_THE_ Joey Sturgis POD patch preset settings HERE!

could some do me the huge favor of posting a few screen shots of the EQ for this plugin? im having trouble getting it right. im using logic 9 i have all the waves plugins but im not getting it right for some reason. also, joey says use "waves q1 12 hz lowpass" idk how to do this on q1 either. please help me out thanks

You "have all the waves plugins"? :err:

could some do me the huge favor of posting a few screen shots of the EQ for this plugin? im having trouble getting it right. im using logic 9 i have all the waves plugins but im not getting it right for some reason. also, joey says use "waves q1 12 hz lowpass" idk how to do this on q1 either. please help me out thanks

You aren't getting it right because instead of learning how to use an eq you ran off and downloaded a cracked version of all the waves plugins, thinking they would be the magic bullet that would make your recordings sound amazing.

Wrong! Just as a £4000 Paul Reed Smith is no good to someone who can barely play guitar. Cracked Waves plugins are no good to someone who doesn't know how to use them.

So instead of digging round torrent sites tonight read this:

http://musikality.net/tutorials/types-eq/

Now you should have a basic understanding of what different eq types do, and you should be able to start learning how to use them properly. Twist the knobs and use your ears to listen to how it changes the sound.
Don't put too much stock into presets and suggested eq settings. Even from Joey. After all you're using a different guitar and a different guitar player to him, your whole mix is different, and you're probably not even playing the same song. So even if you copy his exact settings you're unlikely to get the same sound.

You aren't getting it right because instead of learning how to use an eq you ran off and downloaded a cracked version of all the waves plugins, thinking they would be the magic bullet that would make your recordings sound amazing.

Wrong! Just as a £4000 Paul Reed Smith is no good to someone who can barely play guitar. Cracked Waves plugins are no good to someone who doesn't know how to use them.

So instead of digging round torrent sites tonight read this:

http://musikality.net/tutorials/types-eq/

Now you should have a basic understanding of what different eq types do, and you should be able to start learning how to use them properly. Twist the knobs and use your ears to listen to how it changes the sound.
Don't put too much stock into presets and suggested eq settings. Even from Joey. After all you're using a different guitar and a different guitar player to him, your whole mix is different, and you're probably not even playing the same song. So even if you copy his exact settings you're unlikely to get the same sound.

haha that is everyone at one point :p
i used to have a bunch of cracked stuff and i couldnt get it to sound good.
now i just use reaper and gvst/rea plugins :D

No one is going to want to help you with your pirated software. I'd say no to 100 stolen waves plugins because that shit is WRONG. Earn your stuff man. You might as well be going in someone's house and taking stuff.

When you search a lot, you'll find that there is a bunch of free plugins doing the same jobs as the Waves ones. Some are like carbon copies of it ;)
I'm sure your DAW does have an included EQ that will work just fine. I tried the Waves plugins, just to see why they are so damn expensive and well... I learned a lot from using it on "exercises" mixes, find out what plugins were useful for me and then just tried to find the best free version of it.

To be completley honest, i'm not just some kid thriving to sound exactly like joey. as Trevoire520 has stated, "go learn about an eq and learn how it works." i'm not trying to just get some pod presets, eq settings and awesome plugins to sit around in my apartment and make song after song that all sound exactly the same. the REASON i am asking for these screen shots, eq settings, etc is so i can actually SEEEE what experienced people are doing with their gear to get good sounds so i can learn off of them. I have only been recording in DAW for about 2 years so i cant call myself experienced. my proffessor uses the expression "surround yourself with people who are better at it than you" in this case it is EQing and just DAW related stuff in general. im trying to LEARN from it, not just some wannabe trying reap settings from people. and i got the plugins from a friend, more than likely cracked but none the less im not going to say no to 100 waves plugins. ANYWAYS, if anyone would like to shout out anything to help me with EQing these guitars and or decent eq's for the job, i would appreciate it. thanks

Seriously, pirating plugins is stealing... Not to mention you should be training your ears for this job, you should HEAR what experienced people are doing not focusing on SEEING what other people are doing.

I can't give more of a +1 to that previous post. I mean cut at 800 and 4k is only so good, you need to know why you're doing it. In the case of the pod it is to cut the scratchiness and the fizzy ring, but those aren't magic numbers it changes dramatically due to changes in guitar, pickups, di box, mic pre etc. I say just make a version of this "patch" with everything at noon and go from there and learn the hard way.

You actually got a lot of good advice even though you can't see it (and probably never will with your current attitude). It's all about listening, not presets.

It's a forum with quite a few audio-engineers earning their money with this stuff and re-investing it in software like Waves, what did you expect how they would react?
You don't go to your car dealer with a stolen car and ask how to to by-pass the door lock either..

To be completley honest, i'm not just some kid thriving to sound exactly like joey. as Trevoire520 has stated, "go learn about an eq and learn how it works." i'm not trying to just get some pod presets, eq settings and awesome plugins to sit around in my apartment and make song after song that all sound exactly the same. the REASON i am asking for these screen shots, eq settings, etc is so i can actually SEEEE what experienced people are doing with their gear to get good sounds so i can learn off of them. I have only been recording in DAW for about 2 years so i cant call myself experienced. my proffessor uses the expression "surround yourself with people who are better at it than you" in this case it is EQing and just DAW related stuff in general. im trying to LEARN from it, not just some wannabe trying reap settings from people. and i got the plugins from a friend, more than likely cracked but none the less im not going to say no to 100 waves plugins. ANYWAYS, if anyone would like to shout out anything to help me with EQing these guitars and or decent eq's for the job, i would appreciate it. thanks

dude

you've been using your DAW for two years, have a professor and STILL don't know how to setup a high cut (see what I did there?) on an EQ?

you have MUCH bigger problems than actually trying to justify using the stolen plugins

And stop trying to rationalize why you need to SEE people's examples of EQ settings ... listen to me now and hear me later ... IT WILL DO YOU NOT ONE FUCKING BIT OF GOOD. NONE. AT ALL

I'm not trying to sound like a dick, although you seem to be making great strides in that direction. Stop acting defensive when you are completely in the wrong, listen to what the guys are telling you, start READING a lot if you're so hell bent on using your fucking eyes, and then start LISTENING to what you are doing with the EQs you say you're comfortable working with.

say you're sorry, ditch the waves plugins, get back to using the ones that came with your DAW, use the search function and start looking at free alternatives if you absolutely must expand your plugin options and EXPERIMENT TO UNDERSTAND.

I do know how to set up a high cut with the logic plugs, im just not getting a good sound from it. If i came across as being a dick, i apologize, non intentional. I just trashed the Waves, because like i said i dont know how to use them and they werent doing anything but eating up space. If i ever need a waves plugin i suppose i can buy them individually but i have no use for 100 of them. anyways i guess ill just give it another shot as far as EQing goes.

^ atta boy!:headbang:

now if you're not getting a good sound from something, its likely not the EQ you're using but more likely what you're doing with the EQ. Now I know this could be a tempting spot to say "but thats why I asked to see how others do it" but that will get your hand slapped. There were straight up perfectly valid points that were made in a bunch of posts in the last page. Start searching around and read up on where and more importantly WHY people make the EQ choices they do for various instruments and situations and you will be no less than 3 steps further ahead than you would have been if someone just posted an EQ screenshot for you.

Its not a lie, I promise

to get you started (I found this using the search function btw)
http://transom.org/?p=7491

http://www.recordingwebsite.com/articles/eqprimer.php

thanks for the posts. ill be reading them both tonight. just gonna throw one question though, it seems like i should cut down a bit of the bass in the guitars and make up for it with the bass guitar right?

Yeah, most of the bass you hear on the "guitars" is really the bass guitar itself. Especially metal guitars tend to sound quite thin alone, but become heavy/fat/whatever with the bass guitar. It depends on the tuning, the guitarist and of course the kind of riffs played, but I low-cut at about 100 Hz, sometimes higher and sometimes lower.

If your guitars on their own sound similar fat and bassy as on a finished record, they probably have to much bass and won't cut through the mix later.. or they will get muddy.

If you followed the steps in the first post of this thread and your guitars don't sound good, theres probably something seriously wrong with the rest of the mix... because that should bring you 90% there

^ atta boy!:headbang:

now if you're not getting a good sound from something, its likely not the EQ you're using but more likely what you're doing with the EQ. Now I know this could be a tempting spot to say "but thats why I asked to see how others do it" but that will get your hand slapped. There were straight up perfectly valid points that were made in a bunch of posts in the last page. Start searching around and read up on where and more importantly WHY people make the EQ choices they do for various instruments and situations and you will be no less than 3 steps further ahead than you would have been if someone just posted an EQ screenshot for you.

Its not a lie, I promise

to get you started (I found this using the search function btw)
http://transom.org/?p=7491

http://www.recordingwebsite.com/articles/eqprimer.php

excellent links.

great for noobs