akerfeldt is a funny guy

:) Nice to know he is familiar with Orphaned Land... 2 points for Mike.

testwind5dv.gif

wtf is that?

he said something like:
"I love cock rock, if I wasn't too ugly and had hair like ( tries to illustrate cock rock hair), I would be a cock rocker." :) That was funny.

FRUGiHOYi said:
hey they call themselves death metal

...actually when I saw them Mike said hey do you want to hear some more
BLACK metal. not death. and according to iTunes genre thing, (although that sucks, KMFDM is dance in there) opeth is just plain metal. I see them as more of an avant-garde black metal band, with some of everything mixed in.

Black Metal? Opeth has no evidence of any black metal in their music, other than it is heavy. There's no blastbeats, hardly, if any, tremolo, no high pitched screams, and most of all, no corpse paint. If it wasn't for the progressive sections in their music, Opeth would be a melodic death metal band. Period.

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
testwind5dv.gif

wtf is that?
uh a guy called testament of this video game guilty gear x

Misseriah said:
By comparison, if Hitler walked into Turkey, he would be awesome in Turkey.
not really. that was to point out their awsomeness in turkey cus i havent seen them in another country unfortunately...yet:p i might move up to sweden, get a restriction order of Mikael being forced to be my dad and rape Martin Axenrot:p woah doesnt sound so hard when thinking.

blacksummer said:
sure and he would be welcome :Smokin: :loco: :headbang:
whaa?! i mean first thing id do is to grab my shotgun and bash him in the head if such an incident was possible. No matter what, i wouldnt want any thug in my country cus theres so many of them here already:p

no seriously though, he was a dumbass who misunderstood what Nietzche said and murdered thousands. he wouldnt be welcome even in our sewers.

Misseriah said:
Black Metal? Opeth has no evidence of any black metal in their music, other than it is heavy. There's no blastbeats, hardly, if any, tremolo, no high pitched screams, and most of all, no corpse paint. If it wasn't for the progressive sections in their music, Opeth would be a melodic death metal band. Period.

Actually as I always end up saying there is far more BM in their early works vocally and atmosphere wise. And guitarwise it doesn't ever sound particularly DM or BM, but whatever. The vocals are more DM since Still Life.

They were influenced by DM (see Morbid Angel) and toured with a bunch of BM bands who were around at the same time in the early days, so obviously it had some influence on them.

But its commonly agreed that Opeth are a Prog Death Metal band, whether that is accurate or not, its what most people know them as, so if we have to give them a genre that is as unaccurate as any other it may as well be that. There isn't really a lot of prog going on either... more ambient on Ghost Reveries, folk on earlier stuff etc... its progressive in its nature of... well, progressing, and obviously the band like prog.

But they are no more prog than they are DM, (see camel rip off and MA rip off...) but the point is, most Opeth fans are either fans of extreme metal (DM,BM,PM, whatever) or Prog(rock, metal, whatever) so they dub the band prog death metal. And as always, its the fans who decide the genre because clearly the band don't care.

Uh... and something about him being funny... or was that another thread? :lol:

The 1st few times I saw Opeth they always introduced themselves after playing the opener

"We are Opeth from Stockholm, Sweden & we are a Death Metal band"

That pretty much sums it up.

He even said this on the Damnation tour when no Death vocals were delivered.

Mike doesn't introduce the band anymore (well except at SOTU) thanks to their growing popularity. Well maybe he does elsewhere in the world, but not when I've seen them in the US.

Powers said:
We've morphed waz in an adjective now? wazzian?

Waz i congratulate you, you are an epoynym.

AHA...!!!......thats not a word...!!!......o well.......i appreciate the honor of mentioning thine,....!!!........PEAC EOUT

Misseriah said:

borderline insult attempt?

Raistlin Majere said:
no seriously though, he was a dumbass who misunderstood what Nietzche said
Not really, he was a genious who conquered half of europe and managed to unify a country destroyed by war and got back the pride and nationality sense of the germans...
Can't say much about his methods though :p