2009 Music

So Paradise Lost say this next album will be heavier? What a surprise... I think thats been the story for the past 3 albums.

I'm really looking forward to the new A Perfect Circle tracks they're possibly releasing this year. They said no album plans, but hopefully that changes.

Entwine's new album, Painstained, is already out. It's pretty good if you're into the Finnish music scene.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to possible albums by the following bands: Amorphis, Anathema, De/Vision, Deftones, The Gathering, HIM, Katatonia, Killswitch Engage, Lacuna Coil, Mew, My Dying Bride, Orphaned Land, Paradise Lost, Porcupine Tree, Rapture, and Rumskib.

I'm listening to Fen's new album The Malediction Fields right now and I'm impressed. Fans of Agalloch and Wolves in the Thrown Room should really check this out.

Yeah, they're already recording the album actually, they post video updates from the studio every week, they've been working on it since December or something. And despite the fact that it's gonna be without Layne obviously, I'm still curious and hopeful about the result.

I heard the new guy when they first brought him in and he was alright. He had too much of a southern tinge from what I remember. But yeah, Layne was incredible and Jerry has great vocals as well. I am very interested in hearing what they put out.

So Paradise Lost say this next album will be heavier? What a surprise... I think thats been the story for the past 3 albums.
So? They kept their word, each album was indeed heavier than the previous one. In Requiem was awesome, so I have good hopes for the new one, especially since they're recording @ Fascination Street, so soundwise it should crush as well.

As far as I'm concerned they've reinvented themselves enough and I'd prefer they don't do so again on this record.

There has been one awesome release for me so far.

EREB ALTOR - By Honour

from Sweden playing music just like Bathorys epic albums. I never thought anybody would manage to sound like Bathory, but they have proven me wrong.

So? They kept their word, each album was indeed heavier than the previous one. In Requiem was awesome, so I have good hopes for the new one, especially since they're recording @ Fascination Street, so soundwise it should crush as well.

The whole heavier stuff makes me just sad. I didn't like In Requiem very much. It's not bad, but it's only ok+. It's just another back to roots album which is a pain in the ass, because I've got the old PL albums and don't need a new one sounding like the older ones with a tiny bit of new in it. If Katatonia does this, I'm going to snap. I don't believe they will, cause I seem to remember that they said something somewhere about not wanting to fall into that trap. (huzzah!)

MDB also did it on their last album..fucking stop it! Heavier doesn't mean shit if they don't evolve or try SOMETHING new..not talking about reinventing their sound, just experiment a bit...well, that's my so very strong opinion at this time of night. I guess I'm sounding more angry than I really am right now..but I'm just tired of fans screaming for "oh, I hope Nick goes back to growling again..that will be so cool" Focus on good song writing..and try for gods sake to do something a bit new..and yes, grow up. Let the younger teen angst bands growl it out. I just don't believe in 40 year old guys having THAT kind of darkness within when you've been THAT successful for so long...oh..here I go again. I'll go to bed now.

I also prefer bands that develop and try new things, but as for Paradise Lost, I liked their development from the first albums to Icon/Draconian Times and I can even appreciate One Second, but I never got into the albums after One Second. Host, Believe in Nothing and Symbol of Life did nothing for me. The self-titled album was a step in the right direction again and I absolutely loved In Requiem. In a way what they did there could be called surprising and new cause I considered Paradise Lost kinda 'lost' for me and never in my life expected them to deliver an album like In Requiem again. And as said, now that they're recording at Fascination Street, we're surely gonna have an amazingly sounding album and I'm pretty confident about their songwriting skills as well.

And everything else aside, I ALWAYS prefer a good 'unoriginal' album over a forced 'original/new' album.

On the good unoriginal album thing I agree for sure. But I do feel that In Requiem's heaviness was kinda forced rather than natural. Didn't even the band say that the heaviness was "for the fans" in some interview if I remember right? I suppose I just don't really feel it the way I felt Draconian Times. It's more a catchy album than something I'd take totally serious.

In Requiem has really grown on me as of late. I'm looking forward to the new one, but I wish they would forsake the heaviness next time in favor of something more experimental in the vein of Symbol Of Life and Host; not simply to rehash older albums, but to push the envelope and do something innovative.

In Requiem is the best PL album since Host, but obviously not nearly as brilliant as Icon and co. But anyways, my hopes for new PL album is high. In Requiem showed that Greg can still write damn good music.

2009 so far hasn't been very good when it comes to new albums, but there should be loads of great albums coming this year, like new PL, Anathema, etc (and hopefully also new K album). First great one, Callisto's Providence, is gonna be released 18th Feb:

http://www.myspace.com/callistochaos

:headbang: