2008 Albums

New Gojira is rather impressive. i don't no if it beats Mars to Sirius but its seriously solid.

Also it took a while but the new Haunted is really clicking for me now and i am enjoying all of it bar the last few tracks.

Speaking of Morbid Angel....any news on their new album?
Latest news that I have is that they're working on it, they played a new song live during the festival tour this summer. Don't know if they're recording yet, don't know of a title or releasedate either, I definitely don't expect it to come out this year. Looking forward to it though, this could be the first really good Morbid Angel album since Domination.

Yeah that new song they played at Tuska this year was really good. It sounded a lot like c,d,f. Especially D. I liked it and so did everyone else I guess as the atmosphere was awesome!

Latest news that I have is that they're working on it, they played a new song live during the festival tour this summer. Don't know if they're recording yet, don't know of a title or releasedate either, I definitely don't expect it to come out this year. Looking forward to it though, this could be the first really good Morbid Angel album since Domination.

Hopefully it'll be good! David Vincent is back so it has to be at least a little good.:rolleyes:

:)Been lot's of cool stuff this year.

Opeth - Watershed.
Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe.
Anathema - Hindsight.
Draconian - Turning Seasons Within.
Amon Amarth - Twillight of the Thundergod.
Mar De Grises - Draining the Waterheart.
Moonspell - Night Eternal.
Daylight Dies - Lost to the Living.
Sibenbürgen - Revelation IV
Demiurg - The Hate Chamber.
Dawn Of Demise - Hate takes it's Form.

Biggest disappointment Mercenary - Architect of Lies:cry:

Scars on Broadway - Scars on Broadway

(yes, the cd from Malakian from SOAD)

I waited a long time to get this album, because I thought it sounded a bit boring and too much rockish..but must say, it's brilliant. He's actually a very good vocalist with nice diversity.

So, the list begins to take some shape

Virgin Black - Requiem - Fortissimo (I just don't think you can beat this composition)
The Sword - Gods of the Earth
Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery
Murder by Death - Red of Tooth and Claw still an awesome album
Opeth - Watershed
Agalloch - The White EP (I know it's an EP but fuck it. It's awesome.)
Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine
Moonspell - Night Eternal!!!!!
Daylight Dies - Lost to the Living (Don't care if it sounds like DD. It's still great)
Dark Suns - Grave Human Genuine

no order yet, just good albums.

Hindsight was a big disappointment to me. :(
I have only heard it 2 times though, but to me all the songs felt kinda slaughtered. This will sound stupid but I see no reason for me to put it on again since the originals are so much better.

There are only 2 songs on Hindsight that are as good as or better than the original to me.

Are You There? just because its basically a whole new song

and

Angelica

I think this thread is long overdue for an update. My list still isn't finished, but I figured I'd share my top 10 thus far. Overall, I'd have to say that this year has been an incredible disappointment for metal as a whole. There were bands I once thought could do no wrong that have made me completely retract that belief (Daylight Dies, Draconian, Mercenary, etc.). On the whole, I guess I just haven't been inspired enough to pick up the vast majority of metal albums released this year; there were a couple of really good ones and a few average ones, but most of the metal I've heard this year has simply been mediocre at best. That is not to discredit or dishearten any of the afore mentioned bands, merely to state my highly subjective opinion. That being said, if anyone has suggestions for good metal albums released this year, I'm totally willing to check them out.

So, without further ado I'll present my list.

1. The American Dollar- A Memory Stream

This band comes from Queens, NY. They are one of the most interesting post-rock bands I have heard and I would highly recommend their third album to all interested parties (their first two albums are excellent too).

2. Anathema- Hindsight

This is a band I'm sure most of you here are familiar with. While this album doesn't push any boundaries or show us anything new, the renditions of these classic Anathema songs are highly entertaining and recommended for any casual fan of the band (even though the album versions are superior).

3. Ashes Divide- Keep Telling Myself It's Alright

Formed as an offshoot of A Perfect Circle, Billy Howerdel's new band is excellent and while it retains some elements of APC, they manage to make it both engaging and fresh. It is a bit on the poppy side, but if you like bands like APC and the Smashing Pumpkins this should be right up your alley.

4. The Daysleepers- Drowned In A Sea Of Sound

The Daysleepers are a relatively new band. Formed in late 2004, they have released two EPs and one full length album. Their debut album is one of the most impressive shoegaze albums I have heard this year (and in general). Highly recommended to anyone that has even a passing interest in shoegaze or dream pop.

5. Lights Out Asia- Eyes Like Brontide

Prior to hearing this album, I knew nothing about the band. This is a solid post-rock endeavor.

6. M83- Saturdays = Youth

This album is one of the top releases this year, hands down. For those who don't know, this one man project from France has dabbled in ambient, electronic and now, shoegaze music. This is the most 80s album released this year and is definately recommended for those who have nostalgic feelings about the 80s.

7. Metallica- Death Magnetic

To be completely honest, I never thought a Metallica album after the 80s would ever make it to one of my top 10 albums lists. This might not be another Kill 'Em All or Ride The Lightning, but it is very catchy and the first studio album since Master Of Puppets I have been inspired to purchase. Although there have been complaints about the sound quality, it wasn't half as bad as the job on ...And Justice For All.

8. Scar Symmetry- Holographic Universe

What can I say? This is perhaps the best metal effort of 2008. Although it wasn't as catchy as their last album, this new album is solid and deserves its spot in the top 10.

9. Seba- Return To Forever

This is an interesting one. Seba is a drum and bass musician. This album is interesting, but perhaps the most notable thing about it is the guest appearance from Krister Linder in the song Blaze & Fade Out. The album is interesting enough on its own, but this song is one of the most incredible things I have ever heard. Seriously, if anyone here likes Krister Linder's music, do yourself a favor and at least check out this one song (it's on his Myspace page- http://www.myspace.com/kristerlinder).

10. Sigur Rós- Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust

This phenomenal Icelandic band makes some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard; this album is no exception. Anyone interested in amazing music sung in Icelandic would really benefit from hearing this album. The album was a grower for me at first, but now it's one of my favorites.

That's it for my top 10 list. All albums are listed alphabetically by band name - I don't want to go through the trouble of having to rank them. Hopefully someone will check out some of these bands out and, now that the year is slowly coming to a close, post more top 10 lists.

Well its been a great year for metal! New Bloodbath and Metallica would definitely make my top! Also Amon Amarth, Darkane, Eluveitie, Opeth, Scar Symmetry, Swallow the Sun and Catamenia