2009 METAL - OFFICIAL THREAD

meh, it's pretty bland. But then again, I never like anything past Brave Murder Day (back when they didn't suck)

All I've ever really liked was brave murder day also, but this album to me is just beautiful.
It's relaxing. And just a perfect album.

As far as 2009 goes, I think the best releases (IN MY OPINION) have been:
Illdisposed
Lifelover
The Lonely Island
Nazgul
Solstafir
Tyr
Glittertind
Vreid
Anal Nathrakh
The Cumshots
Blood Tsunami

But, the Lonely Islands was the best release of 2009, no doubt.

"Chex mix, youre the snack for me!"

I second the Tyr album...that shit has some amazing war tunes...and epic riffs. Probably in my top 5 albums of 09...

Has anyone heard this "Vandraren (Nordman Cover) It's a bonus track from Ensiferum's "From Afar" album, sung by the singer of Tyr...it kicks major ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except there's that little detail your missing about how, ya know, they don't suck now. Der.

Granted, the clean vocal stuff doesn't always appeal to metal fans, but I find it just as deep, textured, and moving as the first two...if not more. "Saw You Drown" and "Tonight's Music" will get me teared up faster than anything on the 'metal' albums.

I'm gonna give the Katatonia album a good listening to on my flight Monday. Saw you drown was good, I did enjoy that album. Im a fan of clean vocals, its just something about this album has reminded me of the slower songs of newer Opeth (which I dont like either.)

I second the Tyr album...that shit has some amazing war tunes...and epic riffs. Probably in my top 5 albums of 09...

Has anyone heard this "Vandraren (Nordman Cover) It's a bonus track from Ensiferum's "From Afar" album, sung by the singer of Tyr...it kicks major ass.

Not a fan of Ensiferum, but that song was pretty tits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think my top ten is finalized (though not the order)..I don't think any of these but #10 are likely to change.

Mono
Blut Aus Nord
Siena Root
Mournful Congregation
Shrinebuilder
Urna
Katatonia
Gungfly
Stabat Mater
Ulcerate

In no particular order...

Acrimonious - Purulence
Wolves in the Throne Room - Black Cascade
Redemption - Snowfall on Judgment Day
Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II
Arckanum - ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ
Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
Hypocrisy - A Taste of Extreme Divinity
Gorgoroth - Quantos Possunt Ad Satanitatem Trahunt
Katharsis - Fourth Reich
Teitanblood - Seven Chalices

I haven't heard the new Skeletonwitch yet, but if it's anything like their last, it'll go on here too.

This year had some great stuff, I felt.

I'm gonna give the Katatonia album a good listening to on my flight Monday. Saw you drown was good, I did enjoy that album. Im a fan of clean vocals, its just something about this album has reminded me of the slower songs of newer Opeth (which I dont like either.)

Just "Idle Blood" has that Opethian flare. But it's actually one of my favorite songs from the album.

No offense, but I kinda think it's lame how you keep calling the Opeth similarity a fault while simultaneously calling it a great song. I mean I don't care for Meshuggah but I'm not going to call it a flaw that Forsaker has a lot of influence from them when I enjoy the song a lot. I could go further but everything else I'd say on the subject would increase the chances of an Opeth discussion starting in this thread, thus ruining it.

No offense, but I kinda think it's lame how you keep calling the Opeth similarity a fault while simultaneously calling it a great song. I mean I don't care for Meshuggah but I'm not going to call it a flaw that Forsaker has a lot of influence from them when I enjoy the song a lot. I could go further but everything else I'd say on the subject would increase the chances of an Opeth discussion starting in this thread, thus ruining it.

If you notice, I never said I have an issue with the Opeth similarity. I pointed out that others would not like it. I like the song, and the Opeth styling is not a downside. Der.

@Arnez: We can be friends.

Mmk..

There are a couple faults, though. Two, to be exact.
1. The song 'Idle Blood'. It's a fantastic song. Very beautiful, very deep, very sad. But it sounds EXACTLY like something off of Opeth's Damnation. Not terrible if done right, but this is too similar.

From your review, it just sounded like you personally thought it was a flaw.

Mmk..

There are a couple faults, though. Two, to be exact.
1. The song 'Idle Blood'. It's a fantastic song. Very beautiful, very deep, very sad. But it sounds EXACTLY like something off of Opeth's Damnation. Not terrible if done right, but this is too similar.

From your review, it just sounded like you personally thought it was a flaw.
I should have been clearer. That is a fault that I expect others to find. I think it sounds quite good. The lyrical issue is actually my problem.

EDIT: I edited it.

Listen to "Inheritance" on Katatonia's new album if you haven't...

One of the deepest, most BEAUTIFUL songs I've EVER HEARD

I'M LISTENING TO IT NOW FOR THE 500TH TIME

AND IT'S SO FUCKING BEAUTIFUL

Funny, I've just been getting into the new Katatonia and my first thought about that song was "this is totally a rip-off of Watershed-era Opeth, but way better than any song on that album!"

Listen to "Inheritance" on Katatonia's new album if you haven't...

One of the deepest, most BEAUTIFUL songs I've EVER HEARD

I'M LISTENING TO IT NOW FOR THE 500TH TIME

AND IT'S SO FUCKING BEAUTIFUL

We can be friends.

My top ten list in no particular order:

Church of Misery - House of the Unholy
Altar of Plagues - White Tomb
Fen - The Malediction Fields
Wodensthrone - Loss
Austere - To Lay Like Old Ashes
While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lachrymose
Woods of Ypres - 4: The Green Album