Arrival Times in Atlanta for ProgPowerVIII

Wednesday @ 1:16pm on AirTran. I'll be hanging around for a while waiting for Jeff (manowarfan1) and Rick (See You In Hell), but I don't know how we should all meet up since were coming in on different airlines. I've been to ATL plenty of times, but have never planned to meet other people. Is there a good meeting place that central to everyone and easy to find? Or perhaps by baggage claim?

There are two baggage claims, North and South, so that might not be wise. :)

The best and most central place to meet people is at the top of the escalators coming up from the Transportation Mall, i.e., the trains from the Concourses. Everyone who arrives from Concourses A-E must pass through that point, and this is the traditional 'meeting spot' for arriving passengers to hook up with friends and family. It can get somewhat crowded, and people often use signs to make themselves more visible.

Note that passengers on flights arriving at Concourse T ('the T Gates') can enter the terminal via a different way, but the odds of arriving at those gates are low.

Note that passengers on flights arriving at Concourse T ('the T Gates') can enter the terminal via a different way, but the odds of arriving at those gates are low.

That would be me. I just have to be different.

American Airlines uses that concourse. Once you deplane you have to go DOWN an escalator to their baggage claim and then UP a different escalator to the main terminal. The only time I've not flown into, or out of, the T concourse was my second year at PP (first year flying) and I didn't take American.

I will be at the Grenada with my hunny Bobby late Wednesday evening. :) Don't know exactly what time though as we're making a stop somewhere before settling in for the night :) I'd make a guess of perhaps 9pm? Maybe earlier :) All depends on how things go.. haha We might pop into the hotel to drop things off before heading out though. This is also my first year :O I knew about it last year but couldn't go due to personal reasons :( But i'm on my way this year! Woohoo!

I'll keep an eye out for you...I'm scheduled to come in Wednesday at 4:30. With US Airways, though, I don't have high expectations for an on-time arrival...

:zombie:OMG! How can you fly US airways after the trying to land episode last year? That was freaky.. and on the way back I almost had to stay the night in Phoenix airport cause there was a massive delay, then I had to pick up my baggage at the home airport the next day ugh. So never again will I fly US airways.

I will be getting in at 2:25pm AirTran and heading to the Marta area.

Pellaz, isnt there only one place the Marta takes off from the airport?
It is to the left end of the main baggage area?

That would be a good place for everybody to meet and ride together.

There are two baggage claims, North and South, so that might not be wise. :) ............ It can get somewhat crowded, and people often use signs to make themselves more visible.
Okay, that sounds like a good idea! Thank you!

I'd make a guess of perhaps 9pm? Maybe earlier :) All depends on how things go.. haha
So no Oliva for you two? :erk:

Might be, but I will be waiting for a few hours, so I'd like to take advantage of the airport's food courts, a/c, and bathrooms. Unless I'm mistaken and this MARTA station is located indoors... ?

Might be, but I will be waiting for a few hours, so I'd like to take advantage of the airport's food courts, a/c, and bathrooms. Unless I'm mistaken and this MARTA station is located indoors... ?

It seems like we've always caught the MARTA in the same spot in the airport, but it could be a coincidence if American and Air Train happen to have the same baggage claim area. It is just after the baggage claim.

Yes, that does help, thank you. But once I leave the terminal and go to the MARTA station, I'm pretty much stuck there and can't go back in, right? Or can I?

Once you pass through the security gates you canno go back, go forward to the restaurants and shops, the atrium(big domed area
with seating canno miss it) maybe there is where people should meet. Yes, when you get to the entrance to the Marta you pay for your ticket at the booth or kiosk thingy then you go through the flip bars and up stairs to the Marta, you canno go back unless you want to pay again nw! But if you would like we can meet up and ride together? I have done it 4-5 times, canno remember right now but I am a viking I mean a veteran hehe!

It seems like we've always caught the MARTA in the same spot in the airport, but it could be a coincidence if American and Air Train happen to have the same baggage claim area. It is just after the baggage claim.

American and AirTran both probably use the North Terminal Baggage Claim (just about everyone does except Delta), so you're probably right.

Yep, there is only one MARTA station entrance. However, if you don't all meet at the top of the escalators, I'd suggest meeting in the Atrium, since it's centrally located, has restrooms and restaurants nearby (including the sacred 'Superior' Houlihans), and it just looks really cool. And it has comfy chairs!

