2008 Albums

here's half of my top 50, there's probably a handful on here people should check out

1. Anathema – Hindsight
2. Les Fragments De La Nuit – Musique Du Crepuscule
3. Skepticism – Alloy
4. Arcana – Raspail
5. Virgin Black – Requiem: Fortissimo
6. Have A Nice Life – Deathconsciousness
7. Opeth – Watershed
8. Agalloch – The White EP
9. Draconian – Turning Seasons Within
10. Moonspell – Night Eternal
11. Swallow The Sun – Plague Of Butterflies
12. Mar De Grises – Draining The Waterheart
13. Adebisi Shank – This Is The Album Of A Band Called Adebisi Shank
14. Transcending Bizarre – The Serpent’s Manifolds
15. Mörker – Höstmakter
16. Radigost – A Stellar Kingdom
17. Darkestrah – The Great Silk Road
18. Im Nebel – Vitriol
19. Cynic – Traced In Air
20. Lights Out Asia – Eyes Like Brontide
21. United Nations – United Nations
22. Blacklisted – Heavier Than Heaven, Lonelier Than God
23. Caina – Temporary Antennae
24. Made Out Of Babies – The Ruiner
25. Ours – Mercy (Dancing For The Death Of An Imaginary Enemy)

Has anyone had a chance to check out the new God Is An Astronaut album yet? Apparently, it was just released yesterday. I'm surprised it's out so soon. On first listen some of it is pretty good, but I'll have to listen more to see if it can actually hold up to their last 3 albums.

Check their Myspace page for songs from the new one:

http://www.myspace.com/godisanastronaut

Has anyone had a chance to check out the new God Is An Astronaut album yet? Apparently, it was just released yesterday. I'm surprised it's out so soon. On first listen some of it is pretty good, but I'll have to listen more to see if it can actually hold up to their last 3 albums.

Wow! I this is friggin good! Thanks m3! :)

I ordered it, so hopefully I can hear it in good quality soon

Wow! I this is friggin good! Thanks m3! :)

No problem. Glad you like it.

I ordered it, so hopefully I can hear it in good quality soon

I also ordered it, so I'm anxious to receive it. As far as the new album goes, I'm not really sure what to think of it. On the initial listen, I didn't like it as much as the last three albums, but it's starting to grow on me. Songs like Echoes, Zodiac and Remaining Light are absolutely phenomenal. Obviously, I'll have to listen to it a lot more before I come to my final verdict, but for now it's pretty good. It'll probably make it to my top 10.

So, who has the new Cradle Of Filth album yet and what do you think of it?

Don't worry, it's not a trick question, I actually think COF is great except for Thornography! The new one sounds better...ordered the special edition, just for old times sake (or because it cost very little extra)

And who has the new Satyricon and what do you think of it?
It's supposed to be their best ever according to the reviews I've read.

Cradle of Filth is surely an improvement from the previous, I was listening to it again yesterday and I was a bit overcome by this feeling of 'it's just more of what we already know from them', so I won't be buying this I think, I have enough CoF albums.

Satyricon I did buy, I like it, a good/solid album. I didn't like My Kin is Cold too much when I first heard it on the EP, but on the album I like it, fits in really well. Not their best album, but good/solid, I'm happy with it.

Cradle of Filth is surely an improvement from the previous, I was listening to it again yesterday and I was a bit overcome by this feeling of 'it's just more of what we already know from them', so I won't be buying this I think, I have enough CoF albums.

Satyricon I did buy, I like it, a good/solid album. I didn't like My Kin is Cold too much when I first heard it on the EP, but on the album I like it, fits in really well. Not their best album, but good/solid, I'm happy with it.

I still haven't gotten the bloody album..the COF one that is, but I'm guessing I'm going to feel almost the same way as you. I've heard some of the songs and I've said it before Soprano girls still suck big time on any album. Ok, I know, it maybe didn't use to be true and there are some good tunes out there, but it's DEAD now.Someone kill it again..Jezebel have actually become more skillful over the years, but it's just so very..yes, dead. I hope she's not on too many songs..

I should have bought the new Satyricon...

Here's my current 2008 list:

1 Infinitum - Behold Eradication
2 Bloodbath - Unblessing The Purity EP
3 Arghoslent - Hornets of The Pogrom
4 Hour of Penance - The Vile Conception
5 Ashes Divide - Keep Telling Myself It's Alright
6 Warrel Dane - Praises To The War Machine
7 Mourning Beloveth - A Disease For The Ages
8 Dismember - Dismember
9 Daylight Dies - Lost To The Living
10Legion of The Damned - Feel The Blade

My list so far:

1. IN MOURNING - Shrouded Divine
2. BLOODBATH - The Fathomless Mastery (add UTP to that as well)
3. DAYLIGHT DIES - Lost to the Living
4. COLDPLAY - Viva la Vida
5. TEXTURES - Silhouettes
6. OPETH - Watershed
=========================
7. SATYRICON - The Age of Nero
8. LIFELOVER - Konkurs (haven't listened to it enough yet)

Keane album is alright, again haven't listened to it much (but then I would have, if it was good enough!).

Death Magnetic is disappointing, don't feel the need to hear it at all. Sounds like a collection of demos.

The only album I still see working its way into this list is Steven Wilson's "Insurgentes".

Gotye was also a great discovery, but his last album was released in 2006 yet only released in Europe in 2008, still I count the original release date. Like Drawing Blood would have been high in the list otherwise!

Weren't you über in love with Death Magnetic early on? :p
Ehm no.

Before the album was out, I just expressed that the combination of Metallica and Rick Rubin could potentially result in an excellent album, just a shame it didn't turn out that way. And also, unlike 99,9% of the general prejudged crowd out there, I just didn't want to judge before I had actually had a proper listen of the album.