Loomis of Nevermore
Sean Baker of The Sean Baker Orchestra

Death Metal
------------------------------------------------
Abaddon - Venom
Piggy - Early Voivod

too stoned to think more.

Bard In The Forest said:
Yeah, they really have some good material... I'm not a fan of jambands at all but Phish have some pretty decent stuff.
Anywho, my 5 favorite guitarists (in no particular order) and I'm leaving out Akerfeldt since well, it is the Opeth forum and we already know he rules.

Jason Becker- Why is it that he hasn't been mentioned yet? One of the greatest guitarists to ever live, no doubt about it. He played in Cacophony along with Marty Friedman and released a number of solo albums... My personal favorite is 'Perpetual Burn'.

Kiko Loureiro- Simply a great all around guitarist. He writes amazing solos in terms of technicallity and feeling and plays anything from jazz to metal to flamenco. Great stuff indeed. Pick up his solo album, 'No Gravity,' or any of Angra's material, especially 'Temple of Shadows'.

Greg Howe- Amazing jazz/shred guitarist... Don't really know what else to say about him; I just really enjoy his playing a lot. I really like his album 'Ascend.'

Ritchie Blackmore- I really don't like him for his work in Deep Purple that much... but rather Blackmore's Night... His acoustic playing is simply phenomenal. In addition to that he plays a fair number of folk instruments as well. So yeah, pick up pretty much any Blackmore's Night album if you're into folk at all.

Bobby Jarzombek- Probably the most technical guitarist ever. Seriously fucking amazing. Not all that pleasant to listen to sometimes but the technicality of it is beyond measure.

CORRECTION!!!! Bobby Jarzombek is one of the best metal drummers ever (click on here to see video... the man is SIIIIICCCKK, and his brother Ron Jarzombek is the guitar player. Truly one of the most underrated guitarists ever.

wow... admittedly, i did skip the first pages, but i havent seen one MARK KNOPFLER (how the fuck do i spell that?:O) mentioned...

mark knopfler (dire straits),
jimmy page (led zeppelin)
ritchie blackmore (deep purple)
peter lindgren (i dont know why, i just find myself more attracted to his playing than mikes)
dimebag darrell abbot (LEGEND)

no particular order

hendrix and clapton both deserve a mention as well i guess:p

Vai, Petrucci, Page ..and perhaps Zakk .. but I think Slash is #1 for me.

He alone got me into guitar and is the reason why I swear by Gibson and own Les Pauls. :)

Don Corleone said:
and i presume you're not turkish? he's said to be the inventor of the fretless electric guitar. im so sure people on this forum would be so blown away if they listened to him just once. where do you know about him?

i m turk.and you r right,if the forum listened,they d just be blown away

I've been playing guitar for fifteen years now, and these are my abiding top 5 (in no particular order):

1. Richard Thompson: His acoustic playing is spectacular (he self-accompanies better than anyone I've heard) but his electric playing is what really does it for me. Simply incendiary. His harmonic/melodic sense is so idiosyncratic. Best songwriter on the planet, to boot.

2. Bill Frisell: Like Thompson, one of those guys who plays notes that I don't seem to have on my guitar. Fantastic phrasing, hip tones, ridiculous improvisations.

3. Jeff Beck: Muscular yet lyrical. Again, great tones, unpredictable phrasing, very vocal.

4. Mikael Akerfeldt: Great feel, very melodic solos.

5. Michael Romeo: So fluid, and always melodic, even at 300 mph.

NP: Death "The Sound of Perseverance"

I would be remiss if I forgot Mikael Akerfeldt. Seeing him live has convinced me he is one of the best guitarists working today. Only 5 is tough: Robert Fripp,Robin Trower, Peter Green, Albert King, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, Luther Allison,Mick Taylor, Ronnie Wood,Walter Trout, Pat Travers,B.B. King,Kenny Wayne Shepard, Frank Marino,Piotr Grudzinzki, Steve Howe, Niall Matthewson,Markus Steffen and on and on; I have enjoyed all these guitarist. They have all impacted my music listening.Peace.

Jimi Hendrix- No one, no one has and ever will come close to the sheer genius of Hendrix. Not only did he play guitar solos that were innovative, emotional, and grondbreaking all at once, he used his guitar as a sort of paintbrush to color his songs with different sounds, atmospheres, etc. In his career, he blended blues, jazz, rock, r&b, and even touched on classical (check out "Woodstock Improvisation.", or "Hey Baby", which has a classical ring to it.) The best guitarist who ever lived, because unlike most great guitarists, he didn't just play good guitar solos, he wrote amazing songs.
Shining Moment: "Star Spangled Banner", "Machine Gun", or "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" are the ones that most display his mastery of the guitar.

Stevie Ray Vaughan- Outstanding blues guitarist who basically reinvented the blues, and defined it as it is today. You can hear him get close to Hendrix, sometimes, in terms of astonishing and emotional playing. He was not much of a songwriter, but surely the best guitarist of all time after Hendrix.
Shining Moment- Anything from the "Live at the El Mocambo" performance.

Those are my two main favorite guitar players. No one else really quite matches them but here are some others that are great guitarists too: Carlos Santana (soulful, passionate, influentual), Mikael Akerfeldt (bluesy, great playing), Nick Drake (incredible acoustic guitar playing, very precise and extremely beautiful), B.B. King (said so much with so few notes), Albert King (like a more intense B.B.)

I read a statement by Robert Fripp, cant remember where, but I'll paraphrase what he said,"Jimi Hendrix played the guitar like no one before or since. He had away of conveying his spirit through his playing where no one else is even close. I feel Jimi did a disservice to up and coming guitarists because everyone including me tried to emulate him, and his technique was horrible. He was sloppy too, but truly genius." We all know that Fripp is a freak when it comes to technique,even today he believes you must practice, practice and practice. Jimi was self-taught and everything he did was all his own. IMO, that is one thing that makes him so amazing. I still remember the first song I heard by Hendrix, if 6 was 9. I thought to meself what the Fuck was that! A monumental moment in my musical life. Peace.:OMG:

Kelly Shaefer/Rand Burkey: They have so much technicality and so melodic it's just so amazing. The first time I heard Unquestionable presence I was like OMG Can you do that with a guitar.
SM: Unquestionable Presence

The Almighty: Mikeal fuckin' shreds

Jeff Hanneman/Kerry King: They flow so well together and are fast and heavy, yet melodic at the same time.
SM: Reign in Blood

Dimebag Darrel: Sheer amazment. R.I.P. Dimebag.
SM: Cowboys From Hell

Evil Chuck: The best in death metal. I'm still trying to get over his death.:cry:
R.I.P. Chuck
SM: Symbolic

Mikael Åkerfeldt / Peter Lindgren- Excellent team in the old days and they still complement each other very well. Mikael seems to be more of the "feel" guy and Peter seems to be more of the "technique" guy and I think that contrast provides for brilliant music.

Pat Metheny
- Such fluid, melodic, and almost vocal lines. Not only is his technique wildly technical but his composing is very enthralling. Also, his phrasing is instantly recognizable, and I would argue that his tone is one of the most copied tones in the history of electric guitar.

John Petrucci
- Last few albums have been mediocre riffing and boring shred-for-the-sake-of-shredding solos, but no one can argue the genius guitar work of Images and Words or Awake.

Ron Jarzombeck
- Total machine, but I've yet to see many people with such technical merit and mechanical/cacophonous style playing outside traditional scales and modes.

Jim Matheos- Proves that so much can be done with so little on albums like A Pleasant Shade of Grey.

Others that come to mind: Robert Fripp / Adrian Belew, Daniel Gildenlow, Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Marcel Coenen, Jeff Loomis, Latimer, Al Dimeola.

SRV - The way this man played will never be matched. Tone + Bends + Vibrato + Phrasing ...etc. = Top rock/blues guy ever
Shines on Little Wing and In Step(whole damn record)

Satch - Innovator and defender of the shredder's faith. Has the skills to play anything you ever thought of.
Shines live in you ever get the chance, do not pass it up.

Dime - Unique and accessible, the riffs and solo work from this genius will last forever.
Shines- Pantera n'uff said

Yngwie - The guy that you secretly wish you could sound like. That vibrato and tone are pure and simply amazing, not to mention the blazing speed and phrasing (which I dig), writes amazing solos. My fave soloist.
Shines on Rising Force

Mike - A very tasteful player and musician. From the heaviest of heavy to subtle atmospheric fills he has got it all. Has a recognizable style and sound that allows his writing to become greater as the years go by.
Shines on the new album, I don't hear enough people giving it enough hell yeahs! lately. But he always shines.