That would be me. I just have to be different.

American Airlines uses that concourse. Once you deplane you have to go DOWN an escalator to their baggage claim and then UP a different escalator to the main terminal. The only time I've not flown into, or out of, the T concourse was my second year at PP (first year flying) and I didn't take American.

Delta and...someone else....also use it, usually for their big jumbo jets -- it was originally the international concourse and the jetways and waiting areas are all designed for tall aircraft and lots of passengers. I like the T-Gates because there are some nice restaurants and upscale stuff out there -- Red Brick Tavern, etc.

BTW, there is an air-side interconnect from Concourse T to the 'transportation mall,' so it is possible to arrive there and still come out the 'usual' way. On the map, it's shown as 'escalators to trains and Concourses A-E.' I'm sure it'd be quicker to go directly out to the terminal, though.

American is the only airline at Hartsfiend that has that weird, mutant basement baggage claim. I guess they like being different, but it's worth it, with less crowds and hassle.

Hmm, I just noticed I mistyped Hartsfield, and I'm leaving it that way. :heh:

Once you pass through the security gates you canno go back, go forward to the restaurants and shops, the atrium(big domed area with seating canno miss it) maybe there is where people should meet.

Yep, there is only one MARTA station entrance. However, if you don't all meet at the top of the escalators, I'd suggest meeting in the Atrium, since it's centrally located, has restrooms and restaurants nearby (including the sacred 'Superior' Houlihans), and it just looks really cool. And it has comfy chairs!

Well that solves it! Everyone - I'll be in the Atrium, sipping a smoothy and sitting in a comfy chair! :lol:

Hartsfiend! ha!

I, along with my buddies Roy and Garrett (PP Virgin!) will be driving in from Montgomery AL. We hope to arrive at the Residence Inn around 3:30-4:00PM on Thursday. I'll be wearing my PPVII shirt if you wanna say hi.

:zombie:OMG! How can you fly US airways after the trying to land episode last year? That was freaky.. and on the way back I almost had to stay the night in Phoenix airport cause there was a massive delay, then I had to pick up my baggage at the home airport the next day ugh. So never again will I fly US airways.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess my emotional scars healed more quickly since I wasn’t looking out the window and didn’t actually *see* the other plane headed for our runway. (Although I could sure *feel* that the initial attempt at landing didn’t quite go according to plan…)

Good to hear that you’re making the trip again…and that you found a cheaper fare on a better airline!

Manowar, Great Reference.

"And in a 1/2 hour the big Coney"

I was planning to take a cab from the airport to the hotel since i don't know my way around Atlanta. Seems like this Marta thing is popular/effiecent.

I'm staying at the REsidence Inn.

I was planning to take a cab from the airport to the hotel since i don't know my way around Atlanta. Seems like this Marta thing is popular/effiecent.

There are very few things in Atlanta that I can point to and say "THAT was a great idea! THAT rules!"

--But the MARTA direct connection to the airport is one of them. It's something that not even LaGuardia or JFK Int'l Airport have.

Enjoy it! :kickass:

Now if they'd just get off their collective political asses and build the long-awaited intermodal station downtown (integrated Greyhound, MARTA, Amtrak and regional rail station), THEN we'd be cooking with gas. It's only been promised since.....oh......1994. This, my friends, is why the Atlanta bus terminal is still basically an overgrown redneck's trailer.

And about that Northern Perimeter Arc..... :heh:

Manowar, Great Reference.

Definitely take the MARTA - it's somewhere around $2 from the Airport to where you'll be exiting (N5 - Arts Center I believe) - you go out and walk a couple of blocks and you are at the hotel. If I recall correctly it takes between 30-45 minutes - you can imagine what a cab would cost (not cheap I'm sure) - and odds are on the Marta you'll end up with some fellow attendees and have someone to chat with and pass the time away.
See ya there,
Jeff

Definitely take the MARTA - it's somewhere around $2 from the Airport to where you'll be exiting (N5 - Arts Center I believe) - you go out and walk a couple of blocks and you are at the hotel. If I recall correctly it takes between 30-45 minutes - you can imagine what a cab would cost (not cheap I'm sure) - and odds are on the Marta you'll end up with some fellow attendees and have someone to chat with and pass the time away.
See ya there,
Jeff

That's a good bet. I don't think I've never not run into anyone on the Marta.

-Metal