25 Most Important METAL bands

opeth.. early stuff??

Cob- ya their music isn't that great, but they sure guided a lot of people in the right direction

Discovery said:
Who exactly have Opeth and CoB influenced? have they actually pioneered any new forms of music? Are they even good at what they do? No, they don't make the list.

COB have influenced a lot of the finnish bands such as imperanon, norther, kalmah, eternal tears of sorrow etc. also early cob is not bad music, its just when they turned towards the more agressive, less melodic downtuned more simplistic stuff that they're music started getting bad.

Necuratul said:
I agree with Opeth. They're definitely important, regardless of one's opinion.

Doom Metal:

Saint Vitus
Pentagram
Candlemass (as you said)
diSEMBOWELMENT
Evoken

Thrash Metal:

Sodom
Massacra (Death/Thrash)
Artillery
Sabbat (UK) and (Jap)
Heathen

Black Metal:

Tormentor
Master's Hammer
Root
Add Slayer, Anthrax, 'Tallica, Pantera, and Megadeth to the thrash.

MasterOLightning said:
Carcass did much in pioneering the modern melodic death metal sound that is so common today, as well as their grindcore stuff, which is more important than Napalm Death's. I'd have a hard time putting two grind bands, when grindcore is arguably not metal. It's a close call.

I think it is a bit of an over statement to say that Carcass' grindocre stuff is more important than Napalm Death's when Napalm Death essentially created the genre. Arguably, Napalm Death's album Scum was the first grindcore album to be made.

P.S. Hey all, this is my first post over in this forum...I usually browse the Opeth, Borknagar, Vintersorg, November's Doom, and Katatonia forums (although, I rarely post in any of them)...so theres a little taste of the music I like.

Here are the frontrunners so far, not in any order (that would be far too difficult.)

1. Black Sabbath
2. Iron Maiden
3. Judas Priest
4. Metallica
5. Slayer
6. Bathory
7. Carcass
8. Mayhem
9. Darkthrone
10. Burzum
11. Motorhead
12. Death
13. Possessed
14. Morbid Angel
15. Suffocation
16. Emperor
17. Mercyful Fate
18. Cathedral
19. Venom
20. Opeth
21. Dream Theater
22. Helloween
23. At the Gates
24. Celtic Frost
25. Fates Warning

EDIT: Tentative complete list.

Lost_Orchid said:
I think it is a bit of an over statement to say that Carcass' grindocre stuff is more important than Napalm Death's when Napalm Death essentially created the genre. Arguably, Napalm Death's album Scum was the first grindcore album to be made.

P.S. Hey all, this is my first post over in this forum...I usually browse the Opeth, Borknagar, Vintersorg, November's Doom, and Katatonia forums (although, I rarely post in any of them)...so theres a little taste of the music I like.
Meh, people talk about Reek of... and Necroticism all of the time here, and next to no one talks about Napalm Death. I think the consensus is that Carcass made the better albums. Being first is a lot apparently, but it isn't everything.

MasterOLightning said:
Here are the frontrunners so far, not in any order (that would be far too difficult.)

1. Black Sabbath
2. Iron Maiden
3. Judas Priest
4. Metallica
5. Slayer
6. Bathory
7. Carcass
8. Mayhem
9. Darkthrone
10. Burzum
11. Motorhead
12. Death
13. Possessed
14. Morbid Angel
15. Suffocation
16. Emperor
17. Mercyful Fate
18. Candlemass
19. Venom
20. Opeth
21. Dream Theater
22. Helloween
23. At the Gates

I think these are solid. It would take a good argument against any of these to knock them out. The last two spots I'm totally undecided on. Trad/power metal is set, and death metal is probably set. I think one more thrash band would be fair, since there are only two so far, and either one more doom or black metal band, possibly a funeral doom band would work. Make a case for someone.
Yes. Awesome list
*takes notes

MasterOLightning said:

1. Black Sabbath
2. Iron Maiden
3. Judas Priest
4. Metallica
5. Slayer
6. Bathory
7. Carcass
8. Mayhem
9. Darkthrone
10. Burzum
11. Motorhead
12. Death
13. Possessed
14. Morbid Angel
15. Suffocation
16. Emperor
17. Mercyful Fate
18. Candlemass
19. Venom
20. Opeth
21. Dream Theater
22. Helloween
23. At the Gates

I think these are solid. It would take a good argument against any of these to knock them out. The last two spots I'm totally undecided on. Trad/power metal is set, and death metal is probably set. I think one more thrash band would be fair, since there are only two so far, and either one more doom or black metal band, possibly a funeral doom band would work. Make a case for someone.
Celtic Frost is a must

MasterOLightning said:

1. Black Sabbath
2. Iron Maiden
3. Judas Priest
4. Metallica
5. Slayer
6. Bathory
7. Carcass
8. Mayhem
9. Darkthrone
10. Burzum
11. Motorhead
12. Death
13. Possessed
14. Morbid Angel
15. Suffocation
16. Emperor
17. Mercyful Fate
18. Candlemass
19. Venom
20. Opeth
21. Dream Theater
22. Helloween
23. At the Gates

Dude, only one power and one prog band are on there, and aside from Sabbath, Maiden, and Priest, the rest are either thrash, death, or black metal (extreme metal bands). How about Queensryche? Dio? Fates Warning? Manowar? (lame and cheesy and maybe even gay as hell, but very influential to power metal). Hey, maybe even Yngwie. He did spawn neo classical metal after all. And not only is he one of the most influencial guitarists, but Jens is one of the most influencial keyboardists.

I just don't see the need for Dream Theater, Queensryche, and Fates Warning. Dream Theater is more popular, made better albums, and has had the better career to this point.

Dio is a borderline case. I think that list already caters to the old timers enough anyway. Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Motorhead, Mercyful Fate, and Helloween should cover the early years well enough.