A Few Thoughts On the NVR vs. IE Thread

The old shit was fine when I saw them...better than fine, actually. Kirk has had a few issues with a wah pedal, but still kept up, and James was as awesome a guitarist as ever. I just hope they put that much energy into their new album.

-I wonder what's gonna happen when my creative writing classmates know how many lines my poems steal from songs?
Pyrus

Originally posted by Nevermore26
My main complaint about Kirk now, besides having the wah pedal planted firmly up his ass, is his laziness w/ the old solos. Now, he just noodles some scales, & calls that a solo. :mad:

Nevermore...

true, altho with some of them, he DOES play the solos, he just wahs it to hell...

also, that the Asbury Park show you got playin?

Originally posted by Pyrus
have you guys ever considered that randomly insulting people may cost Nevermore a few fans? Just a thought.
hahaha anyone that wouldnt like a band becuase someone on their msg board insulted them is a fucking idiot. what the fuck does that have to do with their music? not a damn thing. and if you read carefully, we only flamed people that flamed us first. if people said 'i like IE better becuase of blah blah' thats fine. but when they made personal attacks thats when the shit flinging started.
-neal

ps-neil on the IE board is a little cunt. if you run BBs with an iron fist its gonna get stale. all that he keeps are threads about how jon is god and how hes the best player ever and how the little asskissers wanna blow him. he deletes anything that questions the "greatness" of IE. thats fucking lame.

Lars sux bigtime ...azal "Focus" owns
Schaffer probably has parkinson ...
iced earth is just 2 hairs of nevermore's balls
musicaly , lyricaly, etc
did i mention that the average age of their crowd here now, is 14 years old kids ?

You don't say I didn't know what you are implying all the time, casue thats why it always a bore. wHEN LITTLE minds write something that people can get clickie too.

THRILL ME NOW....

anyone who considers Ulrich a great drummer loses all musical credibility. He even admits he was never very good. Christy is awesome, but he doesn't surpass Reinert's work in Cynic, Death, or Aghora, and Jarzombek's work on Spastic Ink is on par with Cynic (tied for best drumming performances I've ever heard). Asgeir Mickelson's work in Spiral Architect is pretty amazing as well. The guy from Power of Omens is great, as is the guy in this band "Dimension" I'm listening to now. Other greats are Gene Hoglan, Dave Lombardo, Greg Hall (from Sacred Reich), and the guy from Morbid Angel (Pete Sandoval I think). Comparing Lars Ulrich to any of those drummers will get you laughed out of any serious discussion.

Rumour has it that I have left Ultimate Metal, maybe for good. But your post just plain pissed me off dude. You've got no idea what you're talking about, and quite frankly, anyone who thinks that Nicko Mcbrain or Lars Ulrich is even 1/8th the drummer that Richard Christy is should be shot.

...And you my friend, should be shot.

Prepare to be ripped to shreds.

Vocals: Warrel is damn good, there's no denying that, but he has no clean voice...everything sounds scratchy. Vaguely reminiscient of that whiny shit from CKouRhnne or however the fuck you spell it; just, y'know, a good singer. Matt Barlow is one of the top vocalists in metal today; few can match his power. Warrel may be a bit more versatile in some ways, but you can tell that he hurt his voice back in the Sanctuary days. Matt just has so much force and emotion, and more range as well. IE 1, NVR 0

Yes, Warrel is damn good. "He has no clean voice" is a rediculous statement, especially coming from an iced earth fan. Need i mention The Sanity Assasin, The Sea of Possibilities, Silent Hedges or The Heart Collecter.

The only album where Warrel "Has no clean voice" is The Politics of Ecstasy, in all it's brilliance, as there is a hell of alot of vocal processing on that album, alot of natural -and- artificial distortion.

I like Matt Barlow's voice... but if someone is to be called "Scratchy" it should be him, not warrel. Barlow can't control his vibrato. That's the thing that kills his voice for me. The man simply cannot control his voice in the slightest. Especially earlier on in Iced Earth's albums, the vibrato is way over the top, it's not as bad these days, but it still happens, such as in The Phantom Opera Ghost, where he flat out loses control quite a number of times. There's also a couple of times on Something wicked where he blatantly warbles off key, and if it weren't for that, I would hold him in higher regard.

While i do personally prefer WD's tone and voice, even if you disagree with me on that, you can't argue that Barlow can't sing low at all. He has no deep voice whatsoever, not even when he speaks low on songs. Warrel has much more of an extreme range when it comes to low end, he doesn't lose control at that certain point like Barlow does, just like WD has more control over when he hits Falsetto, with barlow it happens at the same point, and it's so obvious that it's painful, it's like a 13 yr old boy's voice breaking.

Rhythm Guitar: Again, Loomis is in no way a shitty guitarist, but Jon has chops the likes of which I haven't heard since the glory days of Messrs. Hetfield and Mustaine. "My Own Savior," "Burnt Offerings," "When the Night Falls," "Angel's Holocaust"...the list goes on. The rhythm guitar is the most important element in a song, and while Jeff is more than adequate, Schaffer's riffage is above and beyond today's metal. IE 2, NVR 0

You are an idiot.

Do you play guitar yourself? If so, you're obviously not very good, and you've never tried to play songs like 42147, the learning or Beyond within. Loomis is the better rhythm player wether you like it or not. Schaffer's got a decently fast right hand, but anyone can keep up with him. In all honest, anyone that's been playing for a year or so can hear an iced earth riff, pick up a guitar and play it. It's not like that with Jeff's riffs at all, they are extremely catchy, but when you go to pick up the guitar, it's impossible to grasp what he's doing. I know, because i've been playing for about 13 years, both classically and metal taught, and i can play about five songs from Politics of Ecstasy, a few from the Debut and a few from DNB... and when it comes to iced earth, if you gave me an hour, i could work out a whole album, fills and all. Schaffer is a bad writer, it's all rehashed 80's metal riffs (listen to Demon's and wizards, and tell me that every single song off that cd is NOT the same... :rolleyes: ), speed picked power chords. Loomis is the better player hands down, and the better writer. Anyone who says that Schaffer is the better rhythm player has no idea what they are talking about.

Lead Guitar: Oh, no contest here. Jeff is absolutely BLISTERING when he solos, whereas Larry is more of a melody player - which Loomis does damn well too. Maybe it's because Jon isn't too into the concept of long solos - they just don't really fit in his songs. Whatever the cause, Nevermore wins this round handily. IE 2, NVR 1

Damn straight Jeff is the better lead guitarist. This is the only paragraph that you've written that so far makes sense. Where you go wrong is that you defend schaffer's lack of skill and lack of leads "Oh, leads wouldn't fit with IE's music", au contraire my friend, I sometimes sit down with an iced earth riff and write a long solo over it, or multiple solos for different songs, and it sounds great, it adds to the music what iced earth is missing. Schaffer can't play leads whatsoever, that's why there isn't any on Iced Earth records, he simply can't do them, and that's that.

Bass: Really kind of a push here...sometimes I can't tell what I'm looking for. Some of IE's best bass playing was on Horror Show, but since Stevie dicked over the band to go back to Testament (BAY AREA THRASH!!! \m/), they've gone back to the solid and über-tatooed James Macdonough. Sheppard rocks hardcore, and has done so for four-and-a-half albums. I guess I'm gonna have to give this one to Nevermore. IE 2, NVR 2

First of all, "Stevie" didn't "Dick the band" like you say. Schaffer is full of shit, and if you don't beleive me, scoot over to "Stevie's" forum here and ask him yourself. No contract was made, he was a session musician right of the bat, and Schaffer new that. Now that the unpleasantries are done, lets get on with it.

Neither band has a bassist that really does anything particularily grand, with the exception of the cool fretless bits on horrorshow. The bass isn't a focal point for either band, and in fact you can hardly hear it in most IE records. Sheppard is amazing, because he keeps up with jeff on POE and DNB. While he's not doing anything particularily ground breaking, it's pretty damn hard stuff to do on a bass, especially stuff like 42147, that riff is a nice stretcher for a bassist. And about IE's bassist, refer up to what i've said about schaffer, and note that the bassist doesn't play anything different to schaffer, and schaffer himself doesn't play anything great.

