YT: Match EQ and IR Tutorial!

The kick is a sample that I recorded myself and I don't want to share it in public. But I'll PM it to you for liking it. :D

Just want to say that this is the most useful thing I have ever learnt on here. For years I've been frustrated about guitar tone and how I can never get a tone I like, now I can! Thank you so much

No problem FTM, I like to share. I like to think that if all things were free in this world and money wasn't power, this world would be a lot better. But hey... match EQ will not save the planet... yet! :D

Hey guys:

Match EQ this tone! It's the best KsE tone. You can rip that track from YouTube. Google it, don't ask how.

Last edited by a moderator:
WAAAY ahead of you ;-)

Playing is a touch sloppy, but Match EQ got me excited. I got the template from Reject Yourself, where the guitar is soloed before the first verse. The resulting waveforms look quite different when you take the template from different songs.

Edit: Should say they look different from different songs on the same album.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4855778/KSE tone test match eq.mp3

Tried the EOH tone from When Darkness Falls

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4855778/KSE tone test match eq 2.mp3

I also did some PWD tones too

KWAS http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4855778/KWAS Tone test.mp3

Horizons http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4855778/Tone test 2.mp3

I think the Horizons tone worked the best out them all IMO. What I've found about getting these tones, is that since I now have them I don't really want them anymore :lol: The fun was in the chase, as it were.

Haha... cool. I've actually match EQ'd that tone a lot earlier. (it was shown in the other YT video) :) Just thought that some people might not find it. It can also be found in the Guitar Hero tracks. I gave the URL for that also in the second video. A lot of cool stuff down there. :)

I know the feeling you get hunting these tones. Like "these guys spent so many hours and so much money on these tones and I can just rip them off". :)

I'm actually running my live setup with match EQ right now. My POD HD500 (which has NO usable cabs) has high quality amp models and it can also run as a recording interface. So I stole my girlfriends laptop. Connected my POD HD500 into it via USB and use Boogex with matched IRs. So basically I run all my patches with NO CAB and use a matched IR instead. So now I can literally walk on stage carrying my whole rig: Guitar bag, POD HD500 and a mini laptop.

It's not a lot of work. Carrying a real amp and cab on stage and mic'ing it up etc. THAT is a lot of work. :D

Like "these guys spent so many hours and so much money on these tones and I can just rip them off". :)

lol you're fuckin weird and creepy.. you keep talking about "million dollar tones" "now i sound just like paramore, kse, petrucci.." "these guys spent so many hours and so much money on these tones and I can just rip them off" lmao it means NOTHING... and you didnt invented it.

Well that won't give you the "exact" same tone. It'll give you a tone that's got similar EQ balance but it won't survive an A/B test. Just play more accurately and you can drop the smooth all the way down. Another reason why smoothing on zero won't work would be the fact that you didn't tune your guitar before the process. Smoothing works on clean parts since they are pretty much impossible to match EQ. :) But hey, there are no rules. Use it in a way that suits you best!

You may be right, but, i had the guitar riifs on loop, and i was adjusting the smoothing fader to the point where it sounded completely identical. When I had it all the way it was fizzier for me, sharp spikes, so i just left it at an area where it sounded best. There have been other situations where it didnt work out as well, every situation is different :)

lol you're fuckin weird and creepy.. you keep talking about "million dollar tones" "now i sound just like paramore, kse, petrucci.." "these guys spent so many hours and so much money on these tones and I can just rip them off" lmao it means NOTHING... and you didnt invented it.

It does mean something to me to have professional tones in my DAW. No I didn't invent the tones nor did the artists who I'm ripping off. It's the engineers and reampers etc. who made the tones. I'm more an artist than an engineer so this is perfect for me. The reason f.ex. KsE have consistent high quality albums is the budget we don't have. It's not because they make good tones... They got reamped.

You don't get tones like that with shitty interfaces and a few years experience. And frankly... I'd rather concentrate on the music.

The Horizons tone is aboslutly spot on! HOw did you go about getting it? (amp sim etc) ive been after it for a while

Got a few questions for you Clark
With this EQ capturing we are only getting what is essentially a shot of the sounds at a particular moment in time.
If the guitar player we are trying to emulate is using reverb how can we accurately model their sound? Take Van Halen, first album, guitar is drenched in reverb, how would you approach modelling that sound? would you capture the EQ and then read up on the gear he used and take it from there? If so do you know of any websites that document guitar and amp gear used on records?

Got a few questions for you Clark
With this EQ capturing we are only getting what is essentially a shot of the sounds at a particular moment in time.
If the guitar player we are trying to emulate is using reverb how can we accurately model their sound? Take Van Halen, first album, guitar is drenched in reverb, how would you approach modelling that sound? would you capture the EQ and then read up on the gear he used and take it from there? If so do you know of any websites that document guitar and amp gear used on records?

You are capturing the spectrum of what happens at a particular moment. You try to re-create that moment as closely as possible WITHOUT A CABINET. So tracks that have effects, reverb, delays etc. are a bit more complicated. I would probably add a similar reverb before match EQing in your case. Same goes for delays etc. What I've done in these situations is to match EQ it quickly and then I'll hear much clearly how I should set the effects etc. Then match EQ it again with the new tweaked effects and the end result will be a lot better. This is what I did with my Periphery patch f.ex.

You are capturing the spectrum of what happens at a particular moment. You try to re-create that moment as closely as possible WITHOUT A CABINET. So tracks that have effects, reverb, delays etc. are a bit more complicated. I would probably add a similar reverb before match EQing in your case. Same goes for delays etc. What I've done in these situations is to match EQ it quickly and then I'll hear much clearly how I should set the effects etc. Then match EQ it again with the new tweaked effects and the end result will be a lot better. This is what I did with my Periphery patch f.ex.
I take it that it would help to know what gear the guitarist recorded with though? That'll help with getting a closer simulation?

I take it that it would help to know what gear the guitarist recorded with though? That'll help with getting a closer simulation?

Sure... in the second video I mention that you should use an amp simulator with the same kind of gain stage/structure. A Van Halen type of tone? Hmm... the guy designed the 5150. So I'd probably use that. What kind of reverb he used doesn't really matter... I'm pretty sure you won't be buying the hardware unit they used just so you can match EQ his tone. :)

And you'd be right!
Incidentally, are you using Ozone to play live with or just to create the IR with?