Drums: Richard Christy is GODLIKE...only Scott Travis, Nicko McBrain, and Lars Ulrich during the 80's and early 90's (or REALLY motivated now) can hope to surpass him. However, he's only been with the band for one album; Van Williams has been playing monster grooves with Nevermore for the past seven years or so. As somebody mentioned, Richie is more of a speed player against Van's flowing, jazz-influenced(?) beats, so it's hard to compare. But I'll go with the Seattle boys on this one. IE 2, NVR 3 }

Yes, richard christy is godlike. BUT he is held back something chronic on Horrorshow... go and get a real Christy record, like Death's "The Sound of Perseverance" and listen to what he can do when there's a decent guitarist playing in front of him.

Your comment about Nicko McBrain and Lars actually made me laugh. Nicko is the better of the two, but neither men have ever been good drummers. "Kicksnarekicksnare" yeah, that's great guys, it's the same thing and same fill for every song... where did you learn to drum? Oh, that's right, you DIDN'T learn to drum :rolleyes:

Lars was, at one point, an INCREDIBLE drummer with a great sense for music and exactly where to place everything

Again, Lars was never a good drummer. He keeps the beat, like every pop drummer does, nothing special. The only album where he was even half okay was ...And Justice for all, Metallica's most brilliant album, one of my favourites ever, and that's because he recorded it basically phrase by phrase. Have you ever heard them play dyers eve live? No. No you haven't, because he can't play it live, it was recorded section by section, he is a horrible drummer, and has always been.

Also refer to what Jimbob said. You're gunna get laughed at if you say that dude. You could go and pick up a pair of drumsticks and drum to just about any metallica song you wanted, fills and all, in about ten minutes. Wanna try that with seven tongues of god or Next in line? I think now.

Lyrics: Probably gonna catch heat for this, but how many times can you say "Drugs are not as bad as murder!" before it gets old? I know I'm generalizing, but I like Jon's varied, emotional approach more than the stuff Warrel writes. Even though Horror Show was a bit weighty on the cheese factor for some songs, the moral allegories of "Frankenstein" and "Dracula" were pretty kickass. And as a fiction writer, I'm very into the lyrical aspect of stuff like Night Of the Stormrider and the Something Wicked trilogy. That being said, Dreaming Neon Black drips awesomeness like a gravy-soaked turkey (mmm, turkey), and I'd love to see Dane write that novel he's talked about. In any case, Iced Earth by inches. IE 3, NVR 3

YOu're making it REAL hard for me not to flame you dude. Lets take some Iced Earth lyrics for starters:

So the beast resides in me Deep down I always knew I never really did fit in So diverse from all of you Let him who understands Know the number of the beast It's a number of a man A number just for me

Idiotic is all i can say. Now, we take some nevermore lyrics:

"Time has no meaning for me. She is gone,
and the void speaks to me"

You paint the sky in obsidian lies
And come what may never will I know how you changed time
The riptide lies ahead, all my passions now are dead
I can see the path you never thought to follow
I feel so hollow

I stand before you, a shadow of a man
Behind these eyes self destruction swims through my mind
I'm confusion and contempt, I am the void
You are the emptiness of black tomorrow
I feel so hollow

Compare the two. A song about a guy with bolts in his neck and a 15 inch dick, or the song about a lost love being brainwashed in front of your eyes... Yeah, iced earth writes better lyrics :rolleyes:

Songwriting: An oft-overlooked aspect of music - structure and timing. Where are the solos? Do you play the intro for four measures, or eight? When does the vocalist break in with his spine-chilling scream? Iced Earth is the clear winner here - Jon's approach to running the band may raise some hackles among you damn Commies , but he writes perfectly structured songs with wicked riffs. Take "The Hunter" as an example. Nevermore has a bad habit of "musical masturbation" - that is, going into displays of mind-blowing talent that serve no real purpose. Prog bands are infamous for this. They've gotten a lot better with DHIADW, but PoE had some REALLY bad moments. IE 4, NVR 3

No. Schaffer, just like old metallica, writes the blatantly obvious, and inherantly more catchy tunes. Nevermore is food for thought, Iced earth is simply a bite from a sour apple.

The Politics of Ecstasy is a brilliant peice of songwriting, a song that's easy to get into, like next in line, or this sacrament conveys musical maturity that iced earth couldn't even dream about... then there is the "Musical masturbation". Nevermore have never been a wanking band, and jeff isn't a wanking guitarist. I don't see any shrill excessive sweeps, or runs from the first to the 24'th fret... there's none of that. Progressive metal is where it's at dude, it's art, and someone that thinks that Iced Earth are better writers than Jeff Loomis has no clue. You would honestly say that "violate" is a better written peice of music than Matricide, or Beyond within? Hell, even Iced Earth's better stuff (Like The Coming Curse) isn't as good as nevermore's worst stuff (Narcosynthesis etc).

Now, lets get something straight buddy, Dead Heart is a terrible album compared to older nevermore, or even sanctuary... they haven't improved at all... they are becoming iced earth. Take a look at Horror Show and Dead Heart, the songs are interchangeable between each other, it's basically the same album from both bands... and that's pretty sad, considering The Dark Saga and POE were light years apart a while ago...

Politics of Ecstasy has only ONE bad moment, and that's Passenger. You're obviously not a musician, at least not a good one, you're also obviously not a journeyman or a seeker either, you want a peice of mean slapped in front of you dripping in sauce and a can of beer (Iced Earth, simple music dressed up with catchy melodies and catchy choruses), whereas I prefer a nicely cut steak sandwich with a glass of juice on the side (Nevermore, complex music conveying the journey though someone's dreaming mind).

Granted, Iced Earth have their merits, but to say things like "Schaffer is a better rhythm player" and "Schaffer has the rhythm chops", when quite frankly he has, and is neither... simply doesn't do too much for your credibility

If you want simple, mindless music, go listen to creed, they've actually got a better guitarplayer than schaffer... but if you want to think, and you want to dream, then come back to the nevermore board and we'll have a chat.

I hope this doesn't turn into a flaming thread, ok I do. Anyway, I just wanted to tell Pyrus, don't judge ledmag or neal by the iced earth vs. nevermore thread. It was obviously set up for senseless flamming. They're really both cool guys. Now, I really don't have anything to say to what you said since that has already been done, probably wouldn't have anything to say even if it hadn't been done. I just wanted to state something that everyone else seems to be stuck on, and that is that none of the members of Nevermore seem to be visiting this board and when they do, they ignore obvious threads made for them. I say give them a little longer. Atleast until they get into the studio to give updates, and also they do have other lives than this board (I know for a lot of us here, that is hard to comprehend). Given, they do seem to be turning into * rock stars *, but ignore that and wait. Patience. And speaking of talking to the fans, it seems to me that Schaffer seems to be a guy that does care about the fans. I don't know for sure, he just comes across that way. Sure, he can lie, but it does build up hype. Really that's the only way I can defend Iced Earth after what Trapped said. Still like them though.

NEAL***
hahaha anyone that wouldnt like a band becuase someone on their msg board insulted them is a fucking idiot. what the fuck does that have to do with their music? not a damn thing. and if you read carefully, we only flamed people that flamed us first. if people said 'i like IE better becuase of blah blah' thats fine. but when they made personal attacks thats when the shit flinging started.
-neal

ps-neil on the IE board is a little cunt. if you run BBs with an iron fist its gonna get stale. all that he keeps are threads about how jon is god and how hes the best player ever and how the little asskissers wanna blow him. he deletes anything that questions the "greatness" of IE. thats fucking lame.
NEal said my peice ***NEAL

I agree with neal.

Pyus,,,dude, you obviously need attentintion worse then I do. You know SHIT. Thats it. Go back to the non free board you came from...THE IE one.

ANd what neal didnt say.......MY MAN TRAPPED DID.

Get with the fucking program here.

ANother thing, you could have helped us make the IE VS NEVER thread bigger, but noooooooooo, you had to make yourself a little thread didnt